Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ3D Nickel performance.

Posted by Leo234 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ3D Nickel performance.
September 08, 2009 12:22AM
I purchased a used CZ3D with a very low 1021 serial number to back up my
F-75. Tom felt like since the serial number was so low it should be a good one. The CZ easily passed the depth test by getting a weak but repeatable high tone signal on a dime at 10-11 inches. However, when I randomly pulled 20 nickles from my 2009 stash every single one of them ID's as a pulltab when air-testing in the enhanced mode. To make things more interesting only three of the nickels would correctly Id as a nickel in the "salt" mode. I would like to point out that all the nickels I used for the test had been tumbled in a rock tumbler to remove the corrosion. I always tumble my clad coinage before putting it away in my stash.

Just out of curiosity, I went to the family piggy bank and pulled out 20 new shiny nickels and waved each one in front of the coil in "salt" mode. Much to my surprise every single one of them gave the correct ID. Therefore, it appears that tumbling nickels must have some sort of effect on the CZ's ability to give the correct ID.

I would very much like to hear an opinion from members of this forum whom I consider to be the best of the best.

Thanks,
Leop

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2009 12:23AM by Leo234.
Re: CZ3D Nickel performance.
September 10, 2009 04:52AM
My CZ3D would only ID nickels correctly in the salt mode.In "Enhanced" I would get a foil to nickle bounce on nickles sometimes.I unfortunately sold my CZ3D in a weak momment.Bill
September 21, 2009 05:29PM
Just a quick update to my original post. I sent the CZ3D to Tom and sure enough my 3D's nickel window was out-of-cal. Tom re-calibrated the Nickel window and fixed a few other minor anomalies. The 3D has since been returned as is now functioning as per Tom's original design intent which is correctly ID'ing older nickels/coins in the real world dirt matrix. The first time out with the freshly calibrated machine the 3D correctly ID's five deep nickels that had been masquerading as pull-tabs. The area I hunted was a small school yard that is close to home that I have very carefully hunted with my F-75 and two other F-70's. In just over two hours I found 5 nickels, two silver dimes, five wheats, two zinc cents and a clad dime that had been passed over. Looks like the 10" spider coil for the CZ will be my Christmas present this year.

Leo
September 21, 2009 10:36PM
You'll be surprised at the extra perf. of the 10.5" coil. It has a good 'wrap-around' effect....and goes a bit deeper.....AND..can give better ID at depth. Sometimes it can be a nightmare to use in some places.... especially if excessively trashy.
Test many nickels with the 8" coil.....and find a handful that fail to ID correctly. THEN....with the new 10.5" coil.....use these exact same 'failed' nickels.....and see how they ID. The more it 'mimics' the 8" coil..... the better the imped. of the 10.5" coil.