Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Xterra 705 air test

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Xterra 705 air test
April 10, 2014 02:04PM
Anyone done any air test with the Xterra 705 detector
Re: Xterra 705 air test
April 10, 2014 03:30PM
What you want to know..

I have info on mainly the hf freq..

Keith
April 11, 2014 10:34AM
Still searching for a unit that will do well in the Virginia red dirt/heavy trash areas. The F75 and the 5" does very poorly in my area when it comes to these two criteria. In my dirt the 5" coil stops ID good targets at 4 1/2-5" deep. The Etrac with the 6" Excellerater is the best unit I've found so far. And of course we all know air test is not an indicator of in ground depth. Now on the other hand the stock 11" DD coil on the F75 does very well but all know in heavy trash the larger coils are handicapped. If I search long enough, the unit will be found.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2014 10:38AM by markg.
April 11, 2014 12:58PM
Multi line dealers or local clubs usually offer some good info on what works well in your area.
As a side note in some area with this red dirt or clay most detectors perform poorly.
Never hunted with these conditions so lets hope some forum member with experience can offer some advice.
April 11, 2014 02:20PM
Mark - Have you tried the CTX with the bad ground setting enabled AND salt mode in your ground? (I hope I got that right and I forget the "bad ground" setting name. Forget where I read it but someone with VERY bad ground said it was the best machine he ever used in terrible ground. Needed both Salt mode and the bad ground setting enabled for the magic to work.)

I'd also try to find someone with a Signum in bad ground. I'm curious how it would do as it appears very deep thus far.

Albert
April 11, 2014 02:34PM
earthmansurfer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mark - Have you tried the CTX with the bad ground
> setting enabled AND salt mode in your ground? (I
> hope I got that right and I forget the "bad
> ground" setting name. Forget where I read it but
> someone with VERY bad ground said it was the best
> machine he ever used in terrible ground. Needed
> both Salt mode and the bad ground setting enabled
> for the magic to work.)
>
> I'd also try to find someone with a Signum in bad
> ground. I'm curious how it would do as it appears
> very deep thus far.
>
> Albert

Albert, my hunting buddy uses the CTX and with the stock large coil it performs about the same as my LTD in boost mode and also in motion all mode. But he has yet to install the small coil, hopefully I'll know something about that this evening. Very excited to see how he does in the trash, red dirt. There's a lot of variables to take into account when it comes to this red, iron bearing dirt of Virginia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2014 03:25PM by markg.
April 11, 2014 04:43PM
I found the thread Mark - I'm curious if it works in your ground as this guys ground is bad.

[www.findmall.com]
April 11, 2014 07:28PM
I talked to my buddy earlier and he is on the way to my home. Test garden is the next visit with the 6" coil.
I'll keep everyone posted.
April 12, 2014 01:06AM
Well I finally found a detector with a small coil that can both detect and give a good ID on the two deepest targets in my test garden.
CTX 3030 with the 6" coil. Totally amazing at how well it did in my red Virginia iron bearing dirt. We started with the sensitivity set to manual 12, no audio, all silent. Gradually increased until the familiar THUNK was heard. Continued increasing until we hit 18, now a good smooth audio, just enough to prompt an investigation, but at 20 it was all over. Repeatable 4 way and a solid 12-45, dig me for sure. We increased the sensitivity on up to manual 25, but nothing improved the audio or ID numbers. 20 was a perfect signal for a small coil. Very interesting evening.
There is definitely something special about this machine.
April 12, 2014 07:59AM
Did you try the settings like in that link? (Bad Ground and Salt enabled)
April 12, 2014 10:19AM
Sorry Albert but we didn't try those settings but ours were:
fast off
deep off
smooth
ground coin

I must add, my main goal was to detect the two deepest and smallest targets in my test garden. The CTX is the only machine equipped with a small coil to ever give a good audio and ID numbers on these targets. My garden has been in the ground and undisturbed for seven years which make it a good place to test.
April 13, 2014 12:57PM
markg....... for several reasons, I'd like to know how a XP GMP (with standard 9" coil) would handle your soil/dirt conditions....... if you ever have the chance.
April 14, 2014 12:08AM
Tom, if I ever get an opportunity I'll sure try.
This site has provoked more thoughts than any other site on the web. Thanks you so much.
You are leaving a legacy and don't even know it.
April 14, 2014 09:46AM
Say Mark what is the depth of those coins? Also i think the --groun coin setting- -you used is the --bad ground-- setting earthmansurfer was refering to.
Thanks
April 14, 2014 10:38AM
6 1/2" dime
7" rivet the size of a pencil eraser.
XP GMP
April 15, 2014 12:15AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> markg....... for several reasons, I'd like to know
> how a XP GMP (with standard 9" coil) would handle
> your soil/dirt conditions....... if you ever have
> the chance.

Those machines are made in France. How hard are they to get in the US?
Re: XP GMP
April 15, 2014 12:18AM
Somewhat difficult...... but certainly not impossible. There are some Euro International dealer/shippers.......... and there's e-bay......... with the possibility of finding one in the U.S.
Do not get the wireless headphones.
April 15, 2014 12:31AM
I too have thought of going back to an audio only machine. I love this site.
April 15, 2014 04:49PM
I did some air testing you can check out my video's on you tube just look up Dakota Greg
April 15, 2014 06:42PM
I am also been thinking of returning to a pure audio machine, just for my very bad ground sites. I had the Tejon years and really like it, but it was handicapped when it got in the iron. But found a lot of gold items. The XP might just be what I've been looking for. True all metal mode with tones.