Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Who's had the XP Deus and what did you think?

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
April 13, 2014 12:51AM
Re: Who's had the XP Deus and what did you think?
April 13, 2014 01:11AM
Great top tier at unmasking in iron..

great mineral handling ability..

super lightweight.

Costly

Not the best target I.D. system if that matters to you..Most all deper than 6 inch targets you will find reads the same..

works the best when set up like a GMP..

I would buy a GMP for half the money and get the same or better performance for working iron that's the Xp'S strong point first and foremost....

if you want good target I.D. add another detector to the GMP...

but rememebr the GMP is nto sold here FCC problems...the DEUS is sold here and warranted here..

to tell the difference between the 2 is splitting hair's...but for peace of mind and support a DEUS is the viable option...but will cost you like 1500.00 bucks or so..vs maybe picking up a GMP for 600.00..

But first are you wanting to work through iron or hunt parks?

If you want to work parks and such and are willing to spend DEUS money look at a CTX real hard..

the DEUS/GMP is geared for iron Site unlocking the CTX is geared for alot of sites...I mean alot..

Keith
April 13, 2014 02:13AM
Mark I have owned a GMP for over 5 years and the Deus for 2 years. I have used both detectors extensively.
I can tell you now the GMP will be a permanent backup detector once you master the Deus.
It is far faster in iron, just as deep, far more options for site tuning and much lighter. I have to respectfully disagree Keith
in my dirt the GMP is in an awesome detector but the Deus is a monster.
April 13, 2014 02:23AM
I tried a Deus for park hunting and came to the exact same conclusion as Keith.

The ID system is useless, ground minerals screw TID up, as well as adjacent trash.

It is a very decent dry beach hunter with the large coil,... but so is an ACE 250. LOL

Desperatly wanted it to outperform the "weight problem" Minelabs,... but it didn't.

After 2 Deus units,... Yes I desperatly wanted it to outperform the Minelabs,... bought the next best thing an F75 Ltd.
Turns out this unit isn't the next best thing, but just better at ID and depth. And has a wider range of coils available.
Hooked up an Sennheiser RS160 wireless headphone set-up and it's a great thrashy park machine.
Unplug the RS160 wireless headphones, add a couple of Black Widow Headphones, harness and the 15" coil. It's a great dry beach hunter!!

I'm not into iron site unmasking,... recently came to aquire a Gold Bug Pro DP and will try my hand at a few trashy construction site iron debris sites with it.

Deus,....
Coil is waterproof, but needs a cable and weather/mud proof swimming gear for the remote control.
Remote control is very nice cell phone portability size, but just try to push a button with a pair of gloves on.
Wireless headphones are nice, but where is the volume control when you need to fix up a pair of windproof headphones to the remote control?

I'd just import a GMP if it wasn't available and desperatly want to try French XP flavoured panncakes.
Or just get a "cheap" Gold Bug Pro, G2, AT Gold. US style panncakes but will probably make for great eating.
Hold on,... a new F19 has been released. US style with a European twist, just what the doctor ordered?? Maybe,...

Those last 3 sentences have realy earned me my "anorak" status membership card in this crazy hobby of mine. LOL

In short Deus,... free updates and they are continually adressing peoples wants for new coils, wireless headphones, etc..
Other companies have been there, done that,... come to the conclusion us OCD detectorists actually want something you can use and abuse.
And have better performance.

Just my honest ramblings on the subject.

HH
Johnb
April 13, 2014 03:02AM
Nothing wrong with disagreeing John..!!!!

Everyones dirt is different and you have alot more time on a DEUS than I do..

One o the things I mentioned earlier about spliting hairs is in iron there very equal..

