Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What happened to Kevin B?

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What happened to Kevin B?
July 17, 2013 11:49PM
Have not heard a peep out of Him lately..

Keith
Re: What happened to Kevin B?
July 18, 2013 12:11AM
He may have to focus all his attention on his mom. Hope he can still get out once in a while, to at least relax and clear his head. Funny dude, sure miss him here!
July 18, 2013 01:24AM
Last I seen/heard of him he made that video with his new cam & the new cam mount for his detector.
July 18, 2013 09:01AM
I believe he got burnt out/frustrated and was stopping for a while, if remembering, from his last posts. He was a funny, likeable dude. I wonder what hobby he's burning through right now.
July 18, 2013 11:17AM
Ive got a hunting buddy whose hunted with me now a couple of years. This years finds or lack there of has been a discouragement so he took a break too. If you take it to serious and put in a lot of hours with just ok results it can be stressful..... its not a competition just relax and treat it like a hobby not a job.

Dew
July 18, 2013 01:15PM
For burnouts time to travel to new locations as can be a shot in the arm rel staying in hobby..as far as physical problems sometimes taking a break can lessen the down time and speed up the healing....multiple hobbies are also a plus...
July 18, 2013 02:02PM
The last I remember, he had sold his detectors, but a friend of his was letting him borrow one of their machines when he took the notion to want to go some place. The main thing was that he had a REALLY awesome run of good finds one right after the other...several nice buttons, a martingale, and that gold coin, just to name a few. Then when that site begin to dry up, he started trying to find a detector to make it like new again...and went through a bunch, but none of them made it like new. He was gonna take a break from it for a while, until some newer machines came out, and maybe work on finding some new sites. He is for sure in a good area. I just finished reading a book by a soldier in the 61st Illinois that for most of his unit's service in the War, his unit was stationed in the vicinity of where Kevin lives. I thought of Kevin as I was reading the book, when the soldier was describing the landmarks and towns he visited during the war.
July 18, 2013 02:04PM
I think I saw him on the Naked Castaway show?
July 18, 2013 02:36PM
He posted on a religious chat forum a few weeks ago, so he's just got other interests at the moment?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2013 04:07PM by Pimento.
July 18, 2013 02:58PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The last I remember, he had sold his detectors,
> but a friend of his was letting him borrow one of
> their machines when he took the notion to want to
> go some place. The main thing was that he had a
> REALLY awesome run of good finds one right after
> the other...several nice buttons, a martingale,
> and that gold coin, just to name a few. Then when
> that site begin to dry up, he started trying to
> find a detector to make it like new again...and
> went through a bunch, but none of them made it
> like new. He was gonna take a break from it for a
> while, until some newer machines came out, and
> maybe work on finding some new sites. He is for
> sure in a good area. I just finished reading a
> book by a soldier in the 61st Illinois that for
> most of his unit's service in the War, his unit
> was stationed in the vicinity of where Kevin
> lives. I thought of Kevin as I was reading the
> book, when the soldier was describing the
> landmarks and towns he visited during the war.

Wow!!!! What the title of the book????? I need something to fire me back up.
And thanks for eveyone's nice comments. After I sold that AT Pro package for a good price.....I don't know.....I just quickly fizzled out after that. Won't go into any details why. But I am ready for fall. Still have my propointer. Predator shovel. A borrowed F5 (until Fisher decides to release a new unit.....IF fisher decides to release a new unit....I mean...no doubt that they have some type of proto type,.....but it may never make it to us. I am afraid that when it does....it will likely already be obsolete)
Never the less......there are more detectorists around here now, and I have already hit (pretty hard) the historical district. But they are getting hit again by others. Hope they find something I missed. I have told people lately, that I would hunt their place JUST to find the relic.....and that I would even give them the relic. Just to get to find it. I have several plaques of nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe my Tranter revolver bullets are pretty cool.....other than that...Union stuff.
I have really been participating in Airgun Field Target in Pulaski Tenn. It is a large world wide sport. The airguns that some use are worth several thousand bucks. But they are accurate. I have ran through ...neh...."burned through" quite a few myself, before the detecting bug bit me. But now I am back in it. Just a summary. I am still lurking. So please say nice things. LOL!!!!!!! I grew a huge garden!!!! A large patch of black oil sunflowers. Squirrels are tearing them up. Doves are already lighting between rows!!!!! I have turned my yard ito a wildlife preserve. I can hear Bobwhite quail in the distance. I hope that my efforts will draw them over, at least for a quick meal. I have left the fencerow to grow up where they can hide, and brood. I will make certain that birds of prey stay "chased off". Anyway, back to that book, Daniel. I suppose that I could put the info you provided into the Google search bar and maybe find it. Happy Hunting to all.
July 18, 2013 03:02PM
rapidroy7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think I saw him on the Naked Castaway show?

