Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Took the Deus to a pounded site.

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Took the Deus to a pounded site.
July 23, 2012 01:56AM
The site that I hunted today is the one that is fully carpeted with nails and the same one that I have had phone consultations with NasaTom about. I found a bullet, a General Service Coat size button, and a lapel pin or hat pin with an enscryption on the fron of ....Lady Liberty???? it also has 13 stars around the periphery of the front. The back of this piece at first looked like an over-all button, except it wasn't iron and it was more finely made of brass. And it gets real thin inside, like it was a pin or something.
I sure would appreciate some help IDing this piece. Any ideas??? The front of it looks like a coin!!

C'mon guys and girls, this has me baffled!!! What is this queer object?
Re: Took the Deus to a pounded site.
July 23, 2012 03:45PM
I showed this thing on five sites. And not ONE reply. I must be worth millions if it's rare enough that I have the only one in the country!!!! I am headed to pick out a new Tacoma Extended Cab
July 23, 2012 06:39PM
It is a cuff link form CW era designed to look like a Gold coin, It was likely gilted, but that has worn off. That is the answer I got from Treasure Spot. Sounds feasible.
July 23, 2012 08:46PM
Looks like a General Service CW coat button .......... and........... yes

a cuff-link.............. era unknown....... but appears to be CW or post-CW. I have never seen one of these........... and surmise it might be a bit rare.
July 24, 2012 04:04AM
Nice Dig's Kevin!!

That is a cuff link and it could be very well Civil War era...BUT that design was very popular for the centennial 1876...And was also a very popular motif when the staue of liberty was Placed in New York in 1886...

The back design of the link has a more latter half of 19th century design but I am no expert...And Liberty was very popular during the civil war especially on Merchant token's and such...What type site did you locate it in ...deep woods camp site or continuous occupation site after 1865...

Good find's..

Keith
July 24, 2012 01:26PM
Cool finds Kevin!
July 24, 2012 05:13PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice Dig's Kevin!!
>
> ..What
> type site did you locate it in ...deep woods camp
> site or continuous occupation site after 1865...
>
> Good find's..
>
> Keith

Keith, it was from a campsite in town, The campsite was likely in the yard of a home in that era. So I see it possibly belonging to someone other than a soldier, maybe an occupant of the old home. There are pieces of red brick scattered with the square nails, possible from the old structure. And then there was that oiece that I dug the other day that I THOUGH was a surgical instrument, but everyone beleived it to be a thumblatch for an old door. Also, from the old structure.
Thanks, everyone for your replies.