Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New Coils coming for the Deus

Posted by tmanly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New Coils coming for the Deus
April 18, 2012 11:42PM
Post on another forum by XP Tech says that 2 new coils will be out in 2013. An 11" and a 5" coil. This should make things interesting if it is true.

Tom in SC
Re: New Coils coming for the Deus
April 19, 2012 01:06AM
I have the Deus. But at 500.00 a pop they better offer something different. For example the big coil that exists now gets good reviews for added coverage area, but everyone who has one reports no added depth.

And my stock coil busts through the iron just fine by upping the speed. I really don't think a smaller coil is needed by me.

What I would like to see is a software update. A volume control for each of the tones. The analog meter is useless. And maybe one or two blank save spots.
April 19, 2012 01:53AM
The stock coil is fantastic in iron heavy locations, A small 5" coil would be even better for target seperation and identification. Iron has a volume control and that is the only thing that I would want to turn down. but only to where it would not over-ride near by ferrous targets. How old is your Deus? Mine does not have a analog meter, it is digital. You can save any setup into one of the stock slots and if you change your mind it is easy to
restore the original. the cost of coils are so much because it is basically a new detector as it houses the electronics. I am sure that a software update will be coming if only to address target ID's here in the states but I think it will take a while to get the correct feedback from users.

Tom in SC
April 19, 2012 02:20AM
A 5" coil on the DEUS, hmmm...Tom would need to re-test all over again in the iron.
Real interesting to see how it then compares to the LTD SE!
April 19, 2012 02:25AM
There is an analog bar along the top of the meter screen. It basically shows the same info as the digital meter. I really have not paid that much attention to the bar on the right either. What is it? A ground mineral bar?
I ground balance with tracking. I have hunted two places now where the pumping needed updated.

I was trying to incorporate a tone for nickels into a custom program. Just a high tone for about 8 VDI numbers in the nickel range. To make a long story short I ran out of tones. If you want to run all metal the first two tones need to be the same. The first tone is always tied to discrimination. Maybe I asked for the wrong thing with a volume control for each tone. I would like to seperate the first tone from the discrimination settings.

I think the program names are a gimmick. Give me 4 basic programs. I can do adjustments from there.
April 19, 2012 12:35PM
If a 5" DD coil is released for the DEUS............ and it retains most of the depth capabilities of the 9" DD coil........... this could be a true 'game-changer'............. and a clear/new 'flagship' will be born. As it stands.............. the GMP/DEUS are parallel/tied with other units as 'flagship' status.
April 21, 2012 01:11PM
they need stronger headphones as the present design backphones break at the folding joint very easilly and are not covered under `warranty .
if you break them they blame you for being heavy handed instead of admitting that the design is fragile

its a common problem in the UK and they charge you for a repair even if you break them a week after you buy them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2012 01:13PM by diggers.
April 21, 2012 01:18PM
diggers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> they need stronger headphones as the present
> design backphones break at the folding joint very
> easilly and are not covered under `warranty .
> if you break them they blame you for being heavy
> handed instead of admitting that the design is
> fragile
>
> its a common problem in the UK and they charge you
> for a repair even if you break them a week after
> you buy them

Didn't you know, that you buy the replacement headband for the Xp Deus and it is 19 dollars.
April 21, 2012 04:19PM
I am not sure a 5" would find more. The 9" works VERY VERY well for me.
April 21, 2012 04:58PM
You are so right. For being a 9 inch coil it sure manages to pull the signals from the iron. I can tell you one thing. I will never be able to go back to slow recovery detectors after the Deus. My E Trac is getting dusty.
April 21, 2012 08:41PM
I like the 9" real well... I'd consider getting the 11" if it has a better center of weight dist..... Just to have a spare coil. I'd have to see how well a 5" would detect before I bought one... But man that would be light!
April 21, 2012 09:29PM
It's worth pointing out that as the coil AND the coil electronics are inside the wireless XP 'coils', the designers have more freedom to change sensitivity (and possibly more). To illustrate: take a conventional detector, swap the coil from an 8 inch to a 4 inch. The detector electronics circuit is unchanged, so the depth reduces, as determined by physics (size of coils,number of turns etc etc). If you could rebuild your detector specifically to suit a 4 inch coil, you might decide it would work better if the coil had more turns on its receive-coil-winding, and less amplifier gain in the electronics (just an example).This flexibility is available to XP's engineers, which could allow them to, say make a 3 inch coil that behaved like a 5 inch one.
April 21, 2012 09:48PM
Pimento Wrote:
> It's worth pointing out that as the coil AND the
> coil electronics are inside the wireless XP
> 'coils', the designers have more freedom to change
> sensitivity (and possibly more). To illustrate:
> take a conventional detector, swap the coil from
> an 8 inch to a 4 inch. The detector electronics
> circuit is unchanged, so the depth reduces, as
> determined by physics (size of coils,number of
> turns etc etc). If you could rebuild your detector
> specifically to suit a 4 inch coil, you might
> decide it would work better if the coil had more
> turns on its receive-coil-winding, and less
> amplifier gain in the electronics (just an
> example).This flexibility is available to XP's
> engineers, which could allow them to, say make a 3
> inch coil that behaved like a 5 inch one.

