Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Check out the Minelab website ---------- New detector coming in 48 Hour's

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Patent application number: 20120025815
May 03, 2012 03:34AM
This link is very interesting. Note that the patent was applied for in Feb 2012. Here, the patent is giving an indication of user adjustability of waveform type (square or sine), waveform fundamental frequency. and the lag time between repetitive rectangular waveforms (sequence).

16. A real-time metal detector platform as in claim 1 further characterised in that an operator may alter at least one type of synchronous demodulation multiplication functions such as time-domain synchronous demodulation multiplication functions, square-wave synchronous demodulation multiplication functions, sine-wave synchronous demodulation multiplication functions or receive signal weighted synchronous demodulation multiplication function applied to a synchronous demodulator to a different type of synchronous demodulation multiplication function applied to the same said synchronous demodulator.

17. A real-time metal detector platform as in claim 1 further characterised in that an operator may alter the said fundamental frequency of the said repeating switched rectangular-wave voltage sequence.

18. A real-time metal detector platform as in claim 1 further characterised in that an operator may alter the waveform of the said repeating switched rectangular-wave voltage sequence.

19. A real-time metal detector platform as in claim 1 further characterised in that an operator may alter the said repeating switched rectangular-wave voltage sequence and synchronous demodulation multiplication functions.

The "Background Art" section of the patent indicates an effort to reduce EMI at 'relatively low cost.'

[0012] The advantage cited or assumed advantage for utilizing narrowband synchronous demodulation, such as sine-waves or band-pass filtering followed by synchronous demodulation multiplication, or by using complex fast Fourier transforms, all of which will yield the same signal-to-noise ratio, is that these techniques reduce both broad-band electronic noise and environmental magnetic interference.

[0013] An object of the current invention is to alleviate at least some of the problems of the prior art by offering an improved metal detector platform capability, or at least to provide the public with a useful alternative to known detectors.

[0014] A further object of this invention is to provide a real-time flexible metal detector platform improvement at relatively low cost that assists an operator such as a prospector in the location of metal targets.

Here, in the "Summary of Invention", the patent describes some potential advantages with respect to target type:

[0024] In addition, this invention discloses metal detector platform systems that are relatively simple and flexible. For example, one such platform may be capable of user control of the transmit signal and synchronous demodulation multiplication functions. This control for example, may include the capability of a metal detector platform for which a user may select time-domain of frequency-domain synchronous demodulation, or a dual frequency mode suitable for detecting high conductivity coins or targets such as USA coins and civil-war belt buckles (say 2 kHz & 32 kHz),or dual frequency mode suitable for detecting low conductivity coins or targets such as European ancient coins (say 5 kHz & 80 kHz),or a triple frequency gold detector suitable for cancelling magnetic soil mineralisation and operating in both the time-domain and frequency-domain (say 4, 16 and 64 kHz).

Again, the patent describes the benefits of adjusting the "signal weighted synchronous demodulation multiplication functions" as a method of reducing noise (see Summary of Invention #0027, not re-copied). So now we have a 'knob' to reduce EMI effects?

[0028] There is a need for a highly flexible real-time metal detector platform which has detection capabilities for different targets and applications. Advantageously, an operator might be able to alter synchronous demodulation multiplication functions to select different types or mixtures of different types to be applied to different synchronous demodulators, and also different waveforms of the said synchronous demodulation multiplication functions; examples of the different types being time-domain, square-wave, sine-wave or receive signal weighted synchronous demodulation multiplication functions.

This patent needs a fresh review once again after a good night's sleep. But, in the end, this clearly does not describe a PI unit.

------------------------------------------------
"Facts can be stubborn things..."
UK Patent Application GB 2485079
May 03, 2012 03:42AM
Agree. This patent refers to a PI machine wherein its abstract describes the analysis of 'time constants' and decay rates.

VLF machines look at the phase shift between outgoing and incoming signals to determine discrimination, either in the time domain using hardware and/or software bandpass filters, or in the frequency domain using digital Fast Fourier Transform analysis.

This patent does not describe a VLF machine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2012 12:10PM by go-rebels.
Re: Check out the Minelab website ---------- New detector coming in 48 Hour's
May 03, 2012 04:18AM
Did you just argue with yourself?
???
May 03, 2012 10:23AM
Earthmansurfer referenced two different patents, one US, one UK.

