Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

One change to your favorite machine?

Posted by CSGeorgia 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
One change to your favorite machine?
October 22, 2012 01:01AM
Just wondering what one thing you would love to see change about your favorite detector. For me, I'd love to see the Tejon have a second frequency choice(only able to run one at at time), say around 5 or 6 khz.

Thanks,
Chad
Re: One change to your favorite machine?
October 22, 2012 01:10AM
CZ with DD coils.
October 22, 2012 01:25AM
Can't say its my favorite machine, but it ranks right up there. I would like to have 3 or 4 tones my Vaquero.
October 22, 2012 01:45AM
The E Trac would have to be the weight
The Sovereign I want in a waterproof box (OK I don't own a Sovereign at this current time)
The Deus would be normalized Target VDI across all 4 frequencies
The Excal would be a better type housing about half the length w/ quick disconnect for the coil.
October 22, 2012 02:21AM
A big gold coin stuck to the bottom!!!!!!!!
October 22, 2012 02:36AM
I would like to have a second freq switch setting of 75khz on my mxt for nugget hunting.
October 22, 2012 02:57AM
Hah! Good answer mascard, but just one, not a whole cache?
October 22, 2012 07:10AM
*Tonebreak audio modes (with user-controllable audio pitch in 2-tone mode) on the Fisher F75
*Cordless headphones on just about any detector
*More water-resistance/proofing on all high-end machines
October 22, 2012 12:00PM
Lower weight on Etrac, better balance on the AT-Pro!

But yeah a gold coin would trump all those....
October 22, 2012 12:54PM
F75SE without EMI issues.

XP GMP with F75SE depth abilities (when not EMI plagued).

New CZ-3D's from FTP standardized with yesteryears performance spec's/levels.

CTX-3030 with unmasking abilities of XP GMP.

Detecting bans removed.

Better marriage between archaeologists and detectorists.
October 22, 2012 01:01PM
An analog CZ with a 1-100 meter...

Heck an F5 with CZ depth would be a world beater also....
October 22, 2012 01:02PM
XP DEUS w/ F75SE Depth
October 22, 2012 05:12PM
gman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CZ with DD coils.
Love to see this.
October 22, 2012 10:30PM
CZ w/no Iron Falsing!

Wireless Headphones
October 22, 2012 11:51PM
Wow, so far some great ideas.
I particularly like Dan's F5 deep model.
Had a 3300 years back and always wanted a super one, then FT made the F5 except they
didn't make it in a flagship model.

I do wonder if anyone from the brands ever monitor this website and if
any of them really care what enthusiasts want.
October 23, 2012 12:16AM
f75 se with the stability of a tek g2

a tek g2 with the depth and sensitivity of a goldbug II

A WATERPROOF/ SALT CAPABLE............G2, F75,

a aquastar II...........IN MY POSSESION.
October 23, 2012 04:49PM
Thanks for the replies. You often hear the reasons why a person doesn't like a particular detector. I thought it might be interesting to see what improvements people would like to detectors they DO like. Good question Steve, who knows who might stop by and see what the users think and want. If anyone were looking for ideas, they couldn't find a better forum for it!
October 23, 2012 05:03PM
I think even more so than more depth for the DEUS, I would rather have a 5" inch coil, even though Andy Sabbish told me its not going to happen.
October 23, 2012 06:07PM
I would like to see an G2 with added feautures..

1- Iron tone volume control...
2- Boosted to the F75 S.E. power level...E.M.I free is a must have even when using boost....19kHz should allow it...
3- Dual disc range..Meaning have iron only disc range iron to foil..The have disc range 2...foil on up...Or segment disc to the tenth's for the first 40 point's...
4- Better battery life...maybe 6-AA's or 4-AA's..Keep batterys in control housing.. I like the idea of everything inside the same case...
5- Frequency switch...And it's doable ..7.8kHz and 19 KHz...The omega can already use the G2 coils and Vice versa..So it ought to be easy to combine frequecy switch...
6- Backlight for adjustments in the low light condition's..
7- Better weather resisitance...Sealed housing...Military spec coil connector like the GMP uses..
8- Offer a mini version of the Bi-Axial...4x6
9- Keep it below $1,000.00...

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2012 06:11PM by Keith Southern.
October 23, 2012 06:20PM
Omega 8000 - More depth (Bring it up to E-Trac depth, it is very close in my ground.) Give it the power of an F75 and you will have something incredibly fast and deep.
E-Trac - Lighter (Are you yet listening Minelab?)
CZ - DD coil - I have a bit of iron here. Never used a CZ but am attracted to it due to the performance I get from FBS units in my ground.
CTX - Make it lighter (and more portable - it is a bit bulky).
Nautilus IIb - Add a meter to it as then it would be a better coin machine - Nautilus IIIc - c for coin. (I would want the version with the lower frequency, around 7kHz)

Albert
October 24, 2012 12:45PM
A waterproof detector that can tell the difference between Gold and Pulltabs/aluminum/foil.
October 24, 2012 01:52PM
norwoodj......perhaps a land unit that is weather resistant that could cut down the odds gold jewelry versus the junk that mimics it.

Best one with audio variances I have ever used were old tesoros...VCO of some of the new ones killed the audio variances and sizing abilities.

As far as water units on beaches and in the water one digs all lest he miss some nice gold jewelry....
October 24, 2012 08:16PM
AT Pro with iron audio volume control, better ergonomics, ability to turn down volume of targets at different depths, the depth of F-75 with the Pro's resistence to emi.

Dalpal
October 25, 2012 02:29PM
Fisher F5. - I have some changes I would like to see....