Well said.

And it would also mean they could essentially release a coil to be optimized at a certain frequency since the detector is inside it. And this is what Keith was talking about when he said future XP Detectors would be wireless and just more specific than the Deus, the later being the flagship. But lets say I want the Deus to work as well at 4.6 kHz as the GMax II (and I do ;-), well then, why not release a GMax II coil that only works at that frequency (at least works best there.)? That is an interesting option and it does open up a whole new can of worms...
April 21, 2012 11:15PM
I suspect these coils are intended for other XP machines.

The 9" is perfect for detail work and the 11"X13" is great for coverage.

IF they put out another coil...it would most likely be in the 11" range.

HH Joe
April 21, 2012 11:37PM
This detector continues to intrigue me. If I had the extra money I'd get one of them and the Blisstool too, but I decided to be the guinea pig and go with the Bliss. Even still, I may get one of the Deus machines later on down the road when money is better and the dealers have them in stock. I understand that they are backordered here in the US from the dealers here, and are only getting limited amounts of machines per month. Since my relic season is over now anyway, this will give me all summer to sit back and read and see what comes down the pike with it. Who knows, may even snag a used one before long. The key to this machine is for sure the versatility of it...I like coil options in a machine and that would open the gate big time for me. Then again I say the same thing about the AT Pro...if somebody makes a bigger DD aftermarket coil, I'd be all over it. LOL
April 22, 2012 12:34AM
As already stated the Blisstool is for certain kinds of hunting. Less trashy areas where the objective is for relics and digging deep.

If I had to put a label on the Deus I would call it a detector for trashy areas. I have no idea how it performs in your dirt. But I know it isn't hitting the targets I have seen in the Blisstool demonstrations.

From reading your posts and replies to others I feel confident in saying you made the correct choice.
Anonymous User
April 22, 2012 12:41AM
I have the E-Trac and I have the Deus. They are both capable machines. If the E-Trac didn't have the weight issue and the reactivity was just a little faster - there would be no need for a Deus.
It is not the miracle of machines. Target ID is lacking...depth (even tweaked properly) is lacking.
For the surface 8" it's an easy machine to get used to.
My opinion and I've logged over 150 hours of hard core use on it.
April 22, 2012 01:40AM
Anyone who has been detecting for any period of time do not rely on VID numbers. Only tones, which the Deus does not have any problem getting great depth and very good target analysis by tone variations.
The Deus has the ability to hunt in any location and find good targets. It just takes time to master. Some of the best machines out are tone only and do not have a display at all. It just seems that the Blisstool
with one single tone and only iron discrimination will cause more people to become discouraged by all the trash that they will dig. Now this is not a bad thing as this is how you find those better targets.
But when 99.9% of foil signals are actually foil and only 5% of the total targets are foil signals, then that is a lot of junk.Now as you say the unit is not for modern sites. well here a lot of historic sites are also modern sites as well. So I can purchase a Deus, decide that I will learn all I can about this machine and hunt anywhere I want to, or I can purchase the Blisstool, dig very deep targets, lots of junk, and do it only in the deep woods away from all EMI and modern junk. Now for the relic hunter, the Blisstool will be the best option, but for the coin hunter and weekend treasure seeker it may not be the best unit to use.

Tom in SC
April 22, 2012 02:08AM
My sites here in PA have the modern trash in all the public places. Just like everywhere else in the US. But we also have iron and lots of it in our old places. Old Amish farms. One room school houses. Old Mills. The ability to seperate targets is priority number one for me and the type of detecting I want to do. The detectors I use are tools. No brand loyalty on my part. No trying to validate spending 1500.00 on a detector either. I read the forums. I do my research and then I make a purchase if I feel that the latest and greatest is indeed something I can use. That is why this forum rocks. No B.S. I come here for the truth and answers to detecting questions.