Note my subtitles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2012 10:24AM by go-rebels.
May 03, 2012 10:35AM
Some fascinating info there, but much is over my head. Can anyone tell me (before the "over-hyped marketing brocures" come out shortly) what type of performance improvements such a platform could hold for a U.S. coin hunter in a trashy park? I get that it's supposed to be less susceptible to both EMI and soil condition problems, will have alot of "user adjustability" and "customization" depending upon what you are hunting for; what else does a mind more versed in engineering than mine gather from the posted links describing the patent?

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2012 10:35AM by steveg.
May 03, 2012 11:14AM
If a site (say.... a relic site) contains a broad "conductivity" spectrum of targets.............. it looks like you may have to hunt the site three different times.......... using the 3 different modes of operation.
And if you are a thorough hunter...... and always hunt a site from 3 different directions............ say North to South............ then East to West.......... then NorthWest to SouthEast:

3 x 3 = 9

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When all is said-and-done............ the end resultant for performance assessment of any new unit is: How well does it perform in real-world conditions. Does it open up any new doors. Can common folk figure out how to use it.
May 03, 2012 12:09PM
Square waveform or sine wave? Standard rectangular time delay or modified delay?

3 x 3 x 2 x 2 = 36

I wonder if any of these options will be incorporated in their new detector to be revealed today.
May 03, 2012 01:31PM
I predict a machine with an FBS ON STEROIDS detecting capability, color screen, X-1 type probe option and wireless headphones.
May 03, 2012 01:57PM
Here's another recent Candy patent: www.patentgenius.com/patent/8106770.html

It appears to further describe how a current technology Explorer/ETrac functions with the square waveform, and it's multiple harmonics, replaced with three discrete sine waves, with the goal of achieving increased depth in 'soils with very small but significant variations of resistive components.'

-----------

Minelab announces at 8:30pm EST tonight. Kudos to them for their marketing spin...

May 03, 2012 05:20PM
Just for fun, got this on a European website:

That I was informed that the Minelab recently release a new model of the detector. Model the CTX 3030 and it is a multi-frequency detector with wireless technology (headset), color display, built-in GPS, a telescope holder, waterproof to 3m, battery (additional box and rechargeable batteries). Now will be in two versions, standard (with wireless headphones and GPS) and initial (I think without a wireless headset and a GPS-only or without a wireless headset). Price a breeze, the current knowledge will be around 2700-2800 Euros). Who loves a go ahead . These days photos to be found on the website of the manufacturer.
May 03, 2012 06:09PM
I will make an educated guess now...;-)

Its a multifreq detector with wireless headset and color screen delivered in two versions.

It has a GPS receiver. Waterproof to 10 feet.

one model with wireless phones as option and without GPS...and one with both standard.

It is lightweight and have a telescope rod system much like deus.

And it is a coin,treasure detector CTX
May 03, 2012 06:43PM
hope you are on the right track. if so i want one, especially when I read lightweight. about 6 more hours and we will know more. aslo hope dealers have them sooner not later....
May 03, 2012 06:58PM
I may be wrong on the lightweight it should read better balanced.

I hear it weighs 2340 grams but that is the whole package it seems.
May 03, 2012 08:56PM
Unless GPS is going to point me to gold I don'tneed it. I know where I am. And I can care less where my finds were made. I really don't think FBS can be dialed too high in the speed department. It would no longer be FBS. It would be nice to see the screen instead of a faded blurr like the current E Trac. But I don't need color either. More bells and whistles isn't going to cut it.
May 03, 2012 09:35PM
Goodmore - I pretty much agree. But, GPS doesn't add much to the cost of cell phones these days. They are now integrating it onto chips so I don't think it is a big cost at all. I can see the benefits for certain hunters, not me.
For years we thought VLF couldn't go much deeper and now we have the Bliss going deeper. So maybe in 4 years they were able to make FBS go deeper and faster as well? I mean we don't know what else they did with it, added to it, removed to it, to perhaps get it improved. One never knows. Todays processors are MUCH MUCH faster than 4 years ago and to work within the time domain FBS system is still possible. It still can be time domain but perhaps be made to operate quicker by varying the parameters, etc.
I'll tell you, yes, color isn't needed, but where it does shine is with a backlight and in sunshine, I know that from the V3i. We don't know why it's color either, perhaps it's more than bells and whistles. Even if that is all it is and if they are using LCD technology, then the power consumption won't be a big issue.

One just never knows is all I'm saying. But here is too hoping :-)

Oh, and don't forget waterproof. That will surely help pay for the machine.
Well Here is what it look's like
May 04, 2012 12:40AM
Minelab like's to build them bulky dont they...

Looks like the coil is wired ...guess so it's an underwater machine...

Wonder if the headphones can transmit underwater ? Guess they can?

Look's like it still has the conduct & ferrous plot graph but updated visually

Looks rugged that's for sure..

