Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Spent today testing the 5x8 DD coil on the AT-PRO

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Spent today testing the 5x8 DD coil on the AT-PRO
August 11, 2012 02:31AM
And i can honestly tell you it's the best small High performance coil I have encountered..

I have always loved how the audio of the AT once learned talks volume's....I am sure the audio is not for everyone...but if you really want to work in the noise the AT unmask very well....

But to be hnest the 4.5 sniped coil is not a high performce small coil ...its great for recent drops in park trash but thats it...

But the 5x8 DD blunt tip design when coupled with the At-PRO is really really an awesome combo..

Users requested a high performace small coil and Garrett listened....

Depth test are close to the large stock coil but the separation is on another level...

This site I was in today is a site I dug a very special relic out of a couple of years ago...so I have beat this site to death...It just one big nail bed...and it has quit producing a few month's back...even the DEUS is through in here....

Well the At -Pro with the 5x8 DD went in today and managed to find target's...

now the target's are not worth money ...but are priceless in terms of what was accomplished in this wall to wall nail bed...

one thing that I just never dig and I dug 2 of today is as you can see in the pic is buckshot.....they both were in a continous iron tone roll...

a small shotgun hull deteriated badly...a small piece of pewtwer spoon that was at least 7 inches in nails...and the real kicker is the brass Lighning rod...

it was straight up and down about 10 inches deep...in some severe iron grunt's...with just a hint of the beautiful audio breaking high tone in one direction...

for those that dont know the brass lighning rod's were made in the Victorian era..They have been called lot's of thing's but they are lightning rod tip's...

The 5x8 setup on the At-PRO has me really excited right now...I love the AT and the coil takes it to the next level...This is the coil that was needed to be built....I wish F.T. would make a mini Bi-Axial .....

Thought I would share...

Pro mode ,,,,Sens wide open...iron audio on,,,,iron disc on 32...thats the magic number...

Notice all the target's are really low conductor's and all form iron infestation in a dead spot...
Re: Spent today testing the 5x8 DD coil on the AT-PRO
August 11, 2012 03:20AM
Hi Keith,I took your advice and bought the AT pro a few months back. I now rarely take off the small coil. The ground is so hard and dry right now,that I really can't hit my gold camp sites. Last time I did,I about destroyed my Lesche by using it as a chisel and hitting it with a hammer. So I've been using it at some ghetto parks,and once you get use too the tone roll,its killer on finding those masked coins. Definitely a nice unit.
August 11, 2012 03:34AM
Nice finds, Keith! What do you guys mean by "tone roll?"

Steve
August 11, 2012 03:37AM
Hey Ray I am glad you like the AT it is alot of technology for a REALISTIC price...

Yes I can see this coil as the main coil for use in all but open area's..

I tried the coil when I had a chance to use the AT-GOLD a few month's back....But I did not get a real grasp on it till now I have my own 5x8 DD..

I knew it was a must have coil but till you get some time on it...it really grabs you....A top tier coil for sure...and a must have if you are working trashy sites and iron ....

It took a great machine and pushed it even further...I feel at one with this setup if that makes sense.....It is the perfect combo...

I have not been this impressed with a detector since the T2 release..

Really it is an awesome setup that will not leave nothing for the high dollar machine to come in behind you if you utilize it with the proper setting's..

Thanks

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2012 04:19AM by Keith Southern.
August 11, 2012 04:57AM
Tone roll is what Garrett calls the pro mode audio....

It gives a full target response from start to finish ...not just the beep like a standard disc audio produces from a composite/snapshot picture of the target...the pro mode will give you the edges and the center of the target......

Say you have a steel bottle cap....most detectors will signal as high tone....well the pro audio will give you the approach and departure as alow tone iron sound then the center part high tone ...it sort of like running all metal with i.d. in a disc circuit if that makes sense....You know how a iron washer will high tone from the hole in the center ...well most machine's will just high tone a iron washer.. the tone roll will allow for a iron tone on the edges of the high tone...good solid conductors like copper silver etc are a solid tone like mid or high but you still get the approach and departure..by this I mean you will get a weak high tone on a dime on the approach then the solid louder high tone for center then a weaker high tone on the departure..the Audio is very modulated....but iron that falses high tone is more easily identified even the small sizes that fool you with the ability to roll from low to high...

