Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Deep Old Coins

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Deep Old Coins
December 30, 2009 12:53PM
I have been using the F70 for 9 months and I have made some good finds. What I have yet to do is pull out some deep silver. I have consistently found dimes in the 6"-7" range. Most ID'ed very good with a few of the 7" ones giving good tone but degraded ID(VDI in the 20's). Lately I find myself digging many crappy signals trying to find the deeper coins. All I get is rusty bent nails and small bits of foil buried a few inches deep but read as 6" deep in the pinpoint. Since I haven't yet found anything deeper I don't have a clue as to would I should expect the target to look or sound like. Obviously I see the need for a coin garden but lacking one I was hoping someone might chime in as to what I should be listening for or watching for on the detector. One other note is I have heard many people in my area(all Minelab users by the way) who I run into claim to be finding 11" coins. Of course, that's always when I am not around. When I am with them they get the same 6"-7" coins I do.
Re: Deep Old Coins
December 30, 2009 01:43PM
Deep coins depend a lot on what part of the country you're in.
Sink rate of soil etc.
Tom's DVD goes into a lot of these details.
In my area I don't think the sink rate is very fast.
I've found barber dimes in close to au condition (which gives a good indication as to when it was dropped) at less than 6" deep. This is also covered on Tom's DVD.
December 30, 2009 04:23PM
Try a simple test and bury a dime at 8"-9".......and see how the ground & detector responds FIRST........before creating a test-garden. Just make sure that NO tiny metal objects are in the ground before you bury a dime. This will dictate how you should build a future test-garden.
December 30, 2009 04:42PM
The LTD may really help you it is by far deeper and with the BP mode you get a better reading on fringe targets it has a great air gap...if minlabs are finding deep silver then go out and hunt with one of the guys and see what reading you get on your F70 you are using the 11DD?

It is not always about how deep a coin maybe a lot of coins are 3-6 inches depentind on your sink rate and that can change from sight to sight. In SC we found coins from 1800-1890s three inches down and they have a sandy soil...

Also finding old areas with history that no one was smart enough to research may bag you some nice old relics or old empty lots that had a home on it years ago.

I didn't care for the F70 the LTD and the F75 are the best machines I have ever had. The LTD is my main unit with the F75 and CZ3 as my backups...

Tom video has a lot of good info that is worth checking out.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 04:49PM by Lawrenzo.
Jeb
December 30, 2009 08:09PM
i think you need to give your setting that you normally hunt with. Then people can guide you for the better hopefully.
All metal mode is the deepest mode normally.
Try all metal with a High sens . Dig only the repeatable eachway targets . I can`t give you much more advise than this because i use an F75 and not a 70.
December 30, 2009 11:56PM
I have never really been able to get the hang of All Metal Mode. All the targets seem to sound the same to me and half of them don't register on the TID. So if the site will let me I run in DE mode with disc 0 sens 99 thres +9 and 2F for the tone. In town when hunting yards I prefer SL mode with disc 21 sens 70 thres -1(sometimes that's too much chatter so I drop to -2) and 2F. I like 2F because the tone gives so much info on the target(reminds me of my old 1265X). Just by the tone I usually know when its a coin. When I get a decent hit I always circle the target while continuously sweeping the coil. If I get decent continuous audio(even though sometimes its may mix with the iron buzz) I dig the target. In my soil pulltabs are rarely deeper than 3" on the meter so I concentrate on anything that reads deeper. I tend to pass on most target that read 3" or less unless it reads 75 or higher. Most of my hunting is done within 50 miles of the Ohio River.
January 02, 2010 06:06AM
hi there
here is site with some interesting tips for us dedicated sweepers
try out some of what you find here and be enlightened
[www.fisherf75.com]
trond

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2010 06:08AM by trond.
January 02, 2010 11:07AM
L G C I think you should give the Omega/DD coil combo a try for your area. The enhanced iron suppresion and sensitivity to high conductors (especially round targets) may make the difference you are looking for. In my ground conditions I find the ID on deeper targets (both good and bad) to be very accurate.
Also the VCO audio in the 1 and 2 tone modes sounds like something you would appreciate given your like of old style audio.

JMHO
Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2010 11:12AM by Jackpine.
September 06, 2018 01:53AM
Funny low! Same as the big fish stories!
September 09, 2018 12:11PM
Id say get another detector. The F70 I had was the exact same. I never dug any deep coins, it was terribly prone to EMI. I sold it. Then I got and learned an Etrac. I dug my first ever 11" coin with it. Talk about shocked!

If your a fisher fan look into the CZ platform over the F series for deep silver. Toms CZ3D he worked on is deadly on silver, and doesn't jump all over the place like the F series IMO.

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
September 09, 2018 04:02PM
I think the secret to finding deep coins is knowing what to listen for. That's why I love Modulated Audio as You can tell those Deep Whispers from the shallow most likely but not always newer clad. And adjustable is the best like the CZs and Etrac/Explorer models as everyone's Hearing is different.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2018 04:03PM by Harold,ILL..
September 10, 2018 12:16AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the secret to finding deep coins is knowin
> g what to listen for. That's why I love Modulated
> Audio as You can tell those Deep Whispers from the
> shallow most likely but not always newer clad. And
> adjustable is the best like the CZs and Etrac/Expl
> orer models as everyone's Hearing is different.

