Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My first live hunt video

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My first live hunt video
February 18, 2013 05:33AM
This vid of todays hunt (Subday 2/17/13). Please don't expect much in the way of listening to tones. To be honest, the vids I like best have tone sounds and shows the live dig. When I get my articulating arm in the mail, I can mount my camera to my detector and capture tones and live digs. This was an experiment and a learning exercise to learn how to group clips together and post them to you tube. Next time, I'll try to get improving my skills and make these vids beneficial to others just like other's vids have been beneficial to me. I want to give special thanks to 'wjs' for walking me through it. He's a great guy and a primo detectorists and an asset to this noble hobby. Remember, I am warning ya ahead of time that the vid is lame so don't say I didn't warn ya. Enjoy! lol
[www.youtube.com]
Re: My first live hunt video
February 18, 2013 06:28AM
Kevin... I think you did just fine for a first video attempt. The camera was steady, and focused on the holes and your retrievals, your voice was clear. In the future maybe slow down your talk just a bit. That is not a criticism... I hate to think how my first videos will turn out. But I'm going to try it in prospecting country, attempt to describe site selection, the soil conditions, detector settings, how I evaluate signals, and hopefully find something worthwhile on camera. Overall very well done Kevin... looking forward to more. Many thanks...

Jim.
February 18, 2013 06:39AM
Nice video Kevin...

Nice pocket watch innards....

Keith
February 18, 2013 11:48AM
Nice first video Kevin. Clear picture, focus, and sound. Looking forward to future videos...Stuart
February 18, 2013 12:00PM
Nice video Kevin, Do you still have the vista gold ?
February 18, 2013 01:21PM
Nice Video. For your first one I think you did great.
February 18, 2013 01:38PM
Good job dude. Dont change a thing....its refreshing!.
February 18, 2013 03:22PM
Thanks guys...SO much. And I WILL slow my talking down. Thyat is my natural talk speed when I am excited or doind something that I love so it will be a major chore for me to be mindful of it. But I certainly will try.
No I don't still have my Vista Gold. The Vista Gold was everything Keith said it was....EVERYTHING!!! Deep, good separating. etc etc/ keith also said: "It's not for everyone." But sometimes I gotta try the new machine on the block because life gets boring and, well, there is nothing like WAITING. Well, I like SOME waiting, not ALOT of waiting. Anyway, I took the Vista Gold to a very trashy area, and found some guts to a pocket watch but is was a gear the size of a quawter. I hunted with it for about 30 minutes and had to get back home. The main qualm for me, was the lack of a numbering VDI screen. I may very well get another when I am ready to try learning tones. But right now, I must stick with what I already know. So I am down to a Fisher Gold Bug Pro w/ 11 inch and 10 inch coils (I actually have an awesome history with this machine, but in the form of a Tek G2. It is so quiet at 100% gain. I found a war nickel with it at the same trashy spot with the 10 inch coil). I also have the XP Deus with both coils. If stuff gets any deeper in the yards I dig in, and usually the hard pan will slow their sink rate probably, then I will need another digger AND another machine. But right now, I have the two machines that have been instrumental in filling up the majority of my plaques. I even have stuff that NEEDS to be plaqued but are waiting around in paper plates awaiting their final resting place. This Fisher Gold Bug Pro is very deep on bullets and buttons and nickels and Indian heads. And I am quite fond of the VCO high tone. Meaning that the deeper a target is, the lower pitched, and the lower volume. And it is as light weight as they come. Thanks again for your favorable reviews!!! My next vid should be on some virgin ground in a historical area in the country. I just recieved permission last Friday nite, while eating, from a farmer with alot of land and some very interesting old foundations and piles of chimney rock. Maybe I will find my first Large Cent there. It would also have potential for gold coinage.
The place where the vid was shot yesterday was talking distance, but across the street, from where I found the gold dollar last summer. I am not through there. But pickings are getting harder to find.
February 18, 2013 03:49PM
Great job on the video looked good to me.The biggest thing that affects some videos is wind noise so you cant hear what the person is saying
February 18, 2013 04:21PM
Very good! I would say that maybe you want to produce some kind of intro that is the same for all videos so that more time is spent on the actual digs but overall the video was way better than the crap I make LOL!

Pinpoint twice, dig once
February 18, 2013 04:29PM
Some ideas:

The best videos are the one's that are demonstrating/teaching some concept, comparison, or detecting skill. There are many videos of people digging, and digging, and digging. If you can narrate how the machine reads, explain what you think is under the ground, its depth, and then dig it out, then the video has added value. I'd still truncate the digging, and get to the recovery. People are impatient. It's nice also in post-editing to show the target all cleaned up. I also get impatient watching intros with long titles and spinning fonts and someone's obnoxiously loud intro music. Want to lose an audience - play music. I say skip the theatrics and get to the point fast.

Interesting videos will also describe the history of the site they are hunting (as they hunt - got to keep it moving) and the targets they are expecting to find. A video has to teach, encourage, communicate something of value - or it is going to be boring to watch.

The biggest mistakes made, I think, are videos with no point - the beep 'n dig videos are fine but they lack the value they could have if the educated too. Minute long periods of hole digging and hacking at the ground will drive people away. Other problems areas: those featuring long intros with the detectorist explaining what is going to happen - yikes - just do it. No talking about something without doing. The video needs to start immediately with some action, something happening. Also disturbing are videos with harsh wind noise or shaky camera work. How many videos have the detectorist finding a coin and then moving it up to the lens like they are going to push it through the camera. It is a good idea to know the focal point of the camera. The viewer just sees an out of focus blur. The other camera mistake is the off-center shot with all the 'happenings' a few feet off camera; you get to watch the grass blow or someone's boot. Just some ideas for you.

So, the well designed videos keep the action moving, keep the dialog informative, keep the camera focused, have dialog explaining what is happening with the detector (setting, signals), predict outcomes (based on the detector's readings), and when finished you should have learned something, been entertained, or been motivated. The worst do none of these.
February 18, 2013 05:02PM
That is good feedback I can get my teeth in!!!! Thanks!!!!!
February 18, 2013 05:33PM
Hey Kevin...good video. You are definitely on the right track. I also love your accent...reminds me of some relatives in Virginia.

I, and probably a lot of others, would also enjoy a tour of some of your more interesting finds ... gold dollar etc.

Regards, Joe
February 18, 2013 05:50PM
Thanks for posting the video Kevin, good job.
February 18, 2013 08:23PM
Great 1st vid Kevin - looking forward to many more from you ;-)

If the snow/frozen ground ever goes away here in Michigan - I'll be making a few vids myself to post on here too!

HH
February 19, 2013 12:59AM
Good job on your first vid. Those small washers will get ya all the time LOL.
February 19, 2013 01:34AM
I appreciate it guys!!!!
February 19, 2013 01:37AM
Thank you Kevin for that great video, I am looking forward to more!!!
February 19, 2013 02:17PM
Thanks, Hungarian!!!!! I appreciate it.