Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tom,Keith, anybody, that has used a Whites Detector

Posted by Flintstone 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tom,Keith, anybody, that has used a Whites Detector
December 07, 2013 05:10PM
I see everyone on Tom,s Forum uses Fisher,s and Minelab and others but don,t see much about Whites detectors. Is it that Whites is not as good or as deep as other detectors? I just got a good deal on a like new VX3, I have had a MXT for years and have found lots of goods rings and coins. I got the VX3 for $580.00 and though that it might do better with the 3 KHz, It hunts in 2.5, 7.5, and 22.5 KHz. If anyone has any info on this detector please reply, i need help. Thanks Flintstone
Re: Tom,Keith, anybody, that has used a Whites Detector
December 07, 2013 06:40PM
Sorry I can't help you as never used one but they make quality units and back them up with excellent service after the sale. I understand the unit takes a learning period but once learned has decent depth and excellent ID. Judging by an XLT and DFX which were the forerunners I can understand what they mean because both are a tweakers dream and in some cases a nightmare. Still have the XLT and indeed once learned they are an excellent unit..I also wonder why especially in this forum never read much about Whites but do some googling and you will find a forum for your unit and perhaps is a better source of info on this particular unit.
December 07, 2013 06:57PM
Flintstone....I just picked up a V3i for a really good price. Have not used it yet in the field, but the ability to run in single or multi frequencies has always been a major asset. I had a DFX once and it was a very versatile unit. Lots of settings had to be adjusted to get it to run at it's optimal in terms of depth, but sensitivity was never an issue. In 15kHz mode it hit very well on lower conductors, and when in iron, with the Correlate mode, it did well. Running 2 frequency on the salt water beaches, it was very good and handled the conditions well...and found some nice gold rings and chains too boot !

So the V series should be a set up from the DFX. Not sure if the V3X has the wireless headphone option or not but that is always cool to have.

At this point I only have the 10 inch DD, but will get the V rated 5.3 inch concentric or look at some of the after market coils but they are all DD designs.

In all honesty, from using several Whites units in the past, I think ( at least in my mind), the concentric coils work a bit better. May just get the 9.5 inch concentric too.

When you get out with the V3X and have run it a few times, PM me with what you think. When I finally get a chance to use my V3i I will do the same. I did test it out in my test garden, and it performed superb, hitting all targets smooth and clean and hitting my 10+ inch silver quarter that is somewhat on edge, with a clear high tone and ID....something very few of my other units can hit. Was running in pre-set Coin/Jewelry setting.

E-Trac and CTX can hit it with the 11 inch coils (E-Trac can't hit it with the Sunray 8 and CTX can't with the smaller 6 inch coil) . My CZ's (older units) with the 8 can hit this quarter so that tells you something about how well older CZ's can hit on deep silver.

All in all I think you will like the V3X once you learn it. You got it at a darn good price too.
December 07, 2013 10:11PM
The Vx3 is a great detector, and is basically a stripped down version of the V3i. Similar platform without the boost mode, polar plot, and a few other bells and whistles, but it is a very versatile, competent detector. In fact, you can still tweak a ton of things, RX gain, sens, recovery delay, tone, backlight, etc... All the settings are there to run wireless headphones, but they didn't come standard with the detector. It also came standard with the 950 concentric coil vs. the dd (D2) on the V3i. I've owned two Vx3's with all stock coils. I preferred the D2 coil and the 5.3 shooter coil over any of the others, although the 950 coil was great for beach hunting. I haven't personally owned a DFX, but have heard from those who have that the Spectra series is definitely a step up. I've owned two MXTs, and a XLT along with the Vx3's. I would consider the Vx3 tops. The screen on these detectors is outstanding, and the audio is well rounded to the ear (especially on diggable targets). It has precise pinpointing (yes, it's adjustable,lol), and balances well, but the battery life sucks. If you plan on using this detector much I suggest you look in to a RnB battery, as the Vx3 did not come with a rechargable battery system, well worth the cost. I currently own a F75SE, and have used 1/10th the amount of alkaline batteries as the Vx3!! Again, I do find that the Whites has much better audio (less audio fatigue), but not as deep. I would like to try a V3i sometime to see if I could get the same depth and unmasking capabilities as the F75. All in all you got a good deal on a good machine! Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Travis
December 08, 2013 02:55AM
Never used the VX3 have used the V3i...