First....In the four tone audio mode I would like the ability to move the nickel tone around to where ever I want it. Currently it is 10 digits wide and starts with a TID of 25. Keep the 10 digit width of the tonal range but allow me the ability to choose it's starting point TID number. Let it default to 25 but allow the user to move the starting point to 22, or 45, or where ever. To control it, turn the frequency touch pad into the controller when the 4 tone audio mode is selected.

Second.... make the Threshold +9 audio boost with limiter feature that we enter into by turning the threshold hard into the dial stop a "click" into feature so that it is no accident or I have to repeatedly turn the dial to get into it. In a nut shell, it allows you to use the weak target audio boost feature in a place where EMI normally would not let you use it. My concern is that I’m going to damage my threshold pot when I have trouble getting into it. Let me "click" into that power on purpose, not repeatedly hunt for it hoping I hit it just right to enter into it. Metal detecting with that feature working is so much more enjoyable when EMI is present that doesn’t let me look for the tiniest of signals.

Third.... make a Cleansweep/Bigfoot size assessory coil for it.

Those changes would make me about the happiest detectorist around. smiling smiley

HH
Mike
October 25, 2012 02:56PM
This thread should be re-titled "10 changes to your favorite machine", then we'd really see some good comments.
October 25, 2012 02:56PM
Mike I guess mineralization and unit in hand can cause differences....but in my neck of the woods a steady VDI 0f 29-30......its a nickle.....28 and below its foil and 31 and above its a tab. We all understand anyone of these reading could also be a gold ring of course..

I truly understand what you mean relative the threshold and depth abilities but usually use mine for parks for clad and gold rings and around 0 usually gives me depth I need with virtually no EMI...if after the deep stuff just grab my CZ but indeed using your method with the F5 does give good depth....and certainly a concern rel the longevity of that control.

Using the original Whites bigfoot I can understand you wanting a like unit for the F5.

Certainly good advice from an F5 Guru and if you see a post from Mike Hillis(read it) as he is a wealth of info on this unit.....
October 25, 2012 04:50PM
I would like a unit that caused world peace when ever I was using it and therefore all governments would invite me to hunt any where I liked. It would also effect merriages the same and so I would be allowed to hunt all private property as well. It also NEVER missed a target or failed to correctly ID target and depth. Is that too much to ask? And just to be clear No one else get one. When I die (if its from old age and natural causes) you can bid for it in ebay profits going to my dear widow who finally appreciated my hobby.
Now for my other 2 wishes...

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
October 26, 2012 04:49AM
Many manufacturers tend to offer MOTION all metal mode nowadays, probably to give digital TID in AM.

I want the no motion AM mode back ! And of course, MANUALLY ground balanced.

That is sufficient to unmask goodies hidden in nail carpets.

HH

JIm'
October 26, 2012 02:17PM
Sovereign with f-75 speed,and iron grunt. Lighten it up to while your at it.
October 27, 2012 05:09PM
For my prior QXTs- A VDI # to split hairs when say nickel or ring hunting better, and larger coil options in a DD (such as a 12x10) to push depths further and also separate left/right better. Looks like this might be a possibility with the new dongles to put Fisher compatible coils on the low freq Whites line. Really hoping that dongle tunes the coils to the machine for as good of performance as the detector they were originaly intended for. Fisher compatible SEF 12x10 might be a killer weapon on a low freq. Whites in my mineralized soils.

For the Sovereign, a meter mount that is raised on the shaft so you can see the stupid thing, and the option to mount it right on top of the grip. They can easily be done with some home made mods but you shouldn't have to do that. Also would have seen a remote PP plug in switch that clamps on the handle right from the factory, although once again it was an easy enough mod to do. Don't ship the machine with a heavy shaft built for the military or something. Once again easy to fix and drop a ton of weight. Of course all this is a mute point now that they've canned the Sovereign.

For the Excalibur, remote PP switch, straight shaft with the POD behind the elbow, and coil/headphone connectors. Other than that, I'd love to see them throw a waterproof meter on it so it's now the perfect land or water machine as a dual purpose AT Pro style detector. Bet it would sell like hot cakes if the price was around $1000.

For the 6000 Pro XL- Tone alerts and a digital VDI for faster (no needle lag) response when working heavy trash. Again, a machine that was almost a perfect 10 in my book, like the QXT was, if they would have done such things. And also larger DD coils for it as well, which once again might be a reality with that dongle.

Tesoro? A Bandido II Umax, yet with tone alerts and a VDI. Now we are talking! But I'd also like to see a low freq unit offered in that configuration, or perhaps the ability to switch between the higher freq it comes with and a much lower one. In my soil single freq detectors above about 8khz suffer in both stability and depth. I think it'd be a killer option to be able to flip to a low freq for heavy minerals and also for deep silver/copper coins, and then back to a higher one for better fine gold sensitivity when switching gears to do that.

Oh, one more Sovereign one- Ability to zero out the iron rejection. I always was one to hunt by ear and listen to the iron to map a site out in my head. Took me a long time to get used to iron nulling on it. Mind you I don't fear masking targets with Iron Mask, as in fact I feel it pulls coins out of iron better than even machines where I could zero out iron rejection. I also feel unmasking is more dependent on how sharp the coil field is, because you can't see what a coil can't see separately. For that reason recovery speed is not a major issue to me. I like working a machine slow anyway at "dead" sites to sniff out the stuff left behind, and you just can't do that on a machine designed to be a fast sweep/recovery unit which is trying to reset on you when you want to take a good hard look at something deep for instance.