Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New Article

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New Article
April 19, 2009 02:13AM
New article is now posted on the home/main page.
Re: New Article
April 19, 2009 12:34PM
That is a fantastic article Tom.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
April 19, 2009 12:51PM
Great job/ thanks Tom
April 20, 2009 08:55AM
You are welcome. It's a painful education.... that consistently keeps repeating itself.
April 20, 2009 12:20PM
Tom, Your new article confirms my suspicions about many of the sites that I dectect here in Upstate NY. Since I traded a DFX for a F75 I have probably doubled my finds in iron infested areas. However since most sites have buried "metal trash", hammered and square nails, as well as parts of discarded farming implements many of these sites were dissapointing. I hope the technology improves while I am still young enough to take advantage of it. Until then you have inspired me to do some digs similar to yours. It will be fascinating to see what is masked. Thanks for your constant effort to improve our understanding.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2009 01:27AM by dalpal.
April 20, 2009 11:54PM
Make CERTAIN that you use a powerful magnet. Use the detector (in pin-point mode) and find EVERY excavated nail/iron target...... then remove it with the magnet. It's quite a challenge!

I made yet ANOTHER discovery whilst excavating another pit yesterday..... but need to validate before posting (or updating article again).
April 26, 2009 02:12AM
If more people read this article, they would be more enlightned on how much stuff is still out there to be found,
April 28, 2009 01:58AM
Sometimes 'pain' = 'gain'.
This article got me to thinking
April 28, 2009 11:23AM
Yesterday I was digging a hole in the lower part of my yard for a sand box for my grandchildren. While digging I was thinking of both Tom's DVD and the new article on excavating small areas. For some strange reason I keep thinking there might be coins in the area. When I got to about 10" I noticed a small, round, flat object, shaped like a coin and sure enough it was a 1952 wheat penny. I dumped all the excavated dirt in two areas where I'm hoping to check this afternoon. Did notice a lot of iron nails in the dirt. I did check the hole before adding sand and still at 10" got a lot of deep iron sounds.
Re: This article got me to thinking
April 28, 2009 08:35PM
VERY COMMON! Most of us just choose to 'ignore' the excessive volumes/masking problems.