Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fisher ID-EDGE vs CZ-3D

Posted by yorkshire_rich 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fisher ID-EDGE vs CZ-3D
October 01, 2007 11:21PM
Hi Tom/Ev1

How would you rate the ID-EDGE compared to the CZ-3D?

Inland coin hunting mainly....on ploughed fields,stubble fields and older parkland.

I have n't heard much said about the ID-EDGE so anyone with experience on this unit please share what you know here.

I love the CZ-5(i have one) and fancy a 3D when i can afford it.Just noticed a few ID-EDGE units for sale in the UK at sensible prices.Hence the request for help.

Thanks

Rich (England)
Re: Fisher ID-EDGE vs CZ-3D
October 02, 2007 05:16PM
Rich,

The ID Edge is a good unit and has nearly the same depth as the CZ; however, the CZ (in most cases) will ID deep targets with greater accuracy. The CZ is also a better coin hunter..... and does well in bad ground. I also feel that the CZ handles iron slightly better,,,, over the ID Edge.

Tom
October 02, 2007 05:34PM
Hi Tom

Thanks for the info.

Is it possible to get my CZ-5 upgraded to the CZ-3D specification? Just curious.

Rich
October 02, 2007 06:29PM
Hi,

I do feel that you are a bit baised towards the CZ's, Tom. I have had a CZ-3D in the past and now have an ID Edge - in my opinion there is no contest between the 3D and ID Edge in iron - I don't dig any deep, rusty nails with the Id Edge!!!

I have also had a Coinstrike, and the Edge is better than that since it gives a visual id right down to full depth.

I have personaaly pulled out a 15mm lead disc (2mm thick), from 14 inches with the ID Edge.
It is an excellent detector and it's a real shame that Fisher went under before the Edge got a real chance.
October 03, 2007 01:41AM
My results are Florida & Georgia real-world, real-dirt performance. And I know that I'm heavily biased towards the CZ...... due to so many years of experience under my belt,,,,, yet I certainly TRY to represent impartiality when performing head-to-head comparison testing. In a professional test-garden.... the CZ takes the lead,,,, both on low conductors - 'foil' gold ring & nickel.... and high conductors - Cu penny & Ag Dime.

Tom
October 03, 2007 12:32PM
Hi Tom,

the Edge gets a pos vote from me. I find it very hard to go back to the CZ's after using the CoinStrike and now the ID Edge. I know you need every bit of depth you can get down there in Florida but, where I hunt fast recovery is key. Ploughed fields are no problem with the Edge. It acts more like the T2 over rough plowed ground than the Coinstrike, which is not my favorite in those conditions.

Remember also, your CZ's are top notch well tuned units. The Coinstrike (and now the Edge) beat both CZ's I used to own "in the field" on properly ID'ing small low conductors with solid ID's vs the iron/foil bounce of the CZ's (head to head).

Yep, many have switched from the C$ to the Edge and been very happy with the change.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2007 12:35PM by Jackpine.
October 03, 2007 04:38PM
If you get a chance...... try a F-75 in "PF" mode and see how it compares to the ID Edge on small/low conductors. Notice it's speed of recovery between targets.

Tom
October 03, 2007 06:30PM
I certainly would not compare recovery speed of the F-75 vs the Edge.
Yes, the Edge has a quick recovery, but not in the same class as the F-75, which
is basically without competition in regards to recovery speed.
But - the Edge is a lot quicker recovering than the CZ's, just as deep and superior iron discrim.
October 06, 2007 11:20AM
Tom,

My plan is to get a T2 when FT comes out with a small coil for it. The Edge with the small coil can hunt behind a T2 and pick up small low conductors that were missed in iron.

I have no need for the F-75. Although it may be the "better" machine, I prefer something a little more "turn on and go" vs having to remember all the different aspects of keeping the F-75 stable. I spend more time water hunting than land hunting so prefer a machine I can pick up after not having used it for a couple months and get back in the groove with very little relearning. The T2 fits that bill nicely! Don't need notch and a backlight either. LOL

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2007 11:25AM by Jackpine.