Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Used the DEUS Today in beat hard site ( Pic's) Confederate piece

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Used the DEUS Today in beat hard site ( Pic's) Confederate piece
May 06, 2012 03:12AM
I ran the DEUS today in a literally iron infested site...

It is the Site I got the Half reale and early South Carolina button out of .....I have pounded and pounded on that site...it is dead as far as non ferrous signal's

I went in today and used GMP mode reactivity cranked to 4 and silencer on Neg.1...talk about a powerhouse of a machine....I pulled more brass in the nail barrage...

Here's a impressive Target.It read 55 but come out looking like an iron rust ball...Had me scratching my head till I got home...

And cleaned it....It looks like it's an encrusted button with gold guilt....very impressive to say the least...also considering it was in a nail carpet...

I managed a few more pieces of Brass but these 2 pieces of brass really gave me high hope's...they are the ends off off knapsack rivet's...If I can pull these little thing's out of a nail blanket I think I have a good chance at the dollar gold Piece...maybe my best chance I have ever had in iron...and let's be real that's where the gold coins are going to be...One day SOON!!!!!LOL!!!You can see size for comparison...Not impressive by them selves but in iron infestation very difficult...

And last but not least...Another low conductor of immense historical meaning to me...Its a Bayonet scabbard tip finial but it's of the pewter variety so that's a Confederate Piece...I have dig dozens of brass (Yankee) ones but this is my first Pewter (Confederate) one...

Again the DEUS when supercharged is a force to be reckoned with in iron...

I also tried 8KHZ and slow reactivity in a cleaner area and dug a brass hinge about 1.5 inches long by 3/4 inches wide at a depth of about 11-12 inches...very nice depth...

Still learning but it's the best Iron infested hunter I have come across...You can really dial it in....Does not chase iron signals while still pulling non-ferrous target's other's will miss...

The extra edge seems to be the Silencer turned down...for me anyway....it get's real sparky and talkative...

Need to get the Hat Cam back On,,,

Keith
Re: Used the DEUS Today in beat hard site ( Pic's) Confederate piece
May 06, 2012 03:28AM
Thanks for the info Keith. So does the Deus not false alot on the iron? Does it make a low tone for iron?
May 06, 2012 04:00AM
Hey Ray....The DEUS is very well behaved in iron...Sparky but Behaved ...and has a uncanny way of pulling things in iron you would swear was not there with another top of the line machine...

Yes it has an iron grunt with volume adjust added to the grunt....Also has the tone split by disc setting...and the disc is very fine tunable in the iron range...razor edge sharpness on say a nail accept /reject zone...

I was questioning it for being a multi machine replacer...well I am starting to see some real advantages to it now that I have moved the silencer down...It really is a machine you can turn in to what you want..

Hopefully a few more hours and I will have a better grip on the total package..

Keith
May 06, 2012 11:10AM
Great results Keith, Looking forward to some videos also. Congrats on the finds.

Tom in SC
May 06, 2012 01:16PM
The DEUS and GMP are going to startle folks.............. especially with it's stock 9" DD coil. The more the iron nail content.......... the more the 'startle' factor.
May 06, 2012 03:53PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Ray....The DEUS is very well behaved in
> iron...Sparky but Behaved ...and has a uncanny way
> of pulling things in iron you would swear was not
> there with another top of the line machine...
>
> Yes it has an iron grunt with volume adjust added
> to the grunt....Also has the tone split by disc
> setting...and the disc is very fine tunable in the
> iron range...razor edge sharpness on say a nail
> accept /reject zone...
>
> I was questioning it for being a multi machine
> replacer...well I am starting to see some real
> advantages to it now that I have moved the
> silencer down...It really is a machine you can
> turn in to what you want..
>
> Hopefully a few more hours and I will have a
> better grip on the total package..
>
> Keith
How does the silencer effect the Deus's behavior in real life. I read the manual about the silencer being a filter that you can turn up and down. Something about accepting large iron targets....or at least that's how I interpreted it. I have been learning the Deus talk now pretty much on an everyday basis, if only an hour or two per day. My finds are increasing as is my abilty to discern what the Deus is trying to tell me. I have made (copied from others and then tweaked) some programs, such as a zero-disc program with two tones. I also use the number two program (GM Power) after I turn the freq to 12 and the sens to 97. I have found that an improperly adjusted ground balance (too high) will severly impair depth capabilty. I run the GB about three points lower after I pump it and achieve the GB. I get clearer tones on deeper targets. One more thing: I have found that even in NON iron infested areas, or rather, CLEAN areas, the Deus TDI reads the majority of the targets in the 90's. I have almost weened myself from even looking at the numbers. Many's the time that I would dig a 90's signal and when I swept my upturned plug, and the target is there, closer to the coil, the TDI will be more like in the 50's to 70's. So......aside from a TDI that is not real helpful, I really have started respecting the Deus' capabilities.
May 06, 2012 05:13PM
Hey Kevin the silencer is a filter control for recieved signal...the higher you run it the more rejected target's are I.D'd right ( stay iron grunt )...and also gives a cleaner audio report tone wise...