But what does bother me on the DUES and it's me being picky more than anything is the raw depth or at least the one I had was not quite up to a GMP when set on the 18kHz freq as far as sensitivity....

and one other thing that bothered me on the DEUS was the freq seemed manipulated instead of aligned...

by this I mean it ran very well on 12khz but on 18khz I picked up on slight nuances that lead me to believe the freq was electroniaclly manipulated to get there...It was noticable on 18khz by using very high conducotrs in a test...they would wrap into iron..the GMP would not...the GMP and DEUS both ground bal well but there seems to be how should I say a point where the DEUS could not go...and its not big deal by the way....its just in mind that it does it...

stack some quarters together and run them past the DEUS then run them past the GMP do 4 or 5 in stack...see which machine calls it iron on 18khz..Maybe the newest release dont do it..

And Believe me I know its no big deal and maybe the newest updates have taken care of it..

Im bad about splitting hairs and wanting that last bit out of iron as more of a challenge to myself than anything else..

So when at times I give my opinion on something involving detectors Im usually being OCD about it ..LOL!!!

Keith
April 13, 2014 03:07AM
Currently have both, Use both and like them almost equally favoring the Deus a tab more only because of the ID. The Deus ID helps the user avoid digging medium to larger pieces of iron, That's one of the several advantages with the Deus.

Before you purchase any of the two, Keep in mind these operate best as demo or relic machines so if you're into deep turf silver and don't do much demo or relic hunting stay away from the XP series.

I'm sold on the pair, With what little time I have with the two already made them my top guns for serious relic hunting.

The Deus will get deep park silver but you're going to chase allot of signals that ID as deep high conductive targets, deep bits and pieces of aluminum and such will fool you. I know back east depth is much better but here on the west coast our soil kind of interferes with depth but with the larger Deus coil it will ID a penny at 9" inches here in our California parks, The smaller 9" coil won't so lately been using the larger coil and dropping the kHz down gives the Deus an edge over the smaller 9" coil for deep turf coinage.

I've tried allot of detectors in my time, Hands down both the GMP and Deus are remarkable machines for my type of hunting.\

Paul (Ca)
April 13, 2014 03:10AM
I pretty much agree w Keith.

I've had the Deus and CTX for 2 yrs now and I really like both machine however if I had the choice between the 2, I would keep the CTX . Mostly because now I have a GMP, and really works as good (for me) in the iron, however I am going to try shallow water hunting w the Deus this year and see how I do with it, maybe that will justify keeping it.

One of the things I'm a little disappointed by the Deus is they won't make a smaller coil for it, while the GMP does.

I think Keith is right on though. If your gonna spend $1500 on a Deus you really should consider the CTX. It really is great in iron w the 6" coil. I've had it go right behind the Deus and sniff out some keepers.

Plus it's great in the water, and I've hunted in the rain w it and hose it off back home. Runs great and gos deep. The more I use it the more I like it.

The Deus is a great machine though, knowing what I know now though I would just get a GMP if it was iron hunting I was getting it for....

Aaron
April 13, 2014 05:12AM
I'm glad I don't have dirt like Keith and some of the other guys on this forum!

Here in Michigan (at least here in West MI) the Deus works great for ID'ing targets down to around 9" as for #'s on the screen. After that the #'s start to drop. That's with the 9" coil.

Last summer I pulled a Large Cent out of an old home site at about 11" (it was at least 2" deeper than the 9" pro-pointer is long) and/but the #s were fairly accurate even at that depth. It was off by about 3 points - LC's read 94 in open air test and down to about 6 or 7" --- this one read 91 and still sounded good/like a coin

I haven't tried the 11" coil so I can't comment on that one.

One thing about the Deus though (like most here agree) it's not the best "park/coin" hunting unit - it's a relic machine 1st and foremost and deadly in iron infested type sites.

Modern type sites are full of too much aluminum/foil/tin/trash and you'll end up hating the thing if you use it as your only machine to find coins/jewelry in the local parks/school yards or more modern home sites (or even very old home sites but that are still in use) etc. because you'll dig so much trash your arm will hurt!

I'm not saying you can't find coins/jewelry in modern sites with it --- but --- I am saying you'll dig tons of trash on a constant AND there are far better units out there for that task (the CTX for one) as Aaron mentioned or an E-Trac and many others too.

