Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Compass AU 2000 Project,

Posted by Old California 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Compass AU 2000 Project,
July 21, 2013 02:43AM
Off and on been working on a detector the past month or so getting the unit ready to be my main relic machine, An old Compass Au-2000 52 kHz detector with Discrimination mode and an All-metal Auto Threshold feature. Very sensitivity to the tiniest finds, Fares about the same as the Deep Tech Vista Gold minus an inch or two. Did a mod similar to this one 2-3 years back on a GoldScanner Pro, That mod was very successful and always new if I was to do another it would be on an Au-Series.

Next mod will be adding on a booster switch, Not that the Au needs it but find the unit can handle more raw power when ground allows so that will be a near future mod to add when time allows and then this unit will be par with the Vista Gold.

She's a beauty, Well balanced using a New TDI handle setup. Most of the work went into the top meter assembly which is pieced together from other Compass parts giving the appearance of a factory setup. Some of the controls are still mounted below on the lower panel underneath the arm rest with a few main features on the meter assembly.

Separation is great! Lighting fast recovery speed hits a penny underneath a square nail both directions with ease, Looking forward to hitting a few old sites soon this is going to be a killer machine.

One of the pics is my old GoldScanner Pro parked beside the Au when I first started the mod a few weeks back. As you can see the Au-2000 panel has chanced since this pic was taken and remounted the control box 1/4" further forward, The face panel is now complete, What you see is set in stone it's done smiling smiley

Thanks for looking,
Paul (Ca)

Re: Compass AU 2000 Project,
July 21, 2013 03:32AM
Very impressive work....
July 21, 2013 03:32AM
Very cool...hope to see it in person soon. You should build and market detectors..I would rather buy American and not from the d.t. dealer.
July 21, 2013 04:25AM
Awesome set up you have there..

Compass was/IS some fo the best!!!

Keith
July 21, 2013 03:16PM
Thanks Techman, Ray and Keith,

Have been searching for a major company to come out with the high kHz detector for relic hunting and all this time had one in my collection and an old machine at that, New it was good for relic hunting but at the time my Au-2000 had some issues with stability. Took awhile to figure what most of the trimmer pots pertain to but finally got her calibrated through allot of trial and error, Plus In the process learned what is needed to add on a booster when ground conditions allow so that will be my next addition to add on the Au.

The booster will only be used in good ground, My Au is already tweaked for maximum sensitivity in hot ground but there are times in good ground can see a need for more sensitivity. That is were the booster comes in, A switch will quickly shift the unit into boost mode or back when conditions do not allow higher sensitivity.

It's going to run close to a Vista Tech Gold, Only have a higher iron range when needed which is needed for some of our Western Mountain dirt.

Thanks again,
Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2013 03:18PM by Old California.
January 15, 2019 03:36PM
Schematics for compas au52... au2000 ????. Photo of circuit ... thanks . ionatanterra@yahoo.com
January 15, 2019 03:45PM
Awesome job on that old Compass Paul, hope to see some hunt results soon!
Drew.
January 15, 2019 09:24PM
I don’t think he reads or posts here anymore. Your best bet would lilkely be the Geotech forum.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
January 15, 2019 10:01PM
Old Cali, why do you string your coil wire like that, first time I've seen it like that. Am I missing something?
January 15, 2019 11:40PM
I talked to Paul a few weeks ago. He doesn't do any more forums. Other priorities occupy his time now although he still detects quite often.

El
January 16, 2019 12:53AM
Elbert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I talked to Paul a few weeks ago. He doesn't do an
> y more forums. Other priorities occupy his time no
> w although he still detects quite often.
>
> El

That's to bad, I'm sure he has his reasons.
I have never met Paul but consider him a friend.

Tom
January 16, 2019 01:42AM
I consider Paul a friend too.

Rick
January 16, 2019 02:27AM
Maybe you will get lucky - karma works in strange ways.

Rick Kempf
January 16, 2019 02:43AM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Maybe you will get lucky - karma works in strange
> ways.

Just wondering whom that was for?
January 16, 2019 01:10PM
Vali73

Rick Kempf
January 16, 2019 01:30PM
The give away that this was an old post that had been resurrected (other than the date) was that Paul. mentioned that no major manufacturer produced a high freq relic machine. How the times have changed since 2013. Now there are a couple of companies that offer high freq relic machines and even a SMF relic machine. Gotta love it.

Dean
January 16, 2019 04:27PM
This was a Detector ahead of its time. Too bad Compass could not stay in Business as they were always on the cutting edge of technology.
January 17, 2019 11:08AM
Elbert Wrote:
> I talked to Paul a few weeks ago. He doesn't do an
> y more forums. Other priorities occupy his time no
> w although he still detects quite often.
>
> El

Give him my best will you.
January 17, 2019 03:16PM
Will do texkinzee .