Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Took XP Deus to hunted out square nail CW campsite

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Took XP Deus to hunted out square nail CW campsite
June 14, 2012 01:39AM
I hunted this site out with a G2, a T2, a F75SE, an AT Pro, over and over and over again until all that remained was iron grunts w/ occasional iron falsing. And if Keith Southern is reading this, I have him to thank for the pistol bullet. There was a one way chirp. From only one direction. But the horseshoe dial was giving iron one way and non-ferrous the other way. And it was an odd sound. I was really lucky, because I almost passed it by. But I had read today where he explained how to interpret real iffy signals and that scenario presented itself this evening. It's the first pistol bullet of it's kind that I have ever dug. That's neat. I'll check out the bullet database and see if I can find it.
As for the other round item that looks like a watch dial, I found it on the other side of the house where I normally don't even hunt. It was about three inches down. Looks old. It must be some type of civilian decor.....I don't have a clue. But one good thing about it is that it gives the correct time twice a day! Hee hee. How many times have ya heard that one about a stopped clock. Seriously, any of y'all know what that is? I put a wheatie that I found yesterday beside it for a size relation.
Re: Took XP Deus to hunted out square nail CW campsite
June 14, 2012 05:13AM
Nice dig's...And congrats

That looks like a Whitney Pattern .36 Navy revolver...

Glad you saw some results with the one way hit...

This is a universal result on detector's...one way hit's...partial hit's ..

Learn to work with it to you advantage,,,

You learn how to hunt in iron like this and you will unlock sites that are dead to other hunter's..

Keith
June 14, 2012 12:40PM
Keith, This campsite was stumbled upon by me last year when I began hunting aorund a house in town looking for coins. I had no idea that there was any CW relics on it. The first item that I found was a Eagle I Coat-sized button with some gilting still remaining. Then another button, then another. Then bullets, 44 cal Tranters, 36 cal Tranters, 58 cal and 69 cal Three ringers, and a cupful of camplead!!! Just little globs of white lead that had hit the ground and solidified....during bullet making I assume. Also, a carevd bullet, poker chips made from smashed round balls. 69 round balls, a pocket knifle and fork handle from that era, a rosette brass cover minus the lead. It it thin skinned. The site, is about 20' by 20 ft' !!!! And the square nails and pieces of red/orange brick are extremely thick for a structure that stood here in the past. The nails seem to be slightly on top of the dropped relics. The old structure must have been demolished on top of the old civil war campsite. I have witnessed iron masking going on there. i KNOW that the iron is masking, probably as much relics as I have already found. But yesterday, I was as lost as a little boy in the candy store. There I was with my Deus, that I spent alot of money for, and I should be able to extract more for the nails with this unit.
Do you know what kind of video would REALLY be useful, and maybe even entertaining to some, and that is a man and his Deus, who really has figured it out, in a site like I'm talking about, and capturing this hunt on camera. Everytime ya get a iffy signal, turn the camera on so that we can hear what you hear. And show the screen so that we can see how the screen reponds to the alleged target. That would be easier than trying to explain it. Some of us (me) don't have the aptitude to figure out the subtle nuances of this machines capability. And in that yard yesterday, I just could not dig every thing that chirped or I would have put alot of holes in that man's back yard. The ground is rock hard back there and it is difficult for a plug to stay together and look good. If I was out in a filed it wouldn't matter.
jrk
June 14, 2012 01:42PM
Very cool Kevin. Between you and Keith, I'm learning. I can tell you this, I'm loving this machine more than anything I've tried before...in the short time I've played with it. Reasoning:
Fast as greased lightening
Ergonomic masterpiece
Charging is refreshing compared to my ET
Settings are easy to understand and offer huge performance affect. It's fantastic to me that I can search a site in different frequencies and reaction speeds. Sledge hammer and micro surgery all in one package. Never found so many neat small items before.
Depth: incredible. Machine screams on a 12" clad quarter with default settings; my ET would not. Hugely excited now, as Don just sent me the larger coil. That same quarter screams with coil well off the ground! I honestly feel, at this stage, I have a new found depth advantage I did not previously have, and that gives me tremendous confidence.
This machine is quickly teaching me how much I like to hunt by tone/audio, and how much faster it is to hunt this way.

Yes Kevin, I agree...love to see a vid like that. Buy it tomorrow! Come on Keith...let's see it soon!