If you need a great iron sifter - the Deus is a top end unit

if you're looking more for a park/coin hunting type machine - I'd consider something more suited for that purpose.

Just my .02 piece ;-)

HH
April 13, 2014 05:18AM
I can swing a Deus all day, 2--------3hrs max on a CTX, but I'm old.
April 13, 2014 05:32AM
Hobo, if I couldn't switch arms, my detecting time would be less,.....with any detector. It was awkward at first, by keeping at it, you'll swing almost as good as your dominant arm. It is lousy getting older, the muscles slowly disappear and they don't build up like they use to.
April 13, 2014 09:12AM
I had the Deus twice. A fine detector. The target ID is the biggest gripe I had. Other than that it is a great detector. I never held or used a GMP. But I have another CTX. My second and last I hope. If weight is not an issue I would go CTX. It can do almost everything a Deus can do and then some. I think the Deus in 18 kHz finds much smaller targets. I ended up with some great minnie targets using the Deus. But I'm a coin shooter at heart and I need reliable target ID. Nothing out there gives you a better picture of a target than the CTX.
April 13, 2014 09:17AM
Yes, I agree, the Deus is NOT a park machine. A bunch of guys bought them when it came who thought they could use it for that, soon disallusioned and sold them.

The target ID will actually work against you, in the beginning as it's all over the place. But...since there's so much iron in my park because it's so old I use it there, however that's changing now that I have the GMP. Once you get used to the Deus ID it's pretty good. Tone variances are pretty good.

One thing I really like about the CTX is the ability it has w the tone on irregular junk targets. If it isn't round, like slaw or foil even, it's gonna bounce around and not be tight sounding.

Aaron
April 13, 2014 11:10AM
I agree with what you are saying Keith and Aaron about the Deus not being a park hunter. I have always used an Etrac for that.
I have used the Deus and GMP to go behind the E trac and pick left over silver out that were masked to bad to get with the Etrac
but it was usually a dig all deep conductors type hunt. In my area I am far more a relic hunter than a park coin hunter. Keith I have noticed
That the Deus is more centered with the 12khz frequency on V2 but from what I can tell V3.2 has the 18khz much tighter like the GMP. I have only
been on V3.2 for a week and I can tell you it is an improvement in iron. I do like the full tones and zero discrimination on V3.2
it makes picking through iron much easier and will definitely make a big deal out of the tiniest conductors mixed among the nails.
I find the tracking is not as quickly tuned on V3.2 it also feels a bit sluggish, but with all software upgrades I guess it's give a little here take a little there.
I have been reading good reports about the CTX , I figured it was too close to the Etrac therefore redundant.
April 13, 2014 11:30AM
Surprising how fast the replies came in. I'm still looking for a motion all metal mode machine that either has or allows tones to be assigned. Everyone know, I live in the red, iron bearing dirt of Virginia. Motion all metal mode on my LTD is the way I have to hunt at some locations. And to my understanding the Deus allows tones in the motion all metal mode. The Etrac can act they way I want but it hurts my shoulder after a couple hours. I guess I'll wait, maybe 1st Texas will come out with a unit like I want.
April 13, 2014 11:42AM
John, I really loved my Etrac, but I love the CTX a whole lot more. Every time I hear people say that they are like the same machine, I just don't get it.

The 2 machines are completely different...period. Now they are similar in a few things i.e. the VDI screen layout and ect. The CTX offers waaaay more info.

Also,,,,the CTX will just totally SMOKE a Etrac in iron, especially w the 6" coil. You know I honestly don't know what I like better in iron my CTX or my DEUS but to be honest I'm leaning more to the CTX.....

Aaron
April 13, 2014 11:51AM
One other thing, after just reading marks last post. The Etrac was not a very good machine ergonomically speaking, and using a bigger coil than the Procoil could wear you out. There is just something not right regarding the orientation of the handle, it puts your wrist and grip at a bad angle.

