Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Air test on 3 different detectors

Posted by John S 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Air test on 3 different detectors
February 14, 2010 03:53PM
All the test were done with a clad dime. Etrac with a x5 coil= in auto 5", in manual of 28 = 6",, F75 with a 3x7" coil sen. 0n 80 = 7",, a 1998 cz5 with 5" coil = sen. on 7 = 7", sen. on 10 = 81/4". And I have noticed when the ground is dry you lose depth and when it is wet you gain depth. I don't have much mineralization where I live. I think that will make you lose depth all so..
Re: Air test on 3 different detectors
February 14, 2010 04:39PM
Nice test!

Can you repeat with their standard coils? Remember, though, all MLs perform poorly in air tests.
Airtesting the 75 LTD with a clad dime...
February 14, 2010 06:23PM
I get about 9 inches with the 5 inch coil using BP mode, Disc 6, 75 sens., 4H, about 10 inches at 85 sens. and 11-11.5 with 95 sens.-not too bad I'd say smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2010 01:26AM by christopher-ohio.
Re: Airtesting the 75 LTD with a clad dime...
February 15, 2010 01:01AM
Good/correct results. Remember.........dropping the Disc to '4' or lower on LTD....especially in 'bp' or 'cl' mode will also improve range/depth.
dgc
February 15, 2010 02:38AM
christopher-ohio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I get about 9 inches with the 5 inch coil using BP
> mode, Disc 6, 75 sens., 4H, about 10 inches at 85
> sens. and 11-11.5 with 95 sens.-not too bad I'd
> say smiling smiley

Christopher,

What was the final ground balance number for the above data points? And, just to make sure, please confirm data is on a buried clad dime and that you were getting clad dime audio and VID.

Thanks
February 15, 2010 03:39AM
As it says in my post title-airtesting-not in the ground so I can't give you a GB number at least not until the foot of snow melts on the ground here in Northern Ohio smiling smiley
dgc
February 15, 2010 04:31AM
christopher-ohio Wrote:
> As it says in my post title-airtesting-not in the
> ground so I can't give you a GB number at least
> not until the foot of snow melts on the ground
> here in Northern Ohio smiling smiley

Very obvious oversight on my part Christopher. Thanks for the reply.
Ballpark at best..
February 15, 2010 03:02PM
Unfortunately we are not playing on a level field..
Some units need to mix with matrix of ground, even two like units may vary and even two clad dimes may vary a tab in composition.
I would bet one of your club members has a test garden buried for years in your neck of the woods and would try your testing in this atmosphere for more accurate results for your info and certainly from State to State this data would vary. Having stated the above...lets not get hung up on depth as its only one variable of the hobby...
Jeb
February 15, 2010 06:30PM
John s Wrote " I don't have much mineralization where I live. I think that will make you lose depth all so.."

John,Can you tell us what you mean by this please, as i am puzzeled ?
I read it that you are saying ,that because your ground doesn`t appear to have any mineralization in it ,this causes you to lose depth with your detector.
Is this correct please ?
February 15, 2010 10:35PM
Jeb Wrote:
> John s Wrote " I don't have much mineralization
> where I live. I think that will make you lose
> depth all so.."
>
> John,Can you tell us what you mean by this
> please, as i am puzzeled ?
> I read it that you are saying ,that because your
> ground doesn`t appear to have any mineralization
> in it ,this causes you to lose depth with your
> detector.
> Is this correct please ?

I don't have very much mineralization here ( some???), so I will get a dime a little deeper . To my under standing the more mineralization that is in the ground you will loss depth? That is why in some of these pleases they have a hard time detecting, they use PI detectors, some people. I hope this is right??
February 15, 2010 11:55PM
Yup.

Highly mineralized soil will "break up" and "spray" the signals...

kinda in comparison to let's say the signal being masked by tiny

thousands of "traces" of iron...the transmitting signal bleeds

and weakens as it collects this masking type of information,

lowering the power of its transmitting signal as it continues to

transmit and try to find your coins.

I guess it's in lamens terms, since i know no other,

please correct me if i am wrong.
February 16, 2010 01:35AM
"Signal Attenuation" is the correct term for bad minerals that 'eat' the energy x-mitted from the coil; subsequently losing depth/performance.

