Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Abandoned FarmHouse Digs - GBP and E-Trac

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Abandoned FarmHouse Digs - GBP and E-Trac
June 03, 2013 03:13AM
Hey all,

hunted an abandoned farmhouse on the far backside of a dump sitting on a 1 mile square property - it's like 30 miles north of me where I once hunted another house on the property with a buddy back 10 yrs ago or so. Back then this place had someone living in it but upon arriving it was obvious that it was sold to the dump some time ago and just abandoned so I figured I'd give it a go!

Took the Gold Bug Pro and the E-Trac with me today... The ML scored all of the silver pieces, most of the change, and 1 of the round copper pieces, and the GBP hit on the iron & other relics as well as a few coins.

Found a good and wide variety of artifacts today including a sterling silver ring, a barber dime (6th one this yr so far) and a canadian 1/4 from 1872 - - - also found some sort of German Eagle swastika military pin/badge but it's missing one of the wings (looked all over for the other wing but no luck??). Got a makeup case/lid from the 1910s/20s from the looks of it --- some sort of lid/cap (squashed) but has a pat. date of 1879 and it must have went to something with an expiration as it also says "From June 5 1882 to Sep. 12 1885 --- a brass buckle (style of a scouts buckle) but has an "M" on it?? Don't know what the 2 iron things are - a cigg lighter case, some doodads, and a pile of clad - - - all in all it was a GOOD hunt!

Hope you'all got out this weekend too,

HH

Re: Abandoned FarmHouse Digs - GBP and E-Trac
June 03, 2013 04:19AM
Very nice digs!! The nazi pin is interesting, hopefully someone here has the story on it.
June 03, 2013 04:49AM
Nice dig's...

Like the Nazi pin...

probably has a heck of a story to tell if we Knew what it was!

Keith
June 03, 2013 01:40PM
Digger Dan on youtube shows one just like that. Only not broken. He lives in German. He may be able to add some info for the Nazi pin.

Tom in SC
jrk
June 03, 2013 04:53PM
Incredible!
June 04, 2013 01:30AM
Super hunt. Too bad they all can't be that good. Love the 1/4.
June 04, 2013 03:35AM
Nice hunt.
June 04, 2013 07:57PM
Sweet hunt!!! WTG!!
June 04, 2013 10:40PM
That's a great hunt! LOVE that Canadian quarter!!! Amazing how two entirely different detectors can compliment each other so well winking smiley I'm sure there's a LOT more waiting to be found at that spot smiling smiley
June 04, 2013 11:01PM
Great finds!
June 05, 2013 04:00AM
Thanks for all the praise guys... Several have mentioned the Canadian 1/4 - I like that one too ;-) I also like the German/Nazi pin even though it's missing the wing :-(

I'm still learning the E-Trac - it's a strange beast after being mainly a Garrett & Fisher/cz guy since way back and it definitely has a long learning curve to master --- the only other ML I've ever owned was an Ex-cal 1000 like 8 yrs ago for a summer and I didn't like it so I sold it... After about 1 month and like 10 hunts with this thing now, I'm just now stepping outside of the "coins mode" using the screen wide open with 4TF - auto sens (as it's more stable) and tweaking it a bit here & there as I go...

I'd like to find a program/mode I can download set to reject nails only as I haven't even started to figure out how to do the blocking thing yet! There's so much to this machine that it's overwhelming and the blocking thing looks like it will take forever to learn/do! WHY doesn't ML just have a website to download any/all setups/programs you want!?

I know once you make a few custom modes/programs and save them - it's worth it but it's the getting to that point after trying to learn just the basics that's killin me here!

One thing I will say beyond being a deep seeking machine is that the little target thing that floats around the screen from top to bottom & left to right is much more accurate than the "numbers" --- the tones combined with that little target box is how I hunt with it more so that anything else - the numbers are only good up to like 5 or so inches - after that they start to jump too much but that little target icon thing doesn't lie (combined with tones)! Another trick I found is when pinpointing ---- if a target is jumping from good to bad on the screen and the tones are a bit mixed --- I check to see how deep it is with the pinpoint button (the screen depth gauge lies!) but the deeper the target - the lower the tone the machine gives off while pinpointing and that's when you know to dig no matter what the screen says or how mixed the tones are --- that's how I found that Canadian quarter - the #'s were jumping all over, the target icon was jumping from upper rgt to lower rgt and from upper middle to lower middle and it was making 2 different tones but when I checked it with the pinpoint button - I knew it was deep by the lower/softer sound and so I dug about 9/10 inches (sandy/loamy mix of soil) and out it popped ;-)

Anyone with a program/mode set for nail reject that they can offer for me to download?? It would be greatly appreciated and save me a headache for sure! (I'll learn the blocking thing later)!

HH all

MRH