Now, ironically the CTX is heavier, and heavier than most machines...however it really is perfectly balanced! I understand there's guys who still have issues w it especially w shoulder problems, but it still is waaay better balanced than the Etrac.

Aaron
April 13, 2014 12:09PM
Hobo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can swing a Deus all day, 2--------3hrs max on
> a CTX, but I'm old.

Heh, heh,

Sorry, made me laugh.
April 13, 2014 01:17PM
Never owned one but met a father son duo and the father was using the deus and he raved about relative hunting deep old coins. Don't know beans about its working but well its sure light and would a big plus for us older folk...lately the CZ feels like lead and an Explorer is out of the question...
April 13, 2014 01:20PM
Keith.

With electronic manipulation of the 18 khz frequency, do you mean its all done in the control unit and the coil always transmit 12 khz ?
The wrapping of very high conductors and also several high conductors in the same hole is noticeable with 18 khz more then with other high frequency machines.

What is the reason for this and what can we actually miss without knowing it. Caches ? Pocketfull of dollars ? Silverware ?
April 13, 2014 01:26PM
The Deus actually transmits on the frequencies it claims to. They have been measured as part of a project a guy has done over on Geotech1.
wjs
April 13, 2014 01:29PM
Everyone has probably covered it. I had the Dues and now have the G2. I really like it. I would take it over the Deus for sure. I park hunt and the ID is really accurate and the depth is not bad either. So if your looking for a Deus look at the G2 for a lot less.
April 13, 2014 01:35PM
Everyone's missing the important detail here: markg has bad red dirt.
April 13, 2014 01:41PM
Sold my CTX and picked up a deus. CTX is the better field, park, schoolyard deep silver machine. But here in CT, mding is very competitive, and sites that can be used to the CTX's advantage are few and far between. I bought a CTX hoping the old parks would come to life again, and I did find a few silver I missed with the etrac, but nothing dramatic.

Deus much more portable for those hike in sites and much much better in trash and nail carpeted colonial sites.
Jury is out on the Deus though, I haven't bonded with it yet so to speak. I think though the Deus is pricey for what it does well.

CTX is better in iron than the Etrac, but its like saying the Ford fusion has a lot more horesepower than a ford festiva. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2014 01:45PM by Ferrous Bueller.
April 13, 2014 06:13PM
The CTX is much better in the iron than the E Trac. I don't even think that it is close. The Deus may be just a tad better than the CTX in iron, but I think it closer than the CTX/ETrac comparison. I pulled a flying Eagle cent with the Deus that was so tight in iron that I really don't know if any other detector other than another XP would have found it. Any time someone mentions the Deus in iron I flash back to that great find. But for 400.00 more I think the CTX just is the better buy. I also got a salt beach machine in the same detector. I thought the 13 " coil for the Deus was a lousy coil. Bad balance, heavy and not that much deeper than the stock coil. I never used the new 11", but I hear it is better. I wonder what a 5 inch coil on the Deus would do? Either way Deus or GMP, CTX, or E Trac I think anyone can be succesful if they take the time to learn the machine.
April 13, 2014 06:19PM
I think maybe and please remember this is my take on it...

the Coil may be some sort of Broadband coil or has a switching device in it?? Im not sure...

but I feel the GMP is wound at 18Khz

The DEUS is wound at ????

Im not saying its a bad thing but Me personallly .. and again I may be like Chicken Little.....I feel when the GMP is on 18KHZ and the DEUS is on 18khz the GMP seems more aligned and Intune if that makes sense..and its splitting hairs to be honest with you....

If you have a DEUS dont sell it to buy a GMP...

But again if you have a GMP think about what you want to do before selling it for a DEUS..

If weight is an issue then its a no brainer...if availability and warranty is required then its a no issue here in the States..

either one are the top runners for unmasking in iron...

Keith
April 13, 2014 06:58PM
wjs Wrote:
> Everyone has probably covered it. I had the Dues
> and now have the G2. I really like it. I would
> take it over the Deus for sure. I park hunt and
> the ID is really accurate and the depth is not bad
> either. So if your looking for a Deus look at the
> G2 for a lot less.