In simpler words you hear the ramp up and ramp down of the target...with alot of nuance and modulation and tone variability

Now theres another option also called iron audio....and this is the way I run mine ...it allows you to have a tone break on iron...i.e. you choose where you have the iron tone go from low to high....Very much welcome option ...

it has the attributes of the gold bug pro like this...The ability for you to selct the tone break right at nail reject point only.Very beneficial for unmasking...I find a disc setting of 32-33 works the best..it goes to 40...then when I have the iron audio activated low tones for 0-32 then higher tone 33 up ..

Some people like to not activate the iron audio and anything below the disc will be quite...

Some people like to set it on zero then let the machine set the tone break at 35 from low to higher...while thats fine it's not the most beneficial for truly unmasking...to get the most out of the site you need to have the variable tone...so set you disc and choose iron audio option..less chance of masking...

But back to the tone roll...it helps give a fuller audio to iron object's///

The At-PRO is the most audio conveying machine in iron I have encountered....it is noisy and it's not for everyone but once understood and learned the audio option of this machine will unmask extremely well...with alot of fun factor involved...

now when you are in a bed of iron nails the audio roll will be on all sides of a good target...but listen to the strength of the iron audio to the high tone audio and there will be subtleties to alert you to dig...A hard strong iron roll all of a sudden in light iron roll means bigger iron. a high tone thats strong after a hard iron roll will be an iron false...a sweet sounding faint high tone even just one way in a constant roll of iron can be a good masked target...a quicker clipped type faint hight one in a constant low iron grount could mean a bent nail iron false...the more you use if you give it time the more finds you will make...

take the buck shot in the photo... that came out of iron grunt's that did not stop grunting now that says somthing to me...That coil is awesome...

I might add the AT also runs very well in mineralized ground...

A very solid world class machine...and when coupled with the EXCELLENT blunt tipped coil design in the mini version...A good solid performer...Audio unequalled..

You hear it all in the ground with unique audio and really you are the only one to blame if you leave a target that is diggable in a site..

Me and the AT-PRO just click...It tells me thing's I want to hear....everyone hunts differently but I like to hear it all...

I am very happy right now with the particular setup for a daily grab and hunt machine...

I have always been a fan of smaller than stock coils and this just solidifies that way of thinking for me...

Keith

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2012 06:17AM by Keith Southern.
August 11, 2012 05:35AM
Keith --

Thanks for your usual excellent explanation. It answers my question perfectly. Your descriptive explanation paints a good picture in my mind of the "roll" you are talking about, and it really sounds like a type of audio that I would enjoy/appreciate in a machine...

Steve
August 11, 2012 06:25AM
Thanks Steve...

Yes if you like to hunt by ear and like to hunt iron infestation the AT-PRO is a very very good machine. the 5x8 DD option open's up a new avenue of exploration..

I should also mention the AT has depth and does not suffer from E.M.I. especially with the small coil installed...Not that the stock DD is prone to it either though..

Still hard to believe Garrett gave us the AT-PRO and kept the price point down for what it brings to the plate..

They could make a few tweaks to the platform and look out...Wonder if they will ever give us a B.P. Mode!!!!!!!

Keith
August 11, 2012 11:19AM
A small coil can dramatically change the operating performance/characteristics of a metal detector........... even to the point of making the detector seem like a completely different platform. This is to say......... it can make certain hunted-out sites...seem new all over again. From day-one...... Brent Weaver (and Vaughn Garrett) needed to be commended for the invention/inception of this architect. I would be remiss if I failed to mention that it is this specific electronic architect/platform that presents such a dramatic departure from all of Garrett's previous platforms. From decades of 'hobby' (almost toy'ish) detectors....... to ........ a professional/serious entrant. A paradigm-shift has been successfully made. But........ does the GP (General Public) know it? Furthermore ....... will they act upon it....... and/or know how to properly apply/utilize it? (((Marketing/advertising is 'key' ..... to overcome this issue ...... err 'stigma' ))).

Remembering the initial rant(s) over the AT Pro............. although a show-stopper with the coil issue............ the issues were (minor and) corrected promptly.......... and now Garrett has a top player.