Too me the best machine Whites makes is the MXT..maybe Whites ever made...

its just getting to be a bit dated...

You have to remember the whites had variable tone break for ever,,, yet the reactivity on the machines cant match other's in iron work..Even the MXT is lagging now-a-day's

But on the other hand if you like to work moden trash and cherry pick, the signagraphs and such are Im sure very helpful..

If you want one to unmask the MXT is the best offering in my opinion with the right coil...if you want one for park work and modern type areas I am sure you will enjoy your detector..

On the V3i you can really speed the unit up and such with an ultra fast shut down and response and recovery and such in the programming and even use the 22.5khz freq and add a small tight dd coil even add boost ...BUT it still wont do in the iron what some other machines can do...something in the very core of the machine is not set up for the audio to help you unmask in nails...

I dont want to sound negative about the Whites,,,, far from it they are built awesome ...Give years of service make great finds etc .. but for what I want to do there's better tools FOR ME...Its in the Audio it's not there for sleuthy work..

Now dont think it wont pull nothing out of iron it will like any other detector but theres a threshold you will come to that you cant cross..And i havev foun the disc modes not to be the deepest comapred to others but the all metal modes to be some of the finest ever built...

the Vx3 and V3i seem to be engineering marvel's,all the same...And they have made some important discvories worldwide...

Enjoy it,,,, great price..

And Im iron hunting biased also so I may not be the best person to ask for a all arounder use...Heck it might be an excellent machine is some other aspect..

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2013 03:00AM by Keith Southern.
December 08, 2013 03:33PM
Thanks Keith, I do mostly park hunting, I know the MXT with the small DD coil can pick out coins good with the very slow sweep speed that can be used with the MXT. I just was thinking about the VX3 migh be a little better with the three KHz to hunt in. My #1 detector is the MXT, I don,t need the PRO for i can,t hear the tones anyway. I am 80% to 90% deaf in bouth ears, If i could hear good i would use a Tesoro. I need the TDI and graf bars to help me find anything. Thanks All for help, Love this forum, Flintstone
December 08, 2013 06:29PM
Been using Whites' machines for close to 30 yrs now......well built - durable - excellent customer service - parts/accessories available - reasonable prices!!
December 08, 2013 06:36PM
Hey Flinstone...

If you are 80% deaf then yes by all means the most visual information you can get about a target is going to be paramount...and yes the Whites models do offer alot of that..

Good luck with it.

Keith
December 08, 2013 08:52PM
I stopped using Whites maches with the XLT. The one thing that I absolutely can not stand on my detectors is an over abundance of settings. If i had a bad day detecting I never knew if it was because I had the detector set up wrong. I like simple settings. Right now I have the Minelab Safari.

But I have seen first hand the power of the MXT in club hunts and testing. It looked to me like a very impressive machine.

If I was going to pick up another Whites machine I would consider the VX3. I hear it is a much simpler machine than he V3I.

Good luck to you with your new detector. The one thing I will say is that Whites is and has always been a quality company.
December 08, 2013 10:01PM
Hi Goodmore, I have used the MXT fro about 14 years, or how ever long it has been out. It is the best detector for on the fly settings i have ever seen. If you have a bad day detecting it was not the MXT,s falt, you just didn,t put it over good targets. I am trying the VX3 just to see if the three frequency,s can help find silver better. The MXT dose very good on silver, if the VX3 can do better then i am in for a treat. If you want simple, the MXT cant get any better than a one knob detector. I have been out for about 1hr. with the VX3, and now we have about 4+ inch,s of snow. Hope it don,t stay around long. I will put the VX3 up against the MXT and if it can,t do as good or better it is gone.
January 02, 2014 10:57PM
Hello all, Im new here...I have a Vx3 now for about8 weeks and have mixed thoughts about it! Have found some good relics and some nice coins in this short time...and I have a DD2 coil,950, 6x10DD and a super 12! BUT no matter what i do i can not get it to run as deep or hit as hard as my F75ltd!!! i like the screen and some other options but seems to lack the fast processing of the Fisher...maybe some advice for other users would help me?

