Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

10 1/2 in. coil on CZ-3D good or bad?

Posted by Mr Kryptonite 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
10 1/2 in. coil on CZ-3D good or bad?
September 25, 2007 12:24AM
Hi Tom,

I enjoyed the DVD and I think that the most important thing is that the video confirmed that I was running the CZ-3D the way it should be ran...not too fast. I am still having trouble IDing coins over 10 inches. Get the good high tone left to right and then from the side high tone iron beep. And I always want to dig! (Can't help it, old school). Dug 50 of these, 49 were iron or nail, one wheat penny.

I have been using a 10 1/2 inch coil and I got moisture in the coil. I sent it back to Fisher, received a new coil and now this coil when ground balanced I have to run the sensitivity between 8 and 9. My 8 inch coil and my other 10 1/2 inch coil sensitivity was always between 4 and 5. This seems strange to me that I run the sensitivity on my new 10 1/2 inch coil with no falsing. I am not sure if I am losing depth on this, as I only used it one time and have dug some coins as deep as 6 inches. I don't have a test garden since I moved, but at this farm I've been hunting, I've dug many coins over 10 inches deep. To me, it seems that to run 8 and 9 sensitivity just does not seem right.

Tom, any help you could give me I would greatly appreciate. I just need some advice as to whether I should send the coil back to Fisher, or if this is normal.

Thanks,
Mr. Kryptonite

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2007 03:43PM by Mr Kryptonite.
Re: 10 1/2 in. coil on CZ-3D good or bad?
September 26, 2007 12:43AM
In a sanatized area.... you MUST create a very simple test-garden. Bury a dime at 10" and a dime at 11". Now..... with a known GOOD coil (probably your stock 8") test the targets. Do not change any control setting on the detector. Now..... ONLY change the coil.... and see how it performs. AFTER this test.... you can jump the Sens up to 8 or 9. It should make no difference except a increase in audio (but not depth capabilities). When you make a VERY simple test garden,,,, just be careful of silent masking. My 1st test garden.... I buried a dime at 7" and COULD NOT DETECT IT! Little flakes of rust "silent masked" the coin.
....These simple tests will also demonstrate to you .... the type of soil you have. Here in Florida, I can acquire a dime WITH PROPER ID to depths of 12" with a stock 8" coil. In North Florida.... a dime beyond 10-3/4" and it will consistantly bounce between 'iron' and 'coin'.

Tom
October 04, 2007 11:21PM
Hi Tom,

Sorry about taking so long to get back with you...usually gone around 14 hours a day at work, so no time to do much hunting. Wednesday was my first day off and I went out with CZ-3D with the replacement 10 1/2 inch coil to the same farm, ( the house was built in 1844). I had not problem with sensitivity this time and I ran the sensitivity between 4 1/2 and 5 and had good depth. The last time I was at this farm when I was having problems, I forgot to mention I was hunting with a friend who has a Compass MD and that's when I was having a problem with the sensitivity, running it all the way up to 8 and 9. So, I assume that his MD was interferring with my MD and causing the problems with the sensitivity, because every time I turned around, he was behind me! But no problems since I was by myself yesterday...it worked great! I found nice IH's, a brass lock, an old brass bell, and even found a trigger off of an old muzzle loader. So I had a real good day. I will be making a new coin garden at my new house, but it's hard to replace a coin garden that you've had for over 30 year...but I'll just have to make do.

Thanks Tom for all your help.
October 05, 2007 02:17AM
When you dig your holes in prep's for creating a test-garden.... take a STRONG magnet to all of the excavated dirt to remove as much small/micro iron as possible.... as it will SILENTLY mask your intended/buried target(s). Use mostly dimes..... and one nickel (low conduct.) .. if possible.

Tom