Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Spent today testing the 5x8 DD coil on the AT-PRO

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Spent today testing the 5x8 DD coil on the AT-PRO
August 14, 2012 03:34PM
Keith,
I would like to thank you for your post,, love reading your posts..
I took your advice and bought the AT pro with the stock coil and the 5x8 coil and have been using it since Feb...
I found my first Walking Liberty half in March with the AT pro and 5 x 8 coil.....It read a 99 in the ground and like 92 or 93 out of the ground.
This is one of them units that I clicked with....
Like you, I wish Garrett would come out with a hot smaller coil.....
People say the 4.5" super sniper coil is not deep,,,but I have made some good finds with mine....
I hunted a area that I could not find a clean spot to GB that small coil,, so I just set the GB on 80 and hunted..
Well a week later, I hunted the same area with the 5 x8 and did not find one coin....
But there is no telling what is under all the trash,,,tabs,rusty bottle caps, nails, alum screw caps, and etc.
I have other units,,, E-Trac, CZ 3d,Edge,,,but the AT pro is the one I grab,,,lol,,I think you told me that.....

Goodmore,,,,I don't under stand why you want to chest mount the AT pro ????
I tried that with my old Sovereign,, and did not like it....So, I used a Whites rod, like the XLT,,,with the Sun Ray DTI 3 meter, the old big box S-1 probe,
had a remote disc-all metal switch on the grip....
The whole set up was over 6 lbs and I would hunt 3 days in row, it was balanced...
So, I don't under stand you wanting to chest mount a light wt. unit... I hunt sometimes with a Lady that swings her AT Pro and 5x8 coil all day, with no problems...

Steve g. ,,, you would not like the AT Pro, because it does not have a night light,lol..
Steve does a lot of nite hunting,,,because his working hrs suck...

Keith,, thanks again....
Bj
August 16, 2012 06:07PM
Keith ,
Thanks for the info on the 5 x 8 ......I was waiting for someone whose report on it I could trust and you just made my day ...... I , unlike you , do not hunt with the iron audio on ....I use it to double check targets only , and it works like a champ !!...... The parks that I frequent are FULL of trash !!.....The AT Pro with the standard coil is a magnet for NOISE in a big way in these parks ... The 5x8 sounds like it will be a refreshing change in these parks ........Question ......Do you find that the 5x8' coils hot spot has a narrower field of detection than the larger coil ? In other words , if you sweep a smaller target with the 5x8 coil , will you hear more of a tone roll than sweeping the same speed with the larger stock coil ? ..... I'm hoping for a "Sharper" field of detection when running the smaller coil ..... Will the smaller coil achieve this ? ........Thanks again for your experiences with the AT Pro and coils ....Jim
August 16, 2012 09:07PM
Hey Synthnut...

The best way to descibe the 5x8 is in one word....

...symphonic....

What do I mean by that word....well it takes the sound's you hear with the larger stock coil and dissect's them..Like going from AM to FM...

Run the stock acoil across a co-located target and you will get the tones you are use too...run the 5x8 across same target and all sort's of tonal quality will be revealed ..

It tightens up signals yet at the same time opens up the signal,,,,If that makes sense..

I can see no need for the big coil unless you are in open area's...

I like that Garrett took what works and stayed true to design and did not do a rehash from old design's....

Thanks

Keith
August 16, 2012 09:22PM
Your welcome BJ...We all learn more and more as we go....

Yes a 3x5 DD would be awesome...It's on my wish list...but it's gotta be blunt tip design...That design works on this platfrom...

I too have the sniper...and one thing that I notced on the sniper is it seems to be dead anywhere but uner it...not on top or the sides i believe it was made to work around fences and playground equipment nd bleacher's...test a coin on the top side...notice the depth loss compared to the bottom...again a unique coil jsut not what i would need but on rare occasion's...but it's available if need be....This new sniper coil has the chrome connector and it is noticeable HOTTER than the first 4.5 sniper coil I had...but a good 1.5 - 2 inches...

Like the T2 was built around the Bi-Axial it almost feels like the AT was designed around the Blunt tip DD...

One other thing I would like to add Garrett must still be tweaking on the AT platform...this one I have has excellent depth yet is virtually E.M.I. free with any coil on it...Even around broadband...

I checked airtest compared to earlier AT's I had and it's as hot just more quite...Wonder if they shielded the inside of the box some way...?

