Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

NEL Coils....revisited.

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
NEL Coils....revisited.
February 07, 2014 03:59PM
I only have the 5" round coil for my F75 but the build quality on it is excellent. I just ordered the Tornado coil for my F75 as well....can't wait to get it. The big thing about these coils seems to be they allow you to run your gain/sensitivity higher than what you can with the stock coils. For the F75 that is a big deal, since it is so prone to EMI. I have a buddy who is getting ready to order the Hunter coil for his T2...his stock coil is acting up on him so he is going to get the Hunter as a replacement for it.

So as I was thinking...I began to wonder if any of you guys had tried any of their coils on some of the other machines they offer them for. I am particularly interested in hearing about the AT Pro with one of their bigger coils...such as the Tornado or Storm. I really liked the AT Pro...it just lacked in the depth department for me with the stock coil. I kept wanting Garrett to make a bigger coil for it; but I saw that NEL has their coils available for the AT Pro and Gold....just curious if anybody had bitten the bullet and got one, and if so, how it had done.

With the addition of the Tornado for my F75, I will be able to give a good comparison test between it and the Ultimate 13 that I had. I didn't feel the need for having two coils of the same size...and I am a curious fella...so I just sold the Ultimate to be able to give the NEL a try. I have a good baseline of targets and readings I got while I had the Ultimate so it should be fun.
Re: NEL Coils....revisited.
February 07, 2014 06:11PM
I have the Hunter (8.5x12.5) for the AT Pro

but

I also have 2 ft of snow on the ground here so I can't give a report on "in field" use just yet.

I have however - done air test with it and it gets better depth than the stock coil.

I also just ordered the Attack coil (was going to go with the Big 15x17) but decided against it at the last minute as the 17" is on the width side and I don't want that - it won't help with "depth" in my opinion vs the 15" attack - all it will help with is ground coverage and make it so more targets will potentially be under the coil at the same time. I wish they made Excelerator 10x14 DD's for the AT cuz I'd get one of those instead but you gotta get what's available!

I'll be reporting on my testing of the coils once this frozen tundra out there turns diggable once again - from the looks of it - probably another month and a 1/2 :-(
February 07, 2014 06:16PM
Hi Daniel,,this coil may be just what the Doctor ordered.......JJ
February 07, 2014 11:35PM
The Tornado was my go to coil when I ran the E-Trac looking for fringe depth old coins in parks. Great depth with smooth operation and seperation the was far better than expected of a coil that size. Had to detecting buddies that got the same results....
February 08, 2014 03:23AM
I have the Sharpshooter on my T2. Put it on and have not taken it back off. Able to run it at 90% sens. and it is deep for such a small coil.

Tom in SC
February 08, 2014 12:21PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I only have the 5" round coil for my F75 but the
> build quality on it is excellent. I just ordered
> the Tornado coil for my F75 as well....can't wait
> to get it. The big thing about these coils seems
> to be they allow you to run your gain/sensitivity
> higher than what you can with the stock coils.
> For the F75 that is a big deal, since it is so
> prone to EMI. I have a buddy who is getting ready
> to order the Hunter coil for his T2...his stock
> coil is acting up on him so he is going to get the
> Hunter as a replacement for it.
>
> So as I was thinking...I began to wonder if any of

Have you done any air test in comparison to the stock 5" DD coil? Does the ID numbers react the same between the coils?
> you guys had tried any of their coils on some of
> the other machines they offer them for. I am
> particularly interested in hearing about the AT
> Pro with one of their bigger coils...such as the
> Tornado or Storm. I really liked the AT Pro...it
> just lacked in the depth department for me with
> the stock coil. I kept wanting Garrett to make a
> bigger coil for it; but I saw that NEL has their
> coils available for the AT Pro and Gold....just
> curious if anybody had bitten the bullet and got
> one, and if so, how it had done.
>
> With the addition of the Tornado for my F75, I
> will be able to give a good comparison test
> between it and the Ultimate 13 that I had. I
> didn't feel the need for having two coils of the
> same size...and I am a curious fella...so I just
> sold the Ultimate to be able to give the NEL a
> try. I have a good baseline of targets and
> readings I got while I had the Ultimate so it
> should be fun.
February 08, 2014 04:04PM
Tom how do you think the Sharpshooter will work on F75?
February 08, 2014 05:16PM
Frank,

