Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

2 hrs at school/woods - AT Pro - New 5x8 DD coil Test - CORRECTION!

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
2 hrs at school/woods - AT Pro - New 5x8 DD coil Test - CORRECTION!
April 15, 2013 01:40AM
Nothing to write home about today (as for finds). Correction!

See the little 5 point star thing on the bottom left? It's a copper "pin" that looks to be 1800s and possibly Military! It has a circle in the center with an "I" in the center of the circle and it has some embossment on the edges of the points - - at 1st I thought it was just some 1950s schoolgirl earring or the like but upon closer inspection I found the above as stated (Keith - any ideas!?)... I'll get out the digital cam tomorrow afternoon and take a macro shot and repost it so you'all can see what I'm talking about but I do believe it's some sort of military hat pin? from the civil war era (or at latest - WWI)...

Today was a short 2 hr hunt at a 1950s school with adjoining woods just to test the 5x8 coil out on the AT Pro to see how it performs.

I've had the machine for 2.5 yrs but just got the small 5x8 DD coil so I had to test it where I knew there'd be a lot of junk/etc.

Total coins = 46 with 2 being 1940 something wheat pennies (was hoping for a piece of silver too) but that didn't happen!

Found the usual as you can see - small buttons, junk jewelry, zippers, a broken square nail (which leads me to believe the site is older than the school sitting there now), a couple of cars, yada yada yada

Evaluation:

Separation in iron/junk was excellent - some of the targets were rgt next to and even mixed in junk but the coil picked them out with no problem

Depth was impressive for such a small coil - 1 of the quarters was 8 inches deep as was one of the nickels - there was no problem in hearing the distinct sound/tone of the deeper targets although they were softer/more faint than shallow targets by far (as one would suspect). 1 of the dimes was found at approx. 7 inches with no problem. I believe it would hit them (dimes) even deeper. The wheats were deep and bounced a bit with mixed tone = high/mid.

Lightens the swing load of the machine Seems stable while running wide open. Pinpoints very well.

Overall performance in my opinion = a great coil for the $$ and worth having in the toolbox for trashy site work. I'll be taking it to the "hunted out" park next trip out to see if I can pick another Injun or 2 from the trash and possibly another silver Barber!

9.5 score on a scale from 1 - 10 :-)

HH all

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2013 03:52AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
Re: 2 hrs at school/woods - AT Pro - New 5x8 DD coil Test
April 15, 2013 03:47AM
Hi, looks to be a good hunt....lots of loot with some trinkets to boot.........JJ
Re: 2 hrs at school/woods - AT Pro - New 5x8 DD coil Test - CORRECTION!
April 15, 2013 04:12AM
Great,.. Nice Finds.

Looking forward to seeing your updates on this Thread... I'm looking at getting one ASAP and am really interested in seeing how you continue to do with yours..

Cheers,
April 15, 2013 05:18AM
Very good post, quite a variety of goodies, and your evaluation is much appreciated. That coil looks like a winner... good reviews abound. Thanks...

Jim.
April 15, 2013 03:43PM
Nice hunt. I hear the 5x8 coil is a must have.