Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fellow detectorists...it didn't last long!!!!

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fellow detectorists...it didn't last long!!!!
September 17, 2012 09:38PM
I just could NOT stand it any longer!!!!! Everytime I would mow over my test garden my heart would pine away for an electromagnetic coil to sweep over it. It was more than I could take. I almost needed mouth to mouth!!!! So what did I do????? I bought an AT Pro with the stock coil and the 5x8 coil (which is on it now and it just through raing about three inches...time to hit those sites that were bone dry all summer!!!

But I didn't stop there!!! Oh no, not at all!!!! I bought Daniel's Troy x5 too!!!! It has a 5x10 dd coil and i cannot wait to try it out. I think it has some other coils too. But what does that tell ya about how strong of a man I am!!!!!! DON'T ANSWER THAT!!!!! lol
Hopefully, I'll make som,e nice finds this afternoon.
Re: Fellow detectorists...it didn't last long!!!!
September 17, 2012 10:21PM
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do,.....but be sure to run it by the mrs. first.
September 18, 2012 01:20AM
I laways just DO IT , and then run it by my girlfriend, pleading tempory insanity. Works everytime. I told her that I need TWO detectors because i want HER to come along as well!!!! She mumbled something about not getting out there with the snakes and varmints.
September 18, 2012 02:13AM
Tell her to use detector coil to "WHOOP" the snakes when encountered, LOL.
September 18, 2012 10:41AM
My wife won't even sample a detector, will not put on the headphones or pick it up. Says she has zero interest in detecting....I don't understand that because she's not a girly girl.
She has helped me install fences, dig out tree stumps, paint. I have to tell her not to go on the roof to clean out the gutters. She listens when I talk detector talk and responds with good questions and possibilities. One thing I have to do to stay in good graces with her is to keep up with the chores and projects around the house. When I do that, she has no problem when I go out detecting for long periods of time. Being a realitor, she ocasionally gets permission for me to hunt old properties.
Gotta have ballance and keep the peace.
September 18, 2012 11:34AM
Kevin,

If that X5 came with the 7 inch coil, put it on, set the threshold up the way it's instructed, put the unit in fixed GB mode, discrim around 3, sens around 8 and give it to your girlfriend to try out at a park. If the pull tabs start to bother her, up the discrimination so she can coin shoot.

Bet she ends up liking it a lot. Just be careful she does not take it away from you !
September 18, 2012 01:41PM
Heck they have detox. centers for everything except the hobby.....mighty addictive at best....
September 18, 2012 01:41PM
Kevin you are one funny guy. I like you! lol
September 18, 2012 06:42PM
Stoopstroop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kevin you are one funny guy. I like you! lol

I BET YOU DO!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!! Just a guy kidding around with his detector dealer. I like you too Bart.
September 18, 2012 07:20PM
Hey Kevin...You will like the X-5....

You will find the 5x10 DD as the GO-TO coil for most application's..I think you will be quite surprised at how a 10 year old detector will challenge the modern detector's in the depth department...

It's quite possible one of the deepest machine's made to date . When set up right ...the DD will allow for some negative ground bal. settings in bad ground..I like the serial number 600 and below ..But just for some personal preferances...

Troy designed a circuit in the X5 that amplified high conductor's...And it's no joke, it really work's..And works well...It still to this date pulls silver coins at depth in my dirt that no other machine can.....And this is on 19kHz...I can work a site and work a site then go in with the X5 and get a DEEEP silver dime or on deep edge Quarter in a spot till now have not even produced silver for me...

It weatherproof and built with +/- 1% tolerance component's other machine are going to be 5% tolerance...

Now it will have problems with iron rejection....the latter ones reject iron better than the first 600..but still suffer...It's a pure relic machine...Best confederate button digger I have found...The Disc is real critical move it a hair either way and you will dig larger than nail iron or to far the other way and iron is ignored too good...once you find the sweetspot mark it and leave it...It will inmask but not like the modern machine's..No where near the At-PRO you now have.

It has a nickle check and a zinc check that will help with large iron to some extent..Large iron will bleed though with a crackle sound on the nickle but a button will either go quite or signal but no crackle so keep that in mind....

But again it's a relic machine and unless you like to dig iron you will end up turning the disc up to far and then it will be detrimental to the unmaskig...I akin it alot to a 1266 on 19kHz if that makes sense..Troy was looking for depth and more depth instead of unmasking in iron...The freq will jump on brass with the best of them and you will find deeeper target's than what you have probably ran in isolated spot's..

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2012 09:44PM by Keith Southern.
September 18, 2012 09:04PM
Keith, I just got the Troy X5 in and put the 5x10 dd coil on it. That sucker is slamming on every bullet and button and silver dime in my test garden. And I love the look and balance. I'm going to be hitting a battle field this weekend with it. I need to read the intruction book. As deep as it is in BeachDISC I think that I will keep it in that mode. I'll be digging all metal at the battle field.
September 18, 2012 09:50PM
Yes but remember the beach disc mode will hinder some sensitivity...It helps in bad ground cut out noise of hotrocks some but it comes at a cost...

I never run in Beach mode unless I need to ..i.e. wet salt....

Glad it's hitting all your target's!!!!

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2012 10:12PM by Keith Southern.