Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Highly mineralized clay

Posted by TNdirtdigger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Highly mineralized clay
December 14, 2009 07:27PM
All,

My research has been going well. Not only did I score a 1910 house from this realtor that I contacted but he has given me permission to play around in the yards of 3 others. An 1890 and two 1920's houses. I went and explored the 1890's house this weekend for a couple of hours. Although, I came out there with little to show (no silver and just a few pennies and nickels) it did bring to mind a question I thought to post here. And this also kind of goes with I've been reading here about inert soil versus highly mineralized clay. Here in East TN, we live in a region with lots of iron in our clay. so I'm wondering what the best settings would be? I was running at 25 disc, 1 notch, 75 sens, and in JE mode and everything was very jumpy. Am I way out of whack with what I thought would the best settings for type of soil and in a kind of trashy area? Thanks for your inputs!

Roger
Re: Highly mineralized clay
December 14, 2009 08:30PM
I live in the highly mineralized clay area of Virginia.
In discrimination mode:

Do a fast grab ground balance
Add 2 to that number examplesad smileyif it grabs at 73 add 2 and make it 75)
DE mode
2F
Discrimination 5-6 (if there's not much iron or trash in the ground go to 4 which will also give you a boost)
Run your sensitivity up until you hear what sounds like noise and back off until it's quiet. If your discrimination is below 5 I usually have to drop my sensitivity lower.

In all metal mode: (very clean ground)

Do a fast grab ground balance
Add 2 to that number examplesad smileyif it grabs at 73 add 2 and make it 75)

Threshold -2 (This way it won't sound off on small pieces of trash or iron)

Sensitivity same as above, but 90 or below is usually where I settle in at.
December 15, 2009 12:06PM
Thanks Markg! I will it give a try this weekend and let you know the results!!!!
December 15, 2009 04:25PM
Well I have not hunted in that kind of soil and maybe the F75 can't handle that clay and iron but I would not have had a disc of 25 or JE in my setup.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Let your machine tell you where to set the Sensitivity
December 15, 2009 06:12PM
You can say a certain setting will work in one spot vs another. Set your sens so the machine is stable, even it that is only at 20 or 30, it will still be a hot machine. Too many guys think you have to crank the sensitivity on this machine and you really cant do that. Let machine tell you, by listening to the "noise". If its chattering, you have it set too high.

Scully
Exactly right Scully
December 15, 2009 08:35PM
Exactly right Scully
December 15, 2009 11:27PM
I just performed a test using my LTD in my red clay soil test bed in BP mode using the stock 11" coil, FeO measured 0.03:

Running Sens=45 and DISC=0 I could 100% detect my 8" deep dime and 75% detect my 7" deep dime (???) running with a near silent background.

Running Sens=60 and DISC=21, given the same near silent background, I could again 100% detect my 8" dime and 75% of the time detect my 7" dime.

Obviously I'll have trouble with fringe targets near DISC=21 but other than that, the performance on my deep silver targets appeared equal.

I must say, when I get lazy, I love running the LTD at DISC=21!
December 16, 2009 01:05AM
Eventhough I don't have a LTD can I guess that a discrimination of 21 gives a boost like it does in regular de mode?
December 16, 2009 03:03AM
If I see a spike in the FeO when I switch betweeen DE and BP I have been reducing my sensitivity to handle the increase in the number of things the LTD is seeing. If I don't see a jump I increase the sensitivity. I also increase my GB a couple of points and this reduces a little of the chatter.

When using mulittones, lowering the disc to 4 caused a lot more chatter but allowed me to hear the higher tones cleaner.

I haven't been on the right type of site to find deeper targets, but I am finding smaller targets easier, Bp seems like running JE with better audio, and additional tweaks.

Hope this helps some one.

HH
Fred
Re: Let your machine tell you where to set the Sensitivity
December 16, 2009 04:35AM
Nothing wrong with a little chattering

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

Increased discrimination does not decrease sensitivity on the F75
December 16, 2009 11:19PM
Below is a quote from the "Read This First" that comes with a new F75.
"You may find that sensitivity increases as you increase the discrimination level. This behavior is normal for the F75. If increased discrimination results in chatter, then reduce the Sensitivity Setting." I've actually ran my discrimination as high as 21 and lowered my sensitivity to 40 and could still detect 6+" coins.
December 17, 2009 01:13PM
Maybe I'm a little confused.....but I thought that the F75 got a "boost" after disc 25? That's why I was running my rig at disc 25, sens 75. And in that disc range it would cut back on the chatter and I would be hunting deep coins only? Is it the JE mode that's causing all the jumpiness (which I thought would also give it a boost?)in a highly mineralized soil?
Re: JE
December 17, 2009 04:03PM
Roger,

This is my opinion and I surely could be wrong.

In DE mode there is an automatic increase in sensitivity when disc is run above 20 or below 6. I don't think BP mode is the same.

I was at a 1890s house this past weekend and ran my LTD two ways:
BP, Disc 21, sens 60, 4T
BP, Disc 4, sens 60, 4T.

I first covered an area with the higher disc and tried to clean the area. Then with the lower disc, a lot more noise, but I recovered some targets that must have been masked.

I don't think JE provides any more depth, it just sees smaller targets.

Maybe someone with more hours will set us straight.

HH
Fred
December 17, 2009 04:20PM
yOU HAVE TO PLAY WITH THE MACHINE BUT START OUT STABLE SO MAYBE A DISC OF SIX DE MODE A SENS OF 62-72 (TO START) AND TRY ONE TONE NOT ONE F...YOU CAN TRY PF MODE AND THEN LOWER THE DICS OR GET THE SMALL COIL FAST GRAB ON CLEAN GROUND AND THEN UP YOUR BAL A COUPLE OF NUMBERS AND PLAY WITH YOUR FREQ..YOU ARE GOING TO GET SOME NOISE THAT IS WHEN THE FISHER COMES ALIVE YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO HUNT ALL DAY LIKE THAT BUT JUST TAKE YOUR TIME

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

December 17, 2009 04:23PM
IN FOUR TONE YOU REALLY NEED TO RUN A DISC OF 0 IF THAT IS NOT THE CASE FOR YOU TRY MONO OF 2 TONE YOU WILL GET A LOT MORE TARGETS THAT WAY I WOULD TRY ON THE LTD A LEAST A DISC OF SIX BUT I ALWAYS GO LOWER AND WE HAVE BAD GROUND IN THE GOLD COUNTRY

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

December 18, 2009 01:45AM
'je' mode is a tremendous boost on only the very small/tiny targets.

...... A Disc setting that is BELOW '5'....provides a extra boost in Sens & depth.