I have both and prefer the Deus over the G2., except for nugget hunting and that maybe because I haven't used the Dues very much for nuggets.
April 17, 2014 07:24PM
top seller in the UK market and few sell them so whats that say ?.theyre keepers because they do a good job .
had mine 4 years now and batteries going strong
April 18, 2014 05:37PM
Aaron Wrote:
> John, I really loved my Etrac, but I love the CTX
> a whole lot more. Every time I hear people say
> that they are like the same machine, I just don't
> get it.
>
> The 2 machines are completely different...period.
> Now they are similar in a few things i.e. the VDI
> screen layout and ect. The CTX offers waaaay more
> info.
>
> Also,,,,the CTX will just totally SMOKE a Etrac in
> iron, especially w the 6" coil. You know I
> honestly don't know what I like better in iron my
> CTX or my DEUS but to be honest I'm leaning more
> to the CTX.....
>
> Aaron

I dont get it either Aaron. When I read where someone states the ctx and etrac are comparable I immediately dismiss everything they say afterwards....

sorry op, back on topic....I had a deus and like all the others I think it is a great machine in iron and its super light. I would own another if I could justify having so much tied up in detectors. I can put the 6" coil on it and feel like it is on par with the deus in the iron...and for me it is just a better machine overall...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2014 05:42PM by bigboar.
April 18, 2014 07:52PM
The thing I LOVED about the Deus, which Büller mentioned, is that it is so portable. I often get around on a bike and it was so nice in that way.
The fun factor compared to the E-Trac was just not there though. I didn't get along with the sounds but there was no denying the performance.
The other thing I didn't like, and perhaps it's been corrected, is at around the 7"-8" mark, the VID would just cut out.

Depending on where I live, I would get another Deus. For travel it is just unmatched.

I agree, I would prefer to hit a site with my E-Trac and then go back through with the Deus. In that order, just because the E-Trac is so much fun.
I tried the CTX but the weight and lack of portability was limiting. I still miss it and might get another though. Damn great detector, wow.

I disagree about the E-Trac and CTX though, they really seem similar to me. I say that because I went from the E-Trac to the CTX without missing a beat.
Yes, it was much faster, unmasked better, etc. The CTX gives a lot more information, the ID's don't bounce at depth, etc. but to me it was a super amped
E-Trac. A different machine would be a nautilus II. ;-)

Albert

ps - Minelab, for the 100th time, put an E-Trac/CTX in a Deus like package - stop playing games...
April 18, 2014 10:21PM
earthmansurfer Wrote:
> The thing I LOVED about the Deus, which Büller
> mentioned, is that it is so portable. I often get
> around on a bike and it was so nice in that way.
> The fun factor compared to the E-Trac was just not
> there though. I didn't get along with the sounds
> but there was no denying the performance.
> The other thing I didn't like, and perhaps it's
> been corrected, is at around the 7"-8" mark, the
> VID would just cut out.
>
> Depending on where I live, I would get another
> Deus. For travel it is just unmatched.
>
> I agree, I would prefer to hit a site with my
> E-Trac and then go back through with the Deus. In
> that order, just because the E-Trac is so much
> fun.
> I tried the CTX but the weight and lack of
> portability was limiting. I still miss it and
> might get another though. Damn great detector,
> wow.
>
> I disagree about the E-Trac and CTX though, they
> really seem similar to me. I say that because I
> went from the E-Trac to the CTX without missing a
> beat.
> Yes, it was much faster, unmasked better, etc. The
> CTX gives a lot more information, the ID's don't
> bounce at depth, etc. but to me it was a super
> amped
> E-Trac. A different machine would be a nautilus
> II. ;-)
>
> Albert
>
> ps - Minelab, for the 100th time, put an
> E-Trac/CTX in a Deus like package - stop playing
> games...

Amen to this..the etrac and ctx are similiar. .I guess spending $2000.00 on a machine messes with objectivity with some...