Thaks BJ
August 16, 2012 11:41PM
Keith,
When I bought my 4.5" super sniper coil,,, it was old stock, from when they first came out,,,every place I tried to use it, it acted like i was in heavy EMI,,,I had drop the sens down 3 or 4 bars,, and it still did not sound right,,, I called Garrett and talked to a nice Lady,,not Sue,,,she took my info,, looked up my ser.# on my AT and said she would get one in the mail,,,,well it never showed up,, so I cald and talked to Brad,,,he said they were out and going to be making some more, real soon....He said I was at the top of the list....A week later, I got the 4.5 coil, and it has the chrome conector....They even sent me a return shipping lable,,,,not that is service......
People told me the 4.5 was not a deep coil,,, but I have been happy....Come on 3x5 dd blunt tip coil....

I liked my AT pro so much,, I bought another one,,,now I can swing one in each hand,lol.....

Did you check out that new Ergonomic Grip on that AT Pro ??

Bj
August 17, 2012 12:29PM
Hi Keith ,
Thanks for the description ......From your descritions , I am also feeling " High Definition " ......... This is now a coil I feel will do the machine justice in tight situations ......I use the larger stock coil for sweeping beaches where I need more covereage which is what I mainly hunt now, but for those times in the trashy parks or even those times in the water where a smaller coil is needed ..... Thanks again .....Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2012 12:33PM by synthnut.
August 17, 2012 07:37PM
Nice example Jim....High Def..

Very accurate analogy..

Yes I saw a ergonomic handlebar type grip BJ on a used one ...Is that the stock grip now?

looks rugged for sure..

Keith
August 17, 2012 08:40PM
Yes I saw a ergonomic handlebar type grip BJ on a used one ...Is that the stock grip now?

looks rugged for sure..

Keith
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Keith,
Its a after mkt. grip,,,,I know the used one that you are talking about,,,and you can buy them from Larry...
Since, the AT rod is smaller than a CZ rod,,,wonder if it will work ???
Bj
August 17, 2012 08:52PM
Where did you guys see "this new ergonomic grip? I put a pistol sytle grip on my AT Pro because I find the stock one too soft. I have been using the 5x8 DD for quite a while and love the lack of EMI and especially like the blending of the tones . If I am in the right mood I can hear a whisper of the sweet tone which I can then do a tight wiggle to confirm that it is a non ferrous target. I have pulled some great finds from areas that I have been over many times and not dug a target. The AT Pro with 5x8 ist he most fun and relaxing combo I have used.

Dalpal
August 18, 2012 12:35AM
Yes Dalpal the At-PRO with the 5x8 DD is one of the best set-up's I have come across for unmasking...

Just yesterday iwas in a solid iorn grunt site and was really unbelieveable all the non0ferrous target's i removed that started out as little pip sounds till I duid the wiggle on top of the pips and all of a sudden the target morphed into a beautiful solid hit ina constant barrga eo fo iron rolling tone...very unique the way it works'''

It is a joy to use.. and produces with the best of them...actually I find it does better in some way's than anything I have encountered...

Good write up..

Keith
November 07, 2018 11:01PM
bump
November 07, 2018 11:12PM
A long long time ago in a far away land....
November 07, 2018 11:50PM
Welcome back to 2012, Mike!

I have fond memories, I found 122 silvers that year, my second best silver total to date. The vast majority were found with the AT Pro.

And those two clowns hadn't yet started that moronic show using their AT Pros. Diggers never stopped me from using the AT Pro, but that show did take some luster off the brand for me.

Six plus years later, I still can't argue with anything Keith said about the descriptive AT Pro audio and performance of the 5X8 coil. I never got an AT Max, but have been very disappointed to see the underwhelming reports from users. I was hoping for an AT Pro on steroids, but the prevalent opinion from those who have used the Max is that the audio isn't anywhere close to the AT Pro.
November 07, 2018 11:56PM
I used an ATPro for 2 years, I got no complaints. I like the Max better though. Maybe I will get another one..
November 08, 2018 01:20AM
The AT Pro belongs in the hall of fame. It paved the way for affordable detectors that dethroned top of the line models. It set the standard for the All Terrain features. I personally thought the audio was great. Not being multi frequency for salt water was the killer for me. Then for Garrett to release the Max and still no multi frequency?

We waited years for a light weight salt water detector. The market was there.
Tom & Keith
November 08, 2018 02:55AM
So Tom maybe a stupid question but having not tested the AT PRO are you still a user of the impact and how do you rate that with different coils. I like to hunt in the all-metal mode with the disc being used as a tone break. And Keith why not the AT GOLD...higher feq?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!