Find out more on May 11th... On sale May 28th.

Keith

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2012 02:52AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Well Here is what it look's like
May 04, 2012 12:43AM
i hope the coil is wired as charging the coil seems a little useless. was going to sell my ET. think I will wait and see what happens. 2 day wait for a 30 second video????????????
May 04, 2012 12:46AM
I'll bet the $2500 price is not far off. Now is the time to watch the classifieds. Lot of great deals coming on used detectors.....lol

Tom in SC
May 04, 2012 12:52AM
Here it is!

May 04, 2012 01:06AM
Exactly! The Sovereign GT has got to be dead. The sales of the Excalibur just went in the toilet. As far as the Etrac? Still don't know what FBS2 is.

With the coil that looks the same I doubt more depth. Maybe faster recovery?

Smartfind 2?

I run the E Trac pretty much wide open now adays.

And it does look like a weedeater.

I don't need a GPS.

I just need a screen that I can see. It didn't have to be color.

I bet we are looking at 2000.00 easy. That is the negotiated price.
May 04, 2012 01:10AM
If it is FBS2 I wonder if the coils can be backwards compatible?

Hope it's lighter, that big batter case scares me. Back one looks like a flotation device ;-)
May 04, 2012 01:23AM
Its gonna be a great one! I will have them in stock as soon as possible. The go on sale the 28th. Gonna be a LONG wait!
May 04, 2012 01:26AM
Wonder if ML has any good land we can detect on, I like my detectors, I just want some permission
May 04, 2012 01:31AM
That big box on the back I beleive is holding the electronic's...that black box is probably the battery box....

It seems the electronics are larger than the E-Trac...Or Explorer....But smaller than the GPX detector's...wonder if it's some sort of hybrid machine?

Not really pulse but also some sort of new FBS approach? I dont think it's the 3 freq design they were applying the pat for...if it say's FBS it should still be broadband...

I would bet it's an Etrac in waterproof housing with a new fancy digital display...But the big box dont make much sense..

In the video you hear 2 beep's and it sounds like the E-Trac beep's somewhat...not like the explorer's as much.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Guess we will know more as the days go by?

Oh I bet the coils are off the FBS machine's..

I bet that sucker will cost more than $2500.00 List...Supposed to be a stripped version also coming...guess the excalibur is gone...I hear the Sovereign is...

Keith
Stoop stroop - if you're dealing them - why don't you just tell us the price...
I say $2500 w/o the wireless and $3000 with....
May 04, 2012 01:37AM
Stoopstroop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its gonna be a great one! I will have them in
> stock as soon as possible. The go on sale the
> 28th. Gonna be a LONG wait!

Any specs, like the one half of the E-Trac users have been asking for, (light) weight?
May 04, 2012 02:07AM
goodmore Wrote:
> Unless GPS is going to point me to gold I
> don'tneed it. I know where I am. And I can care
> less where my finds were made.

That's fine for you, but if you were detecting in a deserted area (outback) and find a gold patch with lots of nuggets... you can bet you'd want to find the exact location again and quickly to maximize your time in the field. It certainly has its place in the programming of the unit.
Hey Bart , aka stoopstroop
May 04, 2012 02:22AM
Feed us some facts , not emotional sales hype.
May 04, 2012 02:58AM
schultzie Wrote:
> goodmore Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Unless GPS is going to point me to gold I
> > don'tneed it. I know where I am. And I can care
> > less where my finds were made.
>
> That's fine for you, but if you were detecting in
> a deserted area (outback) and find a gold patch
> with lots of nuggets... you can bet you'd want to
> find the exact location again and quickly to
> maximize your time in the field. It certainly has
> its place in the programming of the unit.

Not many people use the FBS detectors to hunt for nuggets. A handheld gps is more practical, can be used camping, hiking and more features not to mention that many phones now have gps. In my opinion, this feature is not practical merely drives the price up with one more that could possibly fail. Not that I have had a minelab fail, but the more you add the more chances of failure. I think the best thing going for it is that it is waterproof and the new smartscreen looks interesting.
May 04, 2012 03:14AM
Hey Barry you dead on...

It's $3000.00 U.S. with wireless phone's..not sure if that's suggested retail or not.......... probably though...

Unless it's faster than an GMP/ DEUS in iron or deeper than and E-trac/Explorer in the bad dirt man that's some serious bread...

But maybe it has some kind of serious punch in mineral's...I hope it's not just the waterproof aspect coupled with a GPS...tagged to E-trac technology...

O' yeah that price is what a dealer stated...

Keith