Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Scoop for the beach

Posted by kickback 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Scoop for the beach
November 14, 2007 07:38AM
Tom What scoop did you use for hunting micro jewelry at the beach? I want to find one with the finer mesh you talked about in your Fisher Intellegence article.Thanks Bill
Re: Scoop for the beach
November 15, 2007 01:04AM
It's actually a plastic kids toy sifter that comes in a 12 toys-in-one kit. The sifter is approx 7" in diameter..... and nearly 1" deep. The holes are slightly larger than a salt shaker. Absolutely critical sifter for micro-jewelry Gold Bug II hunting. Try the volleyball net locations!

Tom
November 15, 2007 02:34AM
If you are going to detect at Coco beach in Fla I suggest you take a standard beach scoop and drill the holes out to 2 inches in diameter. You will be able to sift the sand at a very high rate.....if you miss any small items I will let you know if I find them with my scoop when I go down in December...I will be using the tiny hole size!!!! On the serious side there are several ways to do it. Seedboro grain equiptment makes several sizes of small hole aluminum seives for grain work that would work if you need a large pan to sift with. Toms toy sifter sounds good also.

Brad
November 15, 2007 11:31PM
It is a MUST that the sifter be NON-metallic.
November 21, 2007 08:36PM
Found one place on internet that sold the round plastic pans with the small holes for $2.99 each, but they are on backorder. I know there are some other sets out there that have those in them, but would be nice just to get the pan separate. Also wondered why a classifiying seive would not work even though it has a wire mesh. If the sand is scooped up with a solid scoop in the area of detection and then poured through the seive. If most jewelry is not going to be detected over 4 inches deep with Gold Bug 2 (assuming it is micro) it seems the solid scoop method going to the seive would work. I know you could scoop into a plastic solid tray, scan for signal, then go into seive. What do you think?

Brad
November 21, 2007 11:37PM
Plastic (all non-metallic) scoop is critical.... as you will discover the need to pass the sifter over the coil... as you shake. Some targets are so tiny (and may also be the same color as the sand) that... the only way you will know that you still have the target captivated.... is to pass the sifter over the coil.