Thanks, Doug
January 03, 2014 12:08AM
LeadHead, welcome.
January 03, 2014 12:17AM
Thanks ozzie!
January 03, 2014 01:10AM
Leadhead, welcome aboard.

The V series units from Whites, in my opinion, have a lot of target info,and are good in trash, but no matter how hard I try to tweak it ( I have a V3i ), I cannot get it to hit as hard or repeatable on some of my deep test garden coins, like my CZ's and Minelabs.

I got an MXT Pro coming, and since I am used to simplified units with a few knobs (my CZ6a's and CZ20), I am thinking the V3i may be up for sale soon.
January 03, 2014 01:26AM
Thanks therover wow, im kinda feeling the same about my Vx3!! just dont understand how whites cant produce that hard hitting processor? do you think the MXT pro will be better?
January 03, 2014 03:17PM
Don't know if he is still hunting Dick Stout has some good info check-it out [www.stoutstandards.com] & HH
January 03, 2014 05:01PM
I still use Whites one of my two favorites are the MXT and GMT, Currently have the SST and still use it. Once had the V3 but went back to the MXT you can't beat the MXT I feel the MXT is a better machine over the V3.

Have other Whites but those are vintage BFO and TR models, Those are for collecting purposes.

Paul (Ca)
December 25, 2018 10:59PM
Don't get out much anymore but there's info on my blog if you use the "search".... www.stoutstandards.com

One that comes to mind is "Three More Takes on the MXT". Tried to post the direct link but apparently that's not possible here..

Lots of good info here as well...[www.ahrps.org]

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

DS
www.stoutstandards.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2018 01:12AM by Dick Stout.
December 26, 2018 12:56AM
VX3, V3, V3I.....I agree with Goodmore...too many settings. The thing about complete control is that you have to become the engineer and figure out every detail and how it applies to your dirt. Unless you are willing to use a preset factory setting...it takes the fun out of detecting. Also agree with Keith regarding the MXT.....although never liked the audio. Prefer the multi-tone MXT Pro with the 6x8 SEF coil or 6" concentric. The M6 was fun too. The Eric Foster developed TDI Pulse was also good. Overall Whites are lagging behind todays Tech.
December 26, 2018 02:15AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Never used the VX3 have used the V3i...
>
> Too me the best machine Whites makes is the MXT..m
> aybe Whites ever made...
>
> its just getting to be a bit dated...
>
> You have to remember the whites had variable tone
> break for ever,,, yet the reactivity on the machin
> es cant match other's in iron work..Even the MXT i
> s lagging now-a-day's
>
> But on the other hand if you like to work moden tr
> ash and cherry pick, the signagraphs and such are
> Im sure very helpful..
>
> If you want one to unmask the MXT is the best offe
> ring in my opinion with the right coil...if you wa
> nt one for park work and modern type areas I am su
> re you will enjoy your detector..
>
> On the V3i you can really speed the unit up and su
> ch with an ultra fast shut down and response and r
> ecovery and such in the programming and even use t
> he 22.5khz freq and add a small tight dd coil even
> add boost ...BUT it still wont do in the iron what
> some other machines can do...something in the very
> core of the machine is not set up for the audio to
> help you unmask in nails...
>
> I dont want to sound negative about the Whites,,,,
> far from it they are built awesome ...Give years o
> f service make great finds etc .. but for what I w
> ant to do there's better tools FOR ME...Its in the
> Audio it's not there for sleuthy work..
>
> Now dont think it wont pull nothing out of iron it
> will like any other detector but theres a threshol
> d you will come to that you cant cross..And i have
> v foun the disc modes not to be the deepest comapr
> ed to others but the all metal modes to be some of
> the finest ever built...
>
> the Vx3 and V3i seem to be engineering marvel's,al
> l the same...And they have made some important dis
> cvories worldwide...
>
> Enjoy it,,,, great price..
>
> And Im iron hunting biased also so I may not be th
> e best person to ask for a all arounder use...Heck
> it might be an excellent machine is some other asp
> ect..
>
> Keith