I just got a Tom D validated F75Se, and have the NEL Sharp Shooter for it. I did some testing and it's a great coil. Fits right in between the 11 inch and 5 inch coils and I feel a great addition to the arsenal. I won't use any larger coil than the 11 inch on the F75, but wanted a smaller ( yet bigger than the 5 inch) foot print coil and since the Sharp Shooter I have for my Vaquero works extremely well, I picked one up for the F75. Super balance and feel and I like the heavy duty cable and how it's made.

Right now here in NJ the weather is brutal, but I will be taking the F75 out soon. As per Tom's advice, I will be using the 5 inch coil for a bit to learn the unit. But I will be putting on the NEL for a spin or two, and hopefully I can report back here when I actually use it in the field ( which would be dry sand hunting at this point since there is too much snow on all the inland places I hunt).
February 09, 2014 01:03AM
Hi Daniel,,,,I'm wondering the same thing as rubydarlene.... Have you done any air test in comparison to the stock 5" DD coil? Does the ID numbers react the same between the coils?.....JJ
February 09, 2014 02:13AM
I hunted this past week over at St Simon's Island, Ga, with the Sharpshooter on the A T Pro and was very pleased with the coil. Was able to dig 7-8" deep coins inland with the coil and deeper in dry sand on the beach. It might be equal in depth to the 11" stock coil, so their bigger coils should even be better. HH jim tn
February 09, 2014 03:44AM
I don't have a 5" Fisher stock coil. That question is gonna have to go for somebody else. If somebody trust worthy here has one and would like to do some testing between them, I would consider shipping my NEL to them so they can do some tests between it and the stock 5". I don't really see myself using the small coil much; it would be a very site specific coil for me.

I was more curious about the performance of the bigger coils. I can't quite understand why people are buying the NEL coils of the same size as the factory coils they already have. That puzzles me. I don't see where the advantage would be there.

Example...if somebody had the F75 or AT Pro...why would they buy the NEL Hunter coil...it's the same size as the stock coils on these machines. Yet it seems like most people are buying the Hunter.

I can see getting the Sharpshooter for the F75...there's not a DD coil for it in that size. But for the AT Pro/Gold there already is. Not sure where the Sharpshooter would benefit anybody. I think the bigger coils would be of the most benefit.
February 09, 2014 04:36PM
Daniel, I think the NEL coils are very good coils, as far as your question on the stock coils, the NEL's are very EMI resistant, better so than the FT I've seen so far. I have the Sharpshooter and with the hunts I have in with it so far, you can crank up the gain/boost on the T2 LTD to max and hunt very quiet with it. If you have not heard yet, the New 5x10 solid coils are out for the F75 and T2 series. I saw one in VA back in November that Mike Scott had and it was a very responsive coil on the T2SE. I will be getting one soon to compare it to the NEL Sharpshooter that I have. I really like using OEM coils when I can get them.......Mark
February 09, 2014 07:15PM
Daniel ,
From what I have been reading on the various NEL coils , they seem to BETTER the stock coils of the same size .....So for example , if a brand XYZ makes a small coil , and the NEL company makes a coil of about the same size , the NEL seems to be able to run at higher sensitivity , it runs more quietly, and has better seperation .....In this case scenario , i would opt for the NEL coil ......I don't think I would take a machine that I owned that already had say an 11 x 8 coil already on it , and swap it out for an NEL coil of the same size .... This would be pretty redundant IMHO .......Jim
February 12, 2014 03:36AM
Well my Tornado coil came today. I don't want to get too excited as I've not had it in the field yet. Its not as quiet as the smaller coil...a little chattery but I was inside the house. But with disc on 6 and sensitivity on 80 in JE mode, it airtests a minie ball at about 15 inches. I will get more data as soon as I can. Its for sure more sensitive than the Ultimate 13.
February 12, 2014 05:36PM
And just as I was ready to pull the trigger on a U13...

