Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Magnet for small nails

Posted by marcomo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Magnet for small nails
April 28, 2009 02:19AM
First of all, I wanted to say hello to Tom and all on this forum.

I don't have anywhere near the technical proficiency of most here, but I appreciate the knowledge I've picked up from so many of you.

My question was about using a magnet to remove small nails and such during target retrieval in iron infested sites.

I believe a while back Tom had mentioned to use a strong neodymium magnet for this purpose.

How much pulling force is needed, and what size works best?

Also, are there any possible hazards to using a powerful rare earth magnet? I'm thinking demagnetization of credit cards for one thing.
computer hard drive
April 28, 2009 11:27AM
In most of the hard drives built today there is a very strong magnet. I have one attached to the back of my shovel. Check your local computer repair shop for the ones that they've replaced. The damaged ones should be free.
Re: computer hard drive
April 28, 2009 08:30PM
Mount a rare earth magnet on the long wooden pole of a full-length shovel (with shovel head removed). This will keep you from having to 'exercise' your back too much. Use a magnet that is large enough to carry around. Yes, there are so many varying strengths/sizes...... but use some common sense. Don't place the magnet in your pocket.... then walk between two parked cars. You may find that you have become an integral part of the car! Yes, some of these 1000-lbs pull (rare earth) magnets will do just exactly this. Wrap it in a large blanket BEFORE you place it in your metal trunk. Be careful with these exceptionally strong magnets..... they WILL surprise you! Common sense dictates that you should keep it away (no close proximity) from electronics.