actually the whites m6 has to be the "sleeper" of all time.
check "reviews" online to get a better perspective of this detector.many already know this machine,and swear it is one of the finest coin and jewelry snipers that has ever been produced.a 'simple" powerful platform with "dead nuts" accurate id ,and wonderful audio modulation" at depth...it is an mxt derivative with limited controls that just plain get it done.
introduced to replace the xl pro in 2006,it always had a" silent majority" reputation as a coin vacuum.whitey chose to 'discontinue" it,to introduce the mx-5.in testament to the m6's reputation over the years,whitey decided to "bring it back",and dropped the mx-5.yess! mr white does indeed make "crackerjack" detectors,of which the 'acclaimed sleeper" m6 is one. also,equipped with the renowned eclipse 5.3 concentric trash coil,is tough to beat in the junk..many people who used this detector for years eventually bought "other" more fully featured detectors over time,HOWEVER, they never relinquished
the m6 and still have them to this day,that how good this 'sniper' really is.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2018 02:31AM by jmaryt.
December 26, 2018 02:40AM
I had a V3i when they first were released. Nice machine, used it for few years. However I agree with Keith, it just didn’t have the ability to work well in iron, no matter how you adjusted the settings. I do remember the V3i for one very significant find for me which was my first and only Trime, it was a 1853. It was only around 5” deep, however it read like junk, all over on the TDI. I was impressed the V3i had actually picked that tiny paper thin coin up.

Aaron
December 26, 2018 01:55PM
Hey Flintstone, I had a VX3 back in 2008 and kept it for 6 months, as to be fair in my testing of this detector. Three frequency simultaneously sounded great on paper, but the processor used to run the detector was terribly slow. The recovery speed could be sped up, but not enough, if you speed the recovery up to be as fast as a ..... say (Fisher)...... the audio would be terribly degraded (clipped, sputtering, popping....... Not smooth) Wasn’t going to happen..... Fail...... My primary detector is still a CZ5 , and by the way I rarely dig any deep Iron . Many other detectors have also failed. Not to pick on Whites...... The MXT is probably there best machine to date. Next.........The Anfibio looks very promising . HH Tony
December 26, 2018 03:16PM
My current arsenal is the Nox 800, Anfibio, Multi Kruzer, Racer 2, and three DFX's. I've gone through many of the White's detectors, Eagle II, XLT, M6, MXT Pro, V3i, and DFX. When I just want to hit a park for clad and jewelry, I grab the DFX with a BigFoot coil. The V3i was even better at this but I was playing the "Market" and thought I'd sell my V3i while it was still White's "Top of the Line". My thinking was that White's was due to come out with a new detector to replace the V3i but that still hasn't happened. A lot of folks bashed the DFX for it's depth but the factory programs are really weak. This makes the detector very mild mannered so anybody could use it just about anywhere and it would run smooth. BUT, if a person just wants to clad stab without having to dig holes, nothing else can compare to a Tone ID White's with a BigFoot coil.
December 27, 2018 01:59AM
VX3 is a very good park machine.....with dead on pinpointing..... great target ID..... the best display in the industry.......Very arcuate depth readings.......good volume control (no headphones) on hot days

Makes park hunting easy & fun ...... good luck

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2018 02:05AM by Rob in (ca).
December 28, 2018 12:52AM
You guys know this post was stared in Dec. 2013, getting more post now than did then. Still have my MXT, sold me VX3.
December 28, 2018 01:15AM
The mxt is a good park hunter to thumbs down
December 28, 2018 01:54AM
I bought a V3i in about 2012. I used it mainly in all metal mode using the target ID to discriminate. I found this to be better in trash than using the discrimination modes.
I consider the depth to be a bit mediocre, at least in my soil. I had the best luck with the SEF soils. My favorite is the 12x15, which adds a good 2 inches over the stock 10" double D. I have since moved on to the Nox 800, but still keep the V3i around in case I run into an area loaded with bottle caps. The V3i excels at identifying bottle caps because they ID in the silver coin range, but hit hardest on 22.5 kHz in pinpoint mode, while silver coins hit the hardest in 2.5 kHz. Only a few detectors out there that can handle bottle caps as well (CTX3030, eTrac, Explorers and possibly the Rutus).