Randy
June 14, 2012 04:05PM
Randy, a video, even a Youtube video showing the Deus in action in a heavily square nail-ed site would keep me spellbound. It would prove SO benficial. Especially where the really masked targets are unmasked. I am already a fair hand at sweeping slowly and thoroughly. but I am very much a rookie at analyzing the sounds that are hitting my head through my ear-gate. The two way hi tone hits have already been dug from this site OR at least it is impossible for me to find anymore (of the easy targets with good repeatable sounds). I have used Deus Fast and GM Power in this site from every direction. Now with those programs I get mainly fast paced iron grunts and occasional chirps. The very most of the relics from this site have come from 4 to 6, even 7 inches. The square nails are laced throughout those depths, and can be found as high up as one inch under the surface. So I am sure that some major masking of even larger targets (buttons and bullets) is occurring. Not to mention cuff buttons, and little iron gun tools and stuff. This site will be a wonderful place to learn to unmask with the Deus. PROBLEM: the ground is hard.....and I won't to continue my usage of non-detructive recovery technique which I have always used here. I have been hunting this place for a year. And yet, yesterday, upon arriving here, it was satisfying to see that you could NOT tell that it had ever been hunted. I always place the grass sod back like I found it unless it crumbles, although there is not a thick root mass to have to deal with. You can see bare ground under the bermuda grass. It's just a yard that stays mowed though the house is vacant.
Yes, I would pay money for a dvd of the Deus in action unmasking hard to locate targets.
jrk
June 14, 2012 04:21PM
Kevin, I'm brand new to this guy, and Keith may offer up some ideas beyond what has already been mentioned, but if you've not done so, try re-analyzing a few nails to see if your discrim is not being to aggressive, ensuring your cutover tones are more razor like. . I'd also, not knowing any better, play around with another deeper mode, such as relic, which would be canned slower, but speed up the reactivity a bit while ensuring your silencer is turned down as well.
Amazing thing about this machine is what it offers with respect to this.

Randy
June 14, 2012 05:29PM
Okay Randy. I will try that this evening. Thanks for the tips. By the way, are there any other Deus-specific forums where Deus owners gather and swap info. I know of Findmall, and Roger''s Relics in the UK. Any others??? I like reading what other's are using. I appreciate it.
jrk
June 14, 2012 06:09PM
There's a forum that goes by the name of Dues owners, or something like that. I'll find out later an report back.
June 14, 2012 08:55PM
Great info on this post. Thanks guys!
June 15, 2012 12:38PM
In this type of environ (heavily nail infested) ...... stick to the 18-Khz and Reactivity of 3 (or 4). You may be able to get away with a Disc of "2.6" .... or even "2.4" ............... but................. you may not want this site as your 'learning curve' ...... if you do not own this 'high visibility' property.
June 15, 2012 04:23PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In this type of environ (heavily nail infested)
> ...... stick to the 18-Khz and Reactivity of 3 (or
> 4). You may be able to get away with a Disc of
> "2.6" .... or even "2.4" ...............
> but................. you may not want this site as
> your 'learning curve' ...... if you do not own
> this 'high visibility' property.

NasaTom, I am fortunate in that the owner is easy going and doesn't seem to mind. I will just go to extra lengths to make sure that the hole I dig, disappears completely when I am done. I have dug this place to death. But you can't tell that there was ever a detectorists here. Your DVD on "non-destructive recovery technique" helped immensely. It also made me conscience of the fact that it is in our better interest to practice good recovery technique, both in the short run and in the long run. By the way, thanks for that.
PS: If anyone here has not purchased a Phone Consultation or bought an Inland Hunting dvd, you are cheating yourself and no one else. Hey, I am all for opening up my mind and learning from the guys who have been doing this for years.
June 15, 2012 06:37PM
this is the oldest long established run by main UK dealer who uses a deus himself

[www.xp-ownersforum.com]
jrk
June 15, 2012 09:37PM
Thanks for posting that Diggers. That is the forum I was thinking of.
June 15, 2012 10:02PM
Yes, thanks. I am awaiting approval email by the admin.
jrk
June 15, 2012 10:35PM
Kevin,
You can use my login and password if you'd like.

Send me a PM if interested.

Randy
June 15, 2012 10:54PM
PM sent! Thanks.