The pride of being able to hunt in 'hunted out' iron-infested sites is "value-added". Yet, the sentiment goes much deeper than just simply the human emotion of 'pride'. From an archaeological standpoint........ this IS a major accolade in the enhanced/increased recovery of additional implements (that would ... otherwise ... remain 'masked' ) that can be of major National historical significance.
Never to be taken lightly.

Currently, I do not own a AT Pro (nor the new 5x8 coil); yet, (Keith)...... your thought process is identical to mine.
August 11, 2012 12:00PM
I sold my AT Pro with both coils locally to fund my Deus purchase. I have hunted with the man I sold it to on a few occasions. Every time I hunt with him I want my detector back. I would rather hunt with my Deus, but there was something about the AT Pro that just made it a fine detector. For the price it is a great detector. I have used and sold my share of detectors through the years. Most I never give a second thought about. But the AT Pro haunts me for some reason. Must be it's performance. And I also said the same thing about that the 5 x 8 coil. That is the best small coil I ever used.

The one thing that surprises me is Garrett. I thought they would release an AT Pro on steroids to become their new top of the line detector. Their top end units are in need of replacement. Can you imagine an AT multi frequency unit? One that could handle the salt water environment. And come in a grand less than Minelab?

One thing that needs addressed on the AT line of detectors is the cable length of the coil. I always wanted to chest mount the head of the detector. Garrett needed to release an extension cable and never did. They could have made a fortune with an extension cable and chest harness combo pak. YES Garrett I am available for a creative marketing job.

And lastly I would like to say that Garrett has a wonderful customer service.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2012 12:04PM by goodmore.
August 11, 2012 01:19PM
My only complaint, is the connector for the coil is set so close to the head that its a birch to line up the pins.and get it hooked up. If you have big hands ,are hung over or have Parkinson's ,forget about it,it will be next too impossible.
August 11, 2012 04:10PM
My only complaint, is the connector for the coil is set so close to the head that its a birch to line up the pins.and get it hooked up. If you have big hands ,are hung over or have Parkinson's ,forget about it,it will be next too impossible.
August 12, 2012 01:15AM
I've had one since the first batch of 5x8's were delivered. Pretty much lives on my machine, even when wading. My first outing was in a bar's dirt parking lot where I tested it's abilities in separating pull tabs a bottle caps from coins. Did very good. A few times I literally rested it on the grass and wiggled it slightly to see if that little tone in between the trash was really a coin. Worked very well. Also has done a respectable job in the woods looking for relics and in salt and fresh water. While I have a high end machine as well I won't be parting with my AT-Pro anytime soon. They compliment each other so well!
August 12, 2012 07:02AM
Yes the AT is a good machine to keep on hand...And yes the 5x8 coil has me really energized it a positive way....

They ship the larger blunt tip on it 8x11 DD but the stock coil ought to be the 5x8 in my opinion...

I know the thought process though...they need to show the depth ability when in showroom comparison ...but I am a huge fan of smaller coils and elliptical style DD's is the real forte' coil for me personally...A little 4x6 or 3x5 would be welcome also...but I am Quite content with the excellent eprfomance I am getting right now on the 5x8...

glad you like the machine sailorman..

Keith
August 12, 2012 07:04AM
Yes the connectors are a little fussy Ray...

But it is what it is..

Keith
August 12, 2012 07:04AM
Glad to Help Steve!

Keith
August 12, 2012 07:35AM
Dead on Tom...!!!

Thanks for the reply ...

If you get a chance to try the AT with the 5x8 I think you will take to it and find a use for it...

I like to find equipment I can mesh with....Wish I had not put the 5x8 on the back burner for so long....My poor stock coil is going to get lonely...

I do notice it falses nails a little more than the stock Blunt tip...But it hears so much more co-located target's in the steady iron drum roll sound...I like a sparky set-up and this one get's sparky and snappy and yet at the same time offers enhanced signal conveying with razors edge tone break...

Yes froman archaeological standpoint exact cutting edge performance is of the utmost importance and requirement...

Heres a iron relic I got today in a bed of nails...It was a larger iron roll with hint's of high falsing...I had to go see what it was...glad I did..10 inches deep..
it's a Springfield Model 1861 lock plate...will start preservation on it in the next couple of day's..Another piece of history rescued for future generations to learn from..

