Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Struck Silver in SF

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Struck Silver in SF
January 25, 2010 10:58AM
I decided to leave the F75 LTD in the garage today and give my ears a rest. I took CZ70 to a spot in San Francisco I've been wanting to hunt for a year or so, and I'm glad I did.

See here for pictures:

[www.findmall.com]

hh,
Brian
Re: Struck Silver in SF
January 25, 2010 01:17PM
Great finds !!!!! WTG!!!!!
I'm sure the F75 would have found those silvers
January 25, 2010 02:21PM
But congratulations
January 25, 2010 08:01PM
Mark I'm fairly sure the F75 would've found these as well, the mercs were 6" deep and the barber was about 8". The reason I say "fairly sure" is that there's a massive communications tower right next to where I was working and I suspect the EMI may well knock out the F75 LTD.

I needed a break from the audio fatigue of the F75 LTD, but barring an EMI issue I plan to go back over the same site with the F75 LTD and see if I can pick up anything the CZ70 missed, there's a fair amount of iron there, so maybe I'll get lucky and unmask a hidden target or two, but it'll be a noisy day.

What I find interesting is that I'm using the big Sunray 12.5" coil which most people say is strictly a beach coil, not for trashy parks, but I'm finding that it does exceedingly well in trashy parks, it seems to have an affinity to pick out silver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2010 12:15AM by Cal_cobra.
January 26, 2010 02:11AM
Wrap-around effect with the large coil can 'sometimes' pay off. Very nice finds.
January 26, 2010 04:19AM
I wouldn't mind rehunting it with the CZ70 and the Fisher 10.5" coil, that's a unique coil that sees things like no other coil, and just might find a deepie on edge the others are missing (although the LTD may well see it too).
January 26, 2010 09:40AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wrap-around effect with the large coil can
> 'sometimes' pay off. Very nice finds.

That 'wrap around effect' is something you seldom, if at all, encounter with DD coils. It would be interesting to compare the Omega with DD coil against the CZ in this instance.

Tom, two years ago you made this statement on the forum:

"It's time to desensitize a unit to iron.... and boost sensitivity to silver!"

Dave J and company must have pinned it to the wall as a goal to achieve. Adapting the 10.5" coil to the Omega has me thinking... yeah thats the ticket.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2010 09:50AM by Jackpine.
January 26, 2010 09:47AM
Great finds Brian!
January 26, 2010 09:32PM
Jackpine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NASA-Tom Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Wrap-around effect with the large coil can
> > 'sometimes' pay off. Very nice finds.
>
> That 'wrap around effect' is something you seldom,
> if at all, encounter with DD coils. It would be
> interesting to compare the Omega with DD coil
> against the CZ in this instance.
>
> Tom, two years ago you made this statement on the
> forum:
>
> "It's time to desensitize a unit to iron.... and
> boost sensitivity to silver!"
>
> Dave J and company must have pinned it to the wall
> as a goal to achieve. Adapting the 10.5" coil to
> the Omega has me thinking... yeah thats the
> ticket.
>
> Tom

Tom are you saying the wrap-around-effect is a benefit or a negative affect?

I know what it is (the 360 degrees of conductivity and where they meet iron bleeding into high coin), but how can it be used to your advantage?

TIA,
Brian
January 27, 2010 12:53PM
Tom = Intuitive!

Brian,
The wrap-around effect (in this case) has nothing to do with 360-Deg phase-shift most often implied; rather, in this instance......I'm refering to the electromagnetic footprint of a larger concentric coil..........of which...having the ability to 'SOMEWHAT' ignore a shallower tiny piece of metal.....as see/and-ID a deeper larger object .... such as a coin. Somewhere along the line...... I wrote about this effect......somewhere on this forum.......or was it on Findmall and posted by Porter. Hmmmmmm.