Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tom have you done any testing on the E-trac

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tom have you done any testing on the E-trac
April 26, 2009 01:33AM
I got a relative who seems to be convinced that an E-trac has to be his first metal detector. I'm doubtful it would perform much better than the F75. Looking for input that I can pass along to him. He's never owned a MD before and I feel this would be to much machine for a beginner.
Jeb
Re: Tom have you done any testing on the E-trac
April 26, 2009 08:55AM
I agree totally with you. It sounds like your `relative` is under the impression that metal detecting is that simple, all you need is buy a "top of the range" metal detector, switch on and let the metal detector do the rest !
He has a MASSIVE shock coming to him. Tell him not to waste his money, and LEARN THE BASICS of metal detecting first . After all , would a learner driver learn to drive in a Ferrari Enzo? would he have the expirience to drive it even if he learned the basics ?
The answer IS No!.
April 28, 2009 02:08AM
If he lives in bad dirt country...... I'd recommend the Explorer.... and with very low performance settings, , , so as to come up-to-speed on the correct (final) detector.
If he lives in moderate (or less) mineral soil country.......... do the same thing......................... but with the F75.
April 28, 2009 11:08AM
Tom, what areas of the USA do you consider "bad dirt" country?
April 28, 2009 08:21PM
S.E. U.S. ...... Many parts of GA, AL, VA, SC. This answer is vague...so I will also say this. Any dirt where a 4" deep dime is having a near-failure time giving a proper ID. You may find places in the (above) States where you can acquire 7" and proper ID on a dime...... and other places in the same State where 2" proper ID is max.
April 29, 2009 01:04PM
Would this type of ground show extremely high GB or FeO3 numbers? Or is the inability to ID the only characteristic?
May 01, 2009 01:17AM
Yes, it'll show high Fe3O4 readout...... and the first thing that happens..... is the deeper targets will ID as iron. Then..... the next thing (as dirt gets worse) is there will be a loss in depth.
I've had this happen many times
May 01, 2009 11:18AM
I've had this happen many times in the past several years. I would be hunting and get a very faint or low volume audio response to what I thought was a good target. In these cases I would always dig a larger plug believing the target was deep. Checking the hole revealed nothing. Then I would bring more dirt out of the hole and still nothing in either the hole or pile of dirt. Knowing I had a good target I would always break the plug into two pieces and many times I would find a coin less than 3" from the grass level of the plug.

I might add, I live in the southwestern part of Virginia about 10 miles from the North Carolina line.

NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> S.E. U.S. ...... Many parts of GA, AL, VA, SC.
> This answer is vague...so I will also say this.
> Any dirt where a 4" deep dime is having a
> near-failure time giving a proper ID. You may find
> places in the (above) States where you can acquire
> 7" and proper ID on a dime...... and other places
> in the same State where 2" proper ID is max.
Re: I've had this happen many times
May 02, 2009 10:42AM
You might want to try an Explorer. First, in a test-garden.......... head-to-head.