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
July 05, 2014 12:51PM
So whats the update here. Any updates on these coils, or on them vs the ultimate 13 coil? I'm debating getting a Nel to replace my ultimate 13 coil.

Thank you!
July 05, 2014 12:55PM
Pasttom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And just as I was ready to pull the trigger on a
> U13...
I'll sell you my ultimate 13 coil pastor tom!
July 05, 2014 01:34PM
Overall...the Tornado = a much better coil than the Ultimate 13 on the F75. I'm not sure about how it compares to other units. I was one of the few people to try both of them. The Tornado has a lot more depth to it overall...and from the time I got it, til I sold the F75, it remained the primary coil on that detector. I dug stuff with it that was approaching the 15 inch mark; in this red soil that is pretty impressive for a non pulse machine.

In the end though...archery got my attention again. I was spending more time behind my bow and tweaking/tuning with it, shooting tournaments, etc and had zero time for detecting, researching, and actual hunting time. I decided it was time to just sell everything off and enjoy archery to the fullest. If I were to get back into detecting again and had to go get a detector tomorrow....it would be the F75 based on what is currently on the market. And the first thing I would buy for it would be the Tornado coil.
July 05, 2014 04:09PM
Daniel,

Good luck with the archery hobby, That is one great sport and yes can see it involving allot of your time.

Just picked up the Tornado for the GMP, Now have 4 NEL coils for the GMP. Haven't used the Tornado yet but hopefully soon, Was needing a coil for more coverage and hopefully gain a little more depth. The Tornado coil appears to be what I need for the GMP out in open areas., Although the coil is not that heavy hopefully my arm can handle the extra weight for long periods, Not a hip-mound person so got to tough it out see how it goes smiling smiley

Paul (Ca)
July 05, 2014 05:02PM
Daniel, what size is that Tornado, 12"x15"?
July 06, 2014 12:42AM
Ozzie,

Have the Tornado for the GMP, It measures 12" X 13". Pretty sure all Tornado coils are the same size.

Paul (Ca)
July 06, 2014 01:16AM
Thanks Paul. If it gets that kind of depth, I may look into it for the f-75.
July 06, 2014 02:26AM
Theres a 13inch ultimate coil for F-75 for sale on treasureclassifieds right now if anyone is interested. not mine,just thought I would share info.
July 09, 2014 02:07AM
I have the attack on my AT Gold and its really smooth. Gb is easy and its quiet and very deep. A little heavy but very managable.
July 09, 2014 07:21PM
So, some of you may have heard or seen this....19" on a three ringer?.....
[metaldetectingforum.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2014 07:22PM by sekypaleo.
July 10, 2014 02:02AM
I thought the Big was gonna be TOO big of a coil. The 12x13 is a good all around size. I must have overlooked the 19 inch minie ball claim though. The guy that made the post just said 15 inches on the minie with the Big. I can see that on the F75 with the Tornado. Although its hard for me to believe the AT Pro accomplished that.
July 10, 2014 03:18PM
15" was his air test of the minie....out in the field he claims he dug one at 19"....read on down that page....has a pic of shovel in the hole
NEL Discount for Findmall members?
July 20, 2014 07:21PM
I was thinking about getting a NEL coil for my AT-Pro, anyone know what Findmall dealer was offering a 10% discount?

Thanks,
Brian
July 20, 2014 11:13PM
Brian, Gold Diggers Metal Detectors. Mention Findmall for the discount. thegolddiggerds@aol.com I have the Sharpshooter for my A T Pro and really like it. HH jim tn