The lower you run it the more spits pops sputters of rejected target's bleed through..and the tones will be more blendy sounding...

But the advantage of having less filterization is also the ability to hear partially disced good items...if a nail disc clean then a target very close to or beside it can risk being disced out too in the process...but with less filterization of the signal it gives you a truer picture of what under the coil you hears a nail sputtery and I dont mean by the iron grunt but the higher tone sound coming in an out on the nail and when this is going on say a good target is right there also..Well tune the ear and a smoother blurp can sneek in...

Also with less filter in bad dirt you will hear more ground mineral but also will allow an otherwise target masked by mineral to make some sort of sound break through...if alot of filter is being used it will shut the ground noise up and also risk cutting the good target report out...

When hunting you want as much data as you can process audibly..Or can tolerate intelligently....

Negative 1 silencer is very noisy but workable..and when you have the reactivity into the 3-4 range and are on 18 Khz in iron new windows never seen will open up...and this is with a 9 inch coil vs small coils on other machine's...

I can only imagine what the 5 inch coil is going to accomplish...

I love working iron more than any other aspect of hunting and these XP detector's are in there own leauge for intended purpose.

Remember where people hung out the most is where the most iron is ( number one most used metal in the world) and where there's iron is where the most keeper target's are at...Simple deduction..

I might add I love seeing what happens when you tweak this or that with certain freq's It is the kind of info I have been after ...And it all makes sense and beahaves like it should,,,

The freq's really are changing...It's not a gimmick ...the machine really does speed up and slow down with reactivity setting's....the noise really does come more prevalent with low silencer....Itgoes deper with lower freq's it unmask better on high freq....

Don't worry too much about the i.d. it's all audio...

Again the remote was not really intended to be used all the time...I think it has an I.D. for maybe a tool for a certain situation...

But I may add this I find the I.D. to work extremely well down to 4-5 inches in iron surprisingly well...the i.d. get's quicker with the faster reactivity I also notice..

On 8 Khz the I.D. works much deeper...

Keith
May 06, 2012 09:10PM
Thanks Keith. That is some great info right there! I am headed out to my test garden with my deus. I am gonna TRY some different silencer settings and see what happens. It sounds like you have learned that Deus!!!
May 07, 2012 01:05AM
Great post yes it seems the audio will work for those that have the ear for audio some need a VDI but I can see your point and how the Deus can really work once it is understood as I am sure the UK has found out...have you found the depth any deeper then what you are using on other machines? I would think that in iron it is not about depth it is about seeing into the iron and unmasking the hidden targets.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 07, 2012 10:23AM
"Hopefully a few more hours and I will have a better grip on the total package.. "

Keith

Once again, as I had said in a earlier post, you CANNOT take a machine out for a 2,3 or even 4 hours and honestly say that you know how it works. With the complexeties of todays new machinces you cannot possibly learn all the variations of settings to different sites.
Every machine is different.

Keith, thanks alot for the tip, "silencer in negative 1 @ 18khz."

Hopefully I will have some time to get the DEUS out in a old sqaure nail site and try it out.
May 08, 2012 04:19PM
Great post here! Lots of great info!
May 08, 2012 08:52PM
I recently purchased the large coil from Bart. I think I'm getting close to being on his Christmas card list. I have only been out with it one time. It does cover more ground. I took it to an older baseball field. One that locals kids would have used for a pick up game. I didn't have the chance to try it on a deep target since I never really encountered one. The one thing I noticed is that the learning process starts again. Trying to figure out the best frequency and things like that. In my very early report I would say the lower frequencies tend to give a more stable hunt. I hunted the majority in the 8 Khz frequency. I even did some hunting in 4. For some reason 4 Khz needs to be turned down in the hottness settings on mine. It gets a little noisy. Almost like ground or EMI chatter. Using the upper two frequencies really lites up the little stuff. I though the small coil lit stuff up. The bigger coil just gets more sensative and not really deeper in the upper frequencies. It tends to go deeper on the lower two if that makes sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2012 08:56PM by goodmore.
May 09, 2012 06:50AM
Hey Lawrenzo...I would say freq for freq there's not much difference in depth...What do I mean by that....Well if you have a G2 and a DEUS and keep the DEUS on 18khz they are about equal in depth....but the in iron capabiltiy of unmasking is on another level ...

