Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

newbie + F75 on it's way

Posted by romanko 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
newbie + F75 on it's way
September 24, 2009 05:49PM
So glad I found this forum. I'll keep it short - basically I've rediscovered this great hobby after many years, I do have a cheap very low end detector that I've played around with now and then, but not that I've a little disposable income I've decided to go all in.

Just bought a second-hand F75, the 6 and 10in concentric coils, and some accessories. Until it gets here (southern Ontario) I'm devouring as much info as I can, hope to do a little hunting before winter hits. Plan to do some freshwater white-sand beach hunting, general coinshooting, and occasionally relic hunting.

Here's a couple of questions for all you masters:
1. been reading alot about the EMI issues with the F75, do I need to be concerned?
2. service - is the warranty transferable? honored in Canada?
3. should I get a pinpointer, heard that the Garrett pro-pointer is good, or would something else go better with the F75?
4. have a heavy duty water scoop and competition basket on the way, but I need a digger,probe? what do you guys recommend?

thanks again, and now that I know what HH stands for, happy hunting!!
Re: newbie + F75 on it's way
September 24, 2009 08:59PM
1. Yes, but not TOO much. Run your Sens around '70' and Disc '6'....and use the F1-F7 freq change to mitigate some of the 'potential' EMI.

2. I don't believe the warranty is X-ferable.

3. Personal pref.

4. Digger. I've seen too many good targets ruined with a probe. I use a Wal-Mart/Sears/Lowe's/Ace Hardware small camp/garden shovel w/lifetime warranty. Usually they are under $10 USD.

Welcome.......and start out w/tame settings on the F75 at first.

Tom
September 24, 2009 09:14PM
romanko on the pinpointer topic - I've been running Sunrays on most of my machines, but have also used the Centec and TinyTecs. The Sunray seems to work the best on Minelab machines (Explorer and Sovereign), but to be honest I'm not so thrilled with them on my Fishers (have one for my Coinstrike, ID Edge, F70 and Sovereign). Although you do get the benefit of using the detectors TID and/or tones with the Sunray, I also find that many times it chases ghost signals (probably small pieces of iron or mineralization) and that it doesn't as a rule of thumb have very good depth (YMMV).

I recently picked up a Garrett Propointer, and I'll now be selling all my other pinpointers, it's that good.

First it's a non-motion pinpointer (the Sunray is a motion only), which I actually find to be a big advantage as there's times when your between roots and such where it's difficult to move the Sunray around. Second it has both sound and vibration which get more intense as you get closer to the target. Third it has a small white LED light for night hunting. Fourth it has thus far typically had far better depth then the Sunrays on my Fishers and Sovereign, and does a better job picking out the targets vs the ghost signals I tend to get with the SUnrays. Interestingly the SUnrays may get better depth in an air test but not so much so in ground.

Another great benefit is that you only need one pinpointer for all your machines.

Personally I don't believe TID is that benificial on a pinpointer, as you already have it from your machine and your simply trying to locate the target. I gave it a good workout on my last 5-6 hunts and have found my target recovery to be much faster with the Garrett.

I also considered the DetectorPro Pulse Induction PistolPro pinpointer, but found it was way too bulky (also looks a bit like a gun) and it causes a lot of interference with the detectors. No doubt about it that it gets the best depth of any unit out there, but it wasn't for me.

Welcome to the Fisher world!
Brian
Brian, something to be aware of with the Pro Pointer
September 24, 2009 09:59PM
This is based on my observing this in the field and then checking all the 75's/70's and T-2's I could get my hands on with 4 different Pro Pointers It's pretty critical where you carry the Pro Pointer relative to the search coil. Of course the detector settings will affect the amount of the interference. Try this and tell me what you see. Turn on your 70 and tune it to hunt. Now take the Pro Pointer (with it OFF) and see how the detector responds to it and at what distance. There's obviously a huge audible report (especially in AM) even if the probe is three feet from the coil. I can ALMOST get rid of all the audible interference from the probe if I carry it back at my 6:00 but I gotta wonder if there isn't some inaudible interference too?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2009 11:02PM by BuckeyeBrad.
September 24, 2009 11:14PM
I've only used the Propointer with my F70 & CZ70, and never got a lick of interference. I did a bit of relic hunting with my F70 in AM using the ProPointer and didn't notice any extra noise. I carry the pinpointer in the 7-8 o'clock position of my belt (only turning it on when recovering a target) and swing my detector with my right hand, but even when probing for my targets with it close to the detector I didn't notice any interference.

I'm really impressed with how well the probe works to be honest.
It's not a problem when the probe is on.
September 25, 2009 12:02AM
It can be pretty subtle and might show up as end of swing noise on the left side if that's where you carry your probe. If you would, try what I asked with your F-70/ProPointer. Turn on the detector and with the PP OFF, wave it back and forth over the coil. Listen in disc 0 and AM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2009 12:18AM by BuckeyeBrad.
Re: It's not a problem when the probe is on.
September 25, 2009 12:16AM
Well I just bought a pro-pointer, when it comes in I'll try wearing in the back, thanks for the advice!
Re: It's not a problem when the probe is on.
September 25, 2009 12:27AM
Don't hear me as saying the Pro Pointer is bad. It's my favorite too but it just has this thing it does with the high freq FT detectors and I think it's good to be aware of that. I also like the Uni-Probe and Pistol Probe but since both of those are pulse, they are pretty weak on the small stuff like buck balls, real small thin cuff flat buttons, etc.
September 25, 2009 02:28AM
Get the uniprobe hands down PI deep like a surgens knife in the right hands...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
September 25, 2009 04:59PM
thanks to all the responses, can't wait to get my machine out into the field! smiling smiley

1 more question, what in your opinions would be a good backup machine to complement a F75, and also be good for the girlfriend - something easy to use, but not low-end so that I'm finding gold and all she gets is pull-tabs smiling smiley
Romanko....I'd recommend an...
September 25, 2009 06:25PM
Tek Omega and grab an 11" DD to go with it if you can. The Gamma and 11" DD would work too! Either is fine with their respective stock coils but the 11" DD really ups the ante!
September 25, 2009 06:39PM
great I'll look at that one, another machine I was thinking of was the Mhites M6? any thoughts on that one?
September 25, 2009 07:15PM
I've had a couple MXT's (same platform as the M-6) and it's a nice detector but I wasn't happy with its high conductor performance. JMO and I don't know if that's been tweaked on th M-6 or not.
Jeb
September 26, 2009 08:42AM
You chose well, but put some tape around the arm cup adjustment holes if your going to search in water, as water can enter your battery box through those holes if you lift the coil in the air and the water runs down the stem .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2009 08:50AM by Jeb.