LOL!!!
July 18, 2013 03:08PM
Daniel, is it the story of Leander Stilwell?????? The life of a soldier? Or something like that?? If it is, I can get that book on my Kindle for free. I think that I might get it anyway. It mentions Bolivar, Bethel Springs, Owl Creek (I used to Duck Hunt in Owl Creek bottoms on Ray Blanton (ex governor) land that we flooded. Awesome migrations of ducks through the area back then. Wonderful memories.
July 18, 2013 03:10PM
Nothing wrong with that F5, great for coin shooting/small relics, just won't get much deeper 8" on coin size targets. I really enjoy the simplicity of its analog controls, and the tones are great(for my ears), I call it my fun machine. Just wish Fisher would kick the depth up a couple more inches. Glad your garden did well, I had one of my worst seasons, plus I had a big ol cotton tail that ravaged my green beans.
July 18, 2013 03:42PM
Like you I burned through some units. Including the Deus and CTX. Just wonderful detectors in my opinion. I don't think I was trying to make old sites new. I think I was trying to make any site produce. But hey I'm back to the AT Pro. I have an Excal for beach hunting. The problem is getting to the beach. Right now I'm pretty much out of commission. My back is pretty bad. I heard my lower back pop when I was weed whacking. My hands just opened and I dropped the weed whacker and fell to my knees. I have pulled muscles in my back before, but man did this one hurt. It's been a week. Too darn hot to hunt anyways. Hunting season starts for me when the leaves start falling. Sorry to steal the thread. But I just wanted you to know that I too have gone through the detectors and have settled on a nice lower priced unit. No shame in that at all. I'm glad you decided to stay in touch with the hobby and I'm really glad you are OK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2013 03:43PM by goodmore.
July 18, 2013 06:09PM
Kevin,... your war on detectors actually kept me insane through the longest winter I can remember!!

So we all kind off,........

well euhm,.....

I'm going to say it now,........

WE MISSED YA!!

Taking a break from a hobby,... who would have thought we needed it.
But sometimes it's more than true,.... my wife makes a mental note to frequently remind me of the fact.

Next week I'm on holiday, I promissed Her I wouldn't touch a detector in a whole week.

Oh boy,... what did I do??

Anyway, glad to hear you and the garden are enjoying the sun.
You'll need it when Fisher finally releases that new unit which makes the relics just jump out of the ground!!
Cheers.

HH
Johnb
July 18, 2013 06:50PM
Thanks Kevin you made me laugh with your reply, think we all could use a little laughter now -n- then! Boy do I open myself up with those kind of comments thanks again your a good sport, ALL the best rr7
July 18, 2013 07:12PM
Kevin... glad to see you're still with us. Always enjoyed your posts, insights, and terrific sense of humor. I haven't posted much here in a very long time, but always check in. Not much to add to discussions on relic / beach topics, strictly an autumn prospector here in Ontario. But I hold Tom Dankowski, Keith, Dan-Pa and many of the others here in high esteem. I naturally gravitate to these guys, many of us are at an age now where we've reached an understanding about life... and of course... this hobby. Moderation in all things... don't allow yourself to burn out Kevin... you worked hard to be a contributing member of this group... we all appreciate your inputs, and want you to stay active on this forum. All the very best...