Hope I can get the date to show and maybe the eagle...

Thanks Tom!!
August 12, 2012 11:11AM
Well Tom if you ever want to spend a day hunting with one just let me know, I hunt Cocoa beach now and then and could spend a day anywhere down that way. Be glad to let you run her and see how it works for you. :-)
August 12, 2012 12:52PM
Where do you live sailorman? Maybe you, Aaron & I could test it in Ft. Meade, Florida. And maybe Keith could join in this endeavor.
((( I do not own a AT Pro ))).
Keith, great write up and I agree
August 12, 2012 03:54PM
I got a new AT Pro with both coils one week ago and I liked the 5x8 soon as I put it on, matter of fact it is still on the AT Pro. The only problem I have right now is the temp, it is 115 here in the desert, so it will be October before I can turn it lose on my hunted out spots and see what I missed..

Tom B
August 12, 2012 04:14PM
Keith....when you post....I eagerly scroll down and click on them and I am never disappointed. Never. You are a true asset to the forum aspect of this hobby. Thanks for what you do.
August 12, 2012 05:47PM
Excellent observations, Keith.

One other thing I love about the AT Pro I don't think you mentioned is the wide sweep speed tolerance of this detector.

You can swing it faster when you are in more clean wide open areas or slower when you are in the trash and get excellent depth with slower or faster speeds.

That sweet little 5X8 coil combined with a really slow sweep speed will usually find keepers in trashy areas, even if they are supposedly "hunted out".
August 13, 2012 12:54AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where do you live sailorman? Maybe you, Aaron & I
> could test it in Ft. Meade, Florida. And maybe
> Keith could join in this endeavor.
> ((( I do not own a AT Pro ))).

I'm up in Sanford but I'm open to a good day of testing! I have the AT-Pro with stock, 5x8 and Super Sniper.

Can also bring my E-Trac with Pro Coil, Sunray X-5 and 13" Ultimate coil.

If you want I can probably talk to a friend and bring him along with even another AT-Pro (with another 5x8) and two fisher F-5's.
August 13, 2012 02:00AM
You can also go the other way with the AT Pro if you wish. It makes one heck of a clad hunting machine too. Very accurate target ID and can be swept very fast. I see some hunters on another forum are expecting 3 to 400 dollars in clad this year. That is no longer chump change.
August 13, 2012 07:20AM
Thanks Kevin!
Re: Keith, great write up and I agree
August 13, 2012 07:21AM
Hope it cools off for ya.

Its hot hear too but not that Hot LOL!!!

Keith
August 13, 2012 07:25AM
I would love to join yall for hunt Tom...But 500 miles one way limit's my availability...Maybe sometime when I am down at the kin folk on Amelia Island we can get together for a hunt...

I know some spot's on the island that has civil war relics....

Maybe I will get down there in the next few month's..

If I do I will let you know in advance ...

Thanks

Keith
August 13, 2012 07:32AM
Yes marcomo good point the AT does allow for varying sweep speed's..Sort of like it has a vari-filter in it ....

What I like about the 5x8 DD is the fact that even in dense iron it will signal a blip of a high tone over the iron grunt's even at a moderate sweep speed...yet when you slow down to reinvestigate the blip turn's into a symphony of nuanced tone..

There's so many little pips and pops when you drop into sloth mode that you can spend days investigating signals...No irony site is ever void of signals with the 5x8 thats for sure....use your ear and your curiosity and windows will open...

Thanks for bringing it up

Keith
August 13, 2012 12:34PM
sailorman..... I've been detecting Sanford (1877) / Mellonville (1835) for the past 16 years......... and hunt there quite frequently.
August 13, 2012 02:14PM
"A symphony of nuanced tone..." I like that description, Keith.

The AT is a user-friendly machine that is easy to first pick up and do well with, but goes to a whole new level when the computer between your ears begins to master the nuances of the audio.
August 13, 2012 02:43PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sailorman..... I've been detecting Sanford (1877)
> / Mellonville (1835) for the past 16
> years......... and hunt there quite frequently.

We'll have to hook up and let you run an AT with a 5x8 then for sure. Hunt pretty much every weekend! Not against a bit of a drive either.