If I want to be pumped full of Sponsor's or Manufacturer's hot air I can grab a magazine or go to another forum where the boot is always ready.

As I said in another thread on here: " These XP detectors are opening some eyes". The target seperation is very very good. I just want to put it out there that the target recovery stories are indeed true. For clean sites I will grab the E Trac. Too bad there just isn't that many.

And not to hijack this thread anymore than I already have but ... I will belooking for a new wet sand hunting machine. The Blisstool impressed the Jersey guys. Not an easy thing to do. I may end up with one sooner or later myself.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2012 02:28AM by goodmore.
April 22, 2012 05:09PM
its an expensive machine i shouldnt have to have to spend more on replacing the crumby backphones headband because they are too fragile to stand even moderate wear and tare .these style of cheapo backphones are meant for iphones and similar .
all the folding is also wearing the wire that runs under the headband.
April 24, 2012 10:32PM
I will be saving for years to get these!!
April 25, 2012 06:50AM
BTW guys, XP said over a year ago that they would be releasing regular headphones for the Deus and they still are not here. I really wouldn't plan on the coils being out in 2013 but I could be wrong. I also see that they never released the wire extension in order to use the coil below water...
April 25, 2012 09:40AM
The stock coil will keep me busy for a while.
April 25, 2012 10:12AM
Goodmore, what is your time spent between your new Etrac and new Deus now?
April 25, 2012 12:08PM
The E Trac just might be traded in on an Excalibur. I love the E Trac, but it is no Deus. Right now the E Trac is a back up.
April 25, 2012 08:33PM
First time I heard the big E being a backup,,,what's this world comming to.....
April 25, 2012 08:59PM
You know I think the E Trac is just a wonderful detector. I love the tones. I love the power. I love everything about it. O.K. Maybe the weight. But it just can't pick targets out of the iron like the Deus. And that is the type of hunting I like to do. That is the type of hunting that can be productive here where I live. I think every detector has a place and purpose. I have a few sites for the E Trac and 13" coil, but right now the grass is 14 inches tall. In the fall I will grab it. And I was thinking of taking it on a beach hunt. So who knows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2012 09:00PM by goodmore.
April 25, 2012 10:06PM
Sounds like this "Deus" might change the game!!!
July 18, 2013 07:41PM
earthmansurfer Wrote:
> Pimento Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's worth pointing out that as the coil AND
> the
> > coil electronics are inside the wireless XP
> > 'coils', the designers have more freedom to
> change
> > sensitivity (and possibly more). To illustrate:
> > take a conventional detector, swap the coil
> from
> > an 8 inch to a 4 inch. The detector electronics
> > circuit is unchanged, so the depth reduces, as
> > determined by physics (size of coils,number of
> > turns etc etc). If you could rebuild your
> detector
> > specifically to suit a 4 inch coil, you might
> > decide it would work better if the coil had
> more
> > turns on its receive-coil-winding, and less
> > amplifier gain in the electronics (just an
> > example).This flexibility is available to XP's
> > engineers, which could allow them to, say make a
> 3
> > inch coil that behaved like a 5 inch one.
>
> Well said.
>
> And it would also mean they could essentially
> release a coil to be optimized at a certain
> frequency since the detector is inside it. And
> this is what Keith was talking about when he said
> future XP Detectors would be wireless and just
> more specific than the Deus, the later being the
> flagship. But lets say I want the Deus to work as
> well at 4.6 kHz as the GMax II (and I do ;-), well

I would think an eliptical coil would compliment the new V3 gold update, maybe thats what we will get,,11 inches over nine nches wont make enough defference to worry about IMO....
> then, why not release a GMax II coil that only
> works at that frequency (at least works best
> there.)? That is an interesting option and it does
> open up a whole new can of worms...
July 18, 2013 09:31PM
There is something very funny going on.

A sharp DD coil like the 9" Deus, tends to high tone flat iron more easily.
So what exactly is that gold program doing.

My goldbug 2 with concentric elliptical is very accurate with the small iron mask.
My X-terra 705 with the elliptical DD, behaves more like a concentric than a DD, small iron is again ID-ed very accurately.

Haven't had the occasion to run V3.1 yet, gold program not at all.
Any ideas?

HH
Johnb