Jim.
July 18, 2013 10:07PM
Kevin,

Yes that is the very book. I also got it for free on the Kindle and just finished it yesterday. It's a quick read; I started and finished it in two days. He doesn't see much battle action during the war, but I think you will gain quite a few prospects for sites, if you can locate where he describes...he is pretty good at doing that in the book. His biggest action/battle was Shiloh but most of the book is him telling of journeying the countryside where they were camped at, and telling of his sights/sounds of camps and towns during the period. Glad to see you post again.
July 19, 2013 12:08AM
*** I can hear Bobwhite quail in the distance. I hope that my efforts will draw them over, at least for a quick meal. ***

Yes indeed. They are delicious!
July 19, 2013 06:27AM
Glad your O.k.Kevin..

I was up in Tennesssee a few weeks ago on vacation and I thought about you...

I hunted a spot above Chattanooga..we were staying in a cabin and I hunted the from lawn...dug a couple of 3 ringers LOL!!!

Cabin was restored but built in the 1850's..

site had never been hunted it seemed,targets everywhere. and very old stuff to boot..

Keith
July 19, 2013 02:43PM
Thanks guys...SOOOO much. Arnold Schwarzenegger said it best: "I'll be bok!!!" Just a hiatus to let the mosquitos and chiggers breed and multiply and torment......but out of my presence. I still have to spray my ankles before i check on my garden or at our Field Target matches in Pulaski.
Daniel, thanks for the comments and suggestion for a good book. I downloaded it free (from Amazon) to my Kindle (cheapest version). I am now to the point where him and his company noticed, and were subsequently freaked out by.......mistletoe......as they chugged down Tennessee. He passed right by where I hunt and old homesite overlooking the river. I did actually go there about three weeks ago when the owner Facebooked me and told me that he just bush-hogged it...that I better get down there. I found a GEN-U-WINE wick holder for an old oil lamp. There is an OLD well there that has a huge brush pile right beside it. I found the Confedaerate drooped wind button about 5 yards from that brush pile. I messaged him back suggesting that I would finance it, and would sit and watch it, if he let me burn that brush pile to the ground. Never got a reply back. He's younger than me....and enjoys doing the "stuff" that almost took my life, and did actually RUIN my life .....or 25 years of it. His mother is who actually owns the land and first gave me permission. She is also the lady that arranged for me to speak at the Daughters of Confederate Veterans. So there are still plenty of untouched spots there. The big, brand new New Holland tractor that they bushhog with has a front end loader on the front. Man.....if I could just have 8 hours on that rig!!!!! WOW!!!!! I would peel off about 3 inches from the places I hunted to death, and that were productive (all the stuff was deep as it has ALL had a dozer over it...scattering stuff...ruining stuff. LOL) There is also a good, untouched place that has a HUGE hickory tree that fell on the lot. It's brushy remains cover about an eighth of an acre ...roughly. Just musing outloud here.
Thanks Keith Southern!!! For asking about me. Thanks RapidRoy for also enjoying some fun and innocent play. I enjoy that. And goodmore, I fully understand the back spasms that take ya to the ground. Guess when I had my last one?? When I bought my FIRST Etrac, I had the coil set out much too far. I mean, it was to the max. First few minutes of the first hunt. Down I went. I had to crawl to the truck. I had to leave the detector after I powered it down. I could not even drag it with me. I drug myslef to the truck, and up in it....and lay the seat back flat. Cars going to and fro. Not a soul stopped and asked about whether I was alright. It was plain that I was in agony. They would just stare. I got my composure back. Eased out, stooped down using only my legs, grabbed my Etrac,,,,and got in the truck and went straight to the Choir Practicor. He massaged it and popped by back and it gave SOME relief....not $40 worth....more like $5. LOL As y'all can see, I still can be wordy as ever and just don't know when to shut up. I reckon that I think I'm so important that everyone will want to know every little detail............a big LOL!!!!!! Anyway....love you guys. And I WILL be back. I almost have enough saved to get another nice unit. I may not wait for Fisher. Heck. I'd likely have time to buy another round of 20 or 30 units before they release that unit that is supposedly using a drastically different way of "looking at things" underground. Have an AWESOME.....and I DO mean AWESOME.....weekend. To my friends in the historic preservation dept......I bid you....adieu.
July 19, 2013 02:53PM
Heee's back!...........and in good form...lol.
July 20, 2013 06:10PM
Yep... and good to see...

