Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Diving boots and socks... again!

Posted by connortn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Diving boots and socks... again!
August 26, 2012 01:02AM
I've been looking at diving boots and found some "Promate 5mm America Scuba Diving Pull-On Boots" and "Promate 5mm Dreadnought Hard Sole Scuba Dive Zipper Boots" on Amazon. The pull-ons are a bit cheaper but I thought the hard sole zipper boots might be better for detecting/wading in 3 foot water at the beach. I then thought, why not just use dive socks and wear my sandals or canvas slip-ons? Is this a good ideal or should I stay with the boots? I have never used either, and it may not be advisable to use dive socks with slippers or sandals.

Any input from you guys?
Re: Diving boots and socks... again!
August 26, 2012 02:14AM
You need something with a heavy enough sole to push the scoop in and protect from sharp objects, don't think the stocking foot will work well.. Dive boots if the water is cold or river shoes(or similiar) in warm water.
August 26, 2012 02:18AM
It's all a matter of personal comfort and security. Some guys go barefoot. Some in flip flops. There is no right or wrong answer. Personally I wear 6mm boots and Lycra socks. I can tell you from personal experience that no footwear keeps the sand out better than diving boots. And what ever sand gets in mine is negated by the socks. I also like the idea of protection from hot sand, pointy metal objects and sea creatures. Some guys have feet that can walk on broken glass and hot coals. Not me.

When it comes to the feet on the beach nothing is more miserable than a shoe filled with sand. It will make your feet sore and possibly cut your hunting time short. In extreme cases it might ruin a beach trip.
August 26, 2012 02:23AM
You find out very quickly why sandles are a bad idea when you have to stop every couple of minutes to remove the pebbles and ect that will work themselves under your soles, even w socks.
And yes the neoprene dive boots w the hard rubber bottom to push down on the digger is a must.
August 26, 2012 03:16AM
So I would be better off with the hard sole dive boots. Do I need special socks with these? I'm thinking not but better ask. ...do I need socks at all with dive boots in the situation I'm using them in?
August 26, 2012 06:05AM
dive boots are the only way to go!!! everything i tried before the dive boots allowed sand in and my feet ended up raw and i did cut hunts short because of the sand irritation!!!!!!!
i use the pro mates with the hard sole that looks like a sneaker/tennis shoe. yes, regular calf height socks work fine!
August 26, 2012 10:03AM
I usually don't wear socks but it's personal choice.
August 26, 2012 10:55AM
Hard sole, zip up dive boots without socks here. No socks but Lycra socks might get tried some day.
August 26, 2012 02:57PM
The zippers might irrate you with getting them off..... but you dont get nearly the sand in them, which is especially irratating at the surf. I also bought some things that go at the top of them for boots that keep EVERYTHING out. The scoop really take wear and tare on them. Also you cant believe how sore your feet can get from sand getting in your shoes. I tried deck shoes with that mesh..... KILLED my feet.

Dew
August 26, 2012 06:00PM
Thanks a bunch guys. I wound up ordering the "Promate 5mm Dreadnought Hard Sole Scuba Dive Zipper Boots". Will try them out and see if i need some Lycra socks. I went with the over the ankle type boot as I figure I'll be kicking a lot of sand while using my scoop and the low tops might let sand in them doing that. I'll try to do a little review on them after I use them awhile in case anyone else here needs dive boots.

Need to pick up a decent find bag as I aways use a cloth carpenters apron on land. Need one to keep from loosing my trash....er... gold rings :-)