The first sentence above is all a person needs to know. After you hear that telltale type of signal,then it can be confirmed via pinpoint,TID,etc. The initial signal,and knowing WHAT tp listen for is the biggest key.
September 10, 2018 12:20AM
X 3. HH jim tn
September 10, 2018 03:46AM
I had a F70 and it simply wasn't a depth demon in my dirt. It did bag my best piece of jewelry ever, and my first seated half dime, so we're square thumbs down
September 10, 2018 01:04PM
It's always interesting to see/read the psychology of folks of whom are desperately seeking to find 'fringe-depth' whispers...….. and wanting deeper detectors; yet, will make the comment that they do not want to dig past "xx" inches. Statements like: "I do not want to dig past 12 inches." Hmmmmmmmmm!!!
September 10, 2018 01:43PM
Yes, just think of a deep hole as two or three + shallow ones back to back. I have found old coinage not by the detector telling me, but in stages.

(I do repeat myself on this forum as I've stated this in the past) In other words, getting a flat button say 7 inches, retrieving it then coil in the hole getting another signal....digging that one up etc. Before you know it I'm 18" deep pulling 1803 ish coins out. It doesn't happen often and you can't do this everywhere, but they're down there...This scenario has happened several times for me....of course the spot has to be a good location.

If I had a detector that could signal me of a 20" deep old coin, you betcha, I would go after it if I could. I can dig like a groundhog. lol
September 10, 2018 04:18PM
ozzie Wrote:
>
> If I had a detector that could signal me of a 20"
> deep old coin, you betcha, I would go after it if
> I could. I can dig like a groundhog. lol

Take a peek at my 'Equinox Construction Site' films on the tube...look for Desdunne1

Personally, I think there's an awful lot of HYPE about 'deep coins' ...must be the most overused 'urban legend' feature attached to coin shooting!
September 10, 2018 05:06PM
<Personally, I think there's an awful lot of HYPE about 'deep coins' ...must be the most overused 'urban legend' feature attached to coin shooting!

I watched and enjoyed them. Don't get the comment after seeing you dig 20" deep old items on your video.

That excavation scrape to bring you down 18" caused some movement in my lower extremities. grinning smiley

Be nice if they leveled out those mounds to detect the first 18".
September 10, 2018 06:12PM
Did anyone else notice that this post is from 2009 ? haha

Here's my .02c : Whenever someone comes on a detecting forum asking something like "what do deep coins sound like ?", It occurs to me that this is an impossible question to answer in printed text. Because "sound" is something you have to hear. No amount of printed text can describe a sound. That would be like asking someone to describe, in printed text, what the sound of C major sounds like. It can't be done. It can only be heard. Same for md'ing .

Thus the only solutions are to either go to youtube, and maybe someone, using your type machine, has made videos that capture sounds on live digs. But better yet, to buddy up with someone proficient in your area, to trade off flagged signals. Listen to what they're trying to isolate. Make note of what they pass. See how the swing, pinpoint, etc..... And before long, the "lights will go on".
September 10, 2018 06:32PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Did anyone else notice that this post is from 2009
> ? haha
>
> Here's my .02c : Whenever someone comes on a det
> ecting forum asking something like "what do deep c
> oins sound like ?", It occurs to me that this is a
> n impossible question to answer in printed text.
> Because "sound" is something you have to hear. No
> amount of printed text can describe a sound. That
> would be like asking someone to describe, in print
> ed text, what the sound of C major sounds like. I
> t can't be done. It can only be heard. Same for
> md'ing .
>
> Thus the only solutions are to either go to youtub
> e, and maybe someone, using your type machine, has
> made videos that capture sounds on live digs. Bu
> t better yet, to buddy up with someone proficient
> in your area, to trade off flagged signals. List
> en to what they're trying to isolate. Make note o
> f what they pass. See how the swing, pinpoint, et
> c..... And before long, the "lights will go on
> ".

Remember there used to be Explorer and Etrac simulators so you could learn the tones? Also there was a similar audio track for the Sovereign to learn it's tones.
September 11, 2018 09:51AM
Good Catch! This Thread from 2009. Didn't realise that!

The field in my videos had been a 'regular' farm field for years and ceased to exist as a farm (or part of a farm) about 6 years ago.
So the field had been 'tilled' meaning it had been plowed from time to time. So the targets I found were those targets that had been moved from close to surface to the full plough share depth when the last tilling had occurred?

I've only been on a few sites like that in my detecting career. Otherwise, most of my dug targets have been from 2" to 8" to the occasional 9", 10" and 11" on land.

On beaches, from wet sand areas, I have dug much deeper - even with the exact same detector and coil as the inland areas. The first "Explorer's" were 'depth magnets' on beaches and I once dug to 24" for a decimal cupro nickel coin.
That feat has never repeated and how it happened I can't explain?