Jim.
July 20, 2013 10:11PM
Thanks fellows. I really miss chatting with you guys. But an aggregate of maudlin sentimentality, genuine intrigue of buried artifacts and their retrieval, comraderie with you fellows (and gals if there are any), makes me come and check y;all out about every day. But I don't feel that I have much to offer in the way of feedback to posed questions. Ya know...I NEVER kept a unit long enough to really LEARN it. I say that to my shame , in a sense. I mean....it IS just a hobby.....but it's so much more!!!! I mean....it is US guys and gals who make sure that history gets unearthed and gathered before the blacktop is layed!!!! One of my hunting properties, in the historic district, an empty lot that USED to have a dwelling on it, and where I dug several bullets, part of a spur, mercury dime, camp lead, etc, has now got 6 duplexes being built on them by a guy that I used to work with in the HVAC trade. He was the metal man, I was the service, refrigeration, electrical hook up, man. But he won't give me the time of day now, nor will he return my calls. A backhoe was in there, in between buildings, peeling off about 4 inches of sod. That got me excited. I called him. Placed on hold. Never picked back up. LOL That frustrated me. BUT...he owns that property now. The guy that owned it before him was like: Sure....hunt all ya want......bring whomever ya want.....etc. But that has changed. In one more week......it will be either built uponand what is not built upon will be paved. All of those relics...................gone. Like a sad sad song.....they're gone gone gone.
Anyway......that is only a minute fraction of untouched, undetected, earth still remaining, It is up to me/us to find it. And to wear our thick skin when we go to ask for permission. "NO" is never pleasant to hear. But one must belly up to the task and take for granted that: He's going to hear it from time to time. I mean.....look at Rick BOOM BABY Savage (but don't look too long...lol). He has to hear it. And he's a big ol feller. I'm a tall skinny feller. Striking good looks aside.....I still get my share of: "NOOOOOOOO! I don't think I want to do that!" (perhaps I embellished a bit about the striking good looks)
July 21, 2013 12:20AM
Glad to see ya back hombre!! And whether your actively detecting or not, least stop by and say hi once in awhile!!
July 21, 2013 01:15AM
Yeah I alway's got a Kick out of logging in a reading what Kevin was up To..

Glad to Know your O.K. Kevin...

I was scared you burnt out....So easy to do if the finds dry up....

Rememebr when the dry spells hit they don last long....

Sometimes a simple silver rossie dime will rejuvinate you and before long the find of a lifetime sneaks up on you..

But you got to SWING to get the BLING >>>>>>>>>> LOL!!!

Keith
July 21, 2013 01:10PM
Close to buying another unit. A good separator. It's GOT to be a good separator around here. The goodies are underneath the accumulated debris that has accumulated for 160 years. It is laying OVER the stuff I want. And I don't mean strictly Civil War stuff.....but ANY brass pieces from over hundred years ago are very interesting. I want them. Gotta have them. I need a new unit. The F5 is just not piercing enough......for me. Still, an awesome little unit and I have found some deep bullets with that "junt".
July 21, 2013 02:38PM
I'd would think that you had the best for separation when you owned the Deus.
I believe you had the f-75 ltd w/ the 5" coil also.
Not sure they make them faster than those two. If they do, I'd like to know also.