I might add I have played with the 4khz and slowed the reactivity down and have heard a good audio report for a 15 inch burried quarter..that other machines would not hit...so yes dialing the machine in for ground conditions and getting freq right for intended target's say silver coins at depth in cleaner area's ...I do believe it will be a deep seeker once learned...

I like the machine's approach also..not alot of adjustment's here and there to get thing's out of whack,,,pretty straight forward and with a little understanding of what you want to accomplish it's pretty straight forward...But yu need to understand what freq's work best with what setting's...low freq seems to work best with low rectivity for the most part high freq sems to work best with higher reactivity mid feqs can lean either way and stay productive,,..

You can say have it on 8 khz and not change a thing but the freq going to 18khz and you can actually hear the machine get more excited on target's..No setting altered but freq...so if automatically you see the machine get more should I say sensitive well then you know to adjust up the reactivity ..thats what it like's that what it's built for...change nothing when your on 12khz and drop down to 4 khz well you can automatically tell through audio only that it has become more how should I say sluggish to a slight degree...still sparky but you can tell it's a little different...so a slower recovery/reactivity let's thing's flow better...I hope this makes sense...

But say you are after some deep buttons and you know buttons are low conductor's you will need a high freq but they are at depth in an area with little iron debris...you can slow down the reactivity ..boost up transmit power..and change you sweep to slower and have an understanding of what to expect and try to eek some deepies out ...you want some silver in a area thats sort of trashy go for a lower freq and speed up you reactivity for faster target unmasking at the cost of depth IF you go too high....

You will see alot of people leaning towards the 12khz I see that freq as a good compromise but not a real sleuthy way to hunt...I would rather hunt the site multiple times to be honest with a multitude of setting's to get the most out of the machine...This is the reason the detecor was built ...It cost 2 grand for a reason...

Oh I would say it is a very advanced machine...And it does need to be ran with an understanding of ...Your dirt ....your site condition's... your target aim..then dial it in responsibly ...a begginer would not want such a machine...its an advanced instrument built by a guy who and I can say this as truthful as I can who has a complete understanding if iron unmasking...He's on a level that other manufacturer's have overlooked in theyre design...Most of the big manufacturer's build machines for the most part besides gold prospecting with the coin shooter in mind....well this guy build's coin shooter's but ancient coins in iron contaminated site's....He's a artifact hunter himself in areas littered with a couple 1000 year's of iron in the ground and wants the best machine to get target's out of such site's ....So he builds his own ..So he knows what he want's and how to achieve it with current technology...

I like lot's of detectors but I really have a fond amazement of the XP machines...There still fresh and new here in the States but for Intened purpose theyre in there own league...

Sorry to ramble

Keith
May 09, 2012 06:54AM
I have heard Goodmore the Larger coil was built with the aim of the 4khz...and would make sense if it was...I hope the small coil will be built with the aim of the 18khz...

Good for you for getting the coil....now you have 2 complete machine's....get an extra pole and your good to go...

Keith
May 09, 2012 11:45AM
Wow Keith,that is the best write up of the deus Ive seen yet. Couple quick questions...how does the build quality seem? Is there support in the usa if it needs work,or would it have to be sent overseas?
May 09, 2012 12:14PM
Keith,

I find your "rambling" very informative as well as educational.

Thank you sir.

Aaron
jrk
May 09, 2012 05:05PM
So, coming from a guy that's been on the fence on selling one our ET's to purchase something that would offer better performance in bad ground (ET Auto runs around 10) and where there's lots of nails/ferrous trash, would this machine offer up what I'm looking for? Sounds greatly configurable of which Keith explained wonderfully. Would some of these tweaks, frequency and power?, allow better depth acquisition and some separation? PI route is expensive and I know I'll be digging my rump off!

Randy
May 09, 2012 07:39PM
Hey JRK...If I had a couple of Etrac's ...I would most surely invest in a DEUS to compliment it...As far the iron aspect of your hunt's...the DEUS will open new door's for sure...the etrac is not in the same league in iron as the DEUS..Sad but true....

and also you having both would allow you to do some real world comparison on deep in ground target's..

You already have the ETRAC so use that to find deep target's then use the DEUS to check same target.. then tune it to get it right to see if it can do the same or better..

once you find the magic setup you will be more confident in the machine for the deep hunt's....it will amaze you in the iron though very easily vs the etrac...

One thing that need's to realized also on the DUES is when you make a tweak it can become a different machine and sweep speed's etc are going to need to be changed to accomplish gained performance...

Keith
May 09, 2012 07:42PM
Yes Ray the machines are serviced here in the States...

Not much to tear up on them ...I ma sure they don't work on the circuit boards.. to small...Just replace them I would bet...Simple, quick, easy, efficient...

a true cutting edge design platform...

Keith
May 09, 2012 08:46PM
That was my thinking as well. During the warranty period you probably get replacement parts. I can tell you the Deus is well made.