For the most part..............here in Florida.............. when a detector air-tests a dime at 12".........it'll DO THE SAME in the ground. (Not so in bad mineral States).
Re: Air test on the Tek Omega
February 16, 2010 03:30AM
Hey Tom, nice website. I just received my new Tek Omega last week with 3 coils. Since the weather is cold, and the ground is frozen, Ive been doing some air tests in my metal filled garage, with the 5" coil. I went with one tone, sensitivity at 85, discrimination at 40, and I'm getting a repeatable signal on a dirty clad dime at 9.5" . Bumping the sensitivity to 99, and dropping the disc to zero, Im getting a repeatable signal at 10.5"! I can't wait for the weather to break, so I can try it in the field. This seems like one hot machine.
Jeb
February 16, 2010 09:50PM
Ah! John, I read it that you said Because you don`t have much mineralization in your ground, that will make you lose depth. It was the way you worded it that made me read into it wrongly.Sorry!
February 17, 2010 12:07AM
You should be quite happy with the Omega. It's especially quiet in iron nail-pits.
Air test on Omega W 10" coil
February 19, 2010 12:23AM
I set the sensitivity at 70, One tone audio , auto tune mode, It gives a repeatable audio signal at 12" . Then I set the discrimination to 40, and it detects the dirty clad dime at 10.5" Next I cranked up the sensitivity to max. or 99, disc at 40, still one tone, and it picks up the dime at 11.5 " Not bad for the stock coil.
Cant wait to turn this screamer loose in the dirt!
Air test...Omega w/11 coil
February 19, 2010 04:54AM
This is amazing! No Im not a salesman for teknetics, or sell detectors.
I Set the sensitivity at 99,disc at 40, one tone, and I get a repeatable audio signal at 14" on a dirty clad dime.
Turning down the sensitivity to 70, disc at 40, one tone, it nails the dime at 11" .
Setting the machine to autotune, sens to 70, one tone, its 13" on the dime. Wow.
Jeb
Re: Air test...Omega w/11 coil
February 20, 2010 12:11AM
possum mo Wrote:
> This is amazing! No Im not a salesman for
> teknetics, or sell detectors.
> I Set the sensitivity at 99,disc at 40, one tone,
> and I get a repeatable audio signal at 14" on a
> dirty clad dime.
> Turning down the sensitivity to 70, disc at 40,
> one tone, it nails the dime at 11" .
> Setting the machine to autotune, sens to 70, one
> tone, its 13" on the dime. Wow.

Then you woke up. LoL . Air tests ,and in the ground results, are far apart.Personally I have never seen the point of "air Tests" after all we don`t hunt in "the Air" ,and when all the mineralization attacks your signal and the EMI ,that soon makes a laughing stock of the "in air tests".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2010 12:16AM by Jeb.
Re: Air test...Omega w/11 coil
February 20, 2010 02:58AM
Air-tests do indeed have a certain value; as all variables have been removed; subsequently lending a good initiation point // base-reference for which we all can compare detectors. Adding real-world dirt with infinite variables......and it then becomes difficult to compare to each others unit.....across the country and/or around the world. Air-tests lend itself as a starting point. Yes .... real dirt IS the real test.
Jeb
February 20, 2010 11:29AM
Hi Tom, well the Explorer 2,SE,& Etrac is are very good detectors and with the correct settings known for their depth capabilities.
YET!! their rubbish when tested in air. How come ?
February 20, 2010 01:00PM
I have not encountered this problem with the Minelab's. However, what I have noticed ....may tie-in.

In dirty air (EMI encounter):

1. F75 will be unstable and chatter.........with end resultant being reduced/poor performance.

2. CZ will be stable/quiet..........with end resultant being sub-standard reduced/poor performance.

3. Minelabs (especially Explorer's) will be stable/quiet..........until a target is passed in front of the coil...especially at greater depths/ranges.........then (and only then) the audio response is wavering/unstable/erratic/poor-ID (poor air-test performance).

All three units have ERR. It is simply a matter of how the electroinc architect/platform responds.
Minelab air testing.
February 20, 2010 03:25PM
Back in the mid 1990's, I bought a Sovereign XS, that air tested poor. About 6" on a dime. I thought I had a dud. But I stuck with it, Got to know it well, and on the Lake Michigan sands, with the sensitivity as high as I could run it, and disc as low as it would go, by listening to minute changes in the audio, I was picking up clad coins 16" deep, in the damp sand, tape measured. I bought a 12" aftermarket coil for it, and it had nowhere the depth of that 8" coinsearch coil.
My cousin saw the results I was getting, bought an identical machine, and was lucky to get 10" deep coins. That XS I had was one hot machine, I should have never sold it. It just goes to show there are lots of variables in the results one can achieve.
February 20, 2010 03:34PM
Possum it looks like you now have two hot detectors in you life'
There has been a video out from over sea i think with your kind of depth
On you 14in dime test, you say with good audio.
Do you get a VID at that range Thanks Mike
minelab air test.
February 20, 2010 03:35PM
Back in the mid 1990's, I bought a Sovereign XS, that air tested poor. About 6" on a dime. I thought I had a dud. But I stuck with it, Got to know it well, and on the Lake Michigan sands, with the sensitivity as high as I could run it, and disc as low as it would go, by listening to minute changes in the audio, I was picking up clad coins 16" deep, in the damp sand, tape measured. I bought a 12" aftermarket coil for it, and it had nowhere the depth of that 8" coinsearch coil.
My cousin saw the results I was getting, bought an identical machine, and was lucky to get 10" deep coins. In the black dirt, I could only hit about 8" on a coin. It just goes to show , you have to find the right detector for the job. That XS I had was one hot machine, I should have never sold it. It just proves there are lots of variables in detecting.