Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

All Metal

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
All Metal
April 13, 2014 04:27AM
Went to a local park today with a friend. This place has seen many detectorists as there is a local dealer not too far from it....in fact the dealer has pounded the park himself. I was using my f-75 ltd in 0 disc, 99 sens, 11" coil.

This unit is very sensitive to say the least...sparky, like Keith puts it. I decided to give my mind and ears a rest so I switched to all metal and glance at the screen for every change in the threshold. There is what I would consider a medium amount of modern trash in this ground. The place was a fairgrounds back in the late 1800's and they still have events there today. There are bits of foil, tabs and aluminum pieces from the surface to about 5 or 6 inches. If there is iron, it's usually in varying sizes of bolts/nuts with bits and pieces of who knows what.

I was only hunting for old coins, listening for deep signals. Many of the signals would jump from high to very low iron numbers, most likely iron.

Moseying along slowly, I got a threshold whir, with numbers changing from the 70's down to the high 50's and a pp depth of 13". I dug out a deep plug, stuck the Garrett PP in the hole and no chirps. Took out more dirt and then the pp chirped, not too far now. Removed more dirt and out came a 1886 seated dime in beautiful condition. I measured the hole and it was 10" deep. That is a deep dig for around here in this soil, I was a bit surprised at the depth.....

This is the first time using all metal on this particular f-75ltd,.. I'm liking this. A short amount of time goes by and after passing up shallow targets, the same thing, slight whir in the threshold.. number spread of about ten or twelve-ish and a pp depth of 12". Dug down again a measured 10" and out comes an Indian head, 187?... I'm happy with the coin finds but my astonishment is the depth. I should have switched back to disc to see if it would have given me a dig signal, but I didn't.

I'ts been a while since I dug a seated....never one that deep, that I recall. Oh, by the way, that f-75ltd is a Tom D. certified unit.
Re: All Metal
April 13, 2014 04:39AM
Hey ozzie, congrats on the cool coins. I'm gonna take my Tom LTD to my old farm site today, use the 11", hopefully find some deep ones too.

I'm mostly impressed you are running the sensitivity so high on that machine. It's rare I can even run at 90 without EMI problems.

Aaron
April 13, 2014 05:19AM
I usually always max it out Aaron, and put up with the emi and sensitivity of the unit. In all metal at 99 sens, you don't hear all of the noise as in disc. I ran my old 75 the same way but this unit is different somehow. Tom said I may get in trouble with this 11" coil match-up to this unit....so far so good.
Yea Aaron, give it a go....I want to go back to that park again tomorrow myself.... let me know what you think and how you did...good luck!
Oh, I had the threshold set at plus 1. Hmm, my plus key doesn't work.
April 13, 2014 08:51AM
I haven't ever ran it in all metal Ozzie, I'll try it.

Thank you!

Aaron
April 13, 2014 01:37PM
Steve, you are at PhD skillset level if you are hunting a park in all-metal mode on a boost-process F75........ esp with the results you acquired. It'll pay off (as you are starting to witness). Commendable! Watch what else happens. Yes, switch over to the ID mode on these deep targets.... and continue the learning-curve. It'll pay off also.
Learn, Learn, Learn!!!

Aaron = Very little EMI on F75 in boost process with max'ed out settings whilst in all-metal mode. Stay in 'Motion' mode (not 'Static' mode).
April 13, 2014 01:51PM
In real old places with little trash hunting in all metal an get the ones others miss...With an analog CZ its easy to click the ID button one click and your in the ID mode to check these signals but if your in a trashy area not recommended as you will get a hit everytime you swing...Again knowing your unit leads to more goodies in the pouch and congrats on a nice find as seated is tough to find in my area...
April 13, 2014 04:47PM
............and ............ once again............ the validation for the requirement (and of the requirement) of: 'Depth is critical'.
April 13, 2014 10:47PM
Thanks Dan, yes, only the deep ones are left in the public areas around here also.

Thank you Tom.

I am learning and liking very much, hunting in all metal. I've used AM off and on for years but not in trash situations.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mid to low trash hunting in motion all metal, this is how I see it --------- It's slow going slow swinging,...no daydreaming or you may miss something. AM in high dense trash is too much for my brain and ears..way worse than zero disc max sens. Kind of like using a maxed out MLSE open screen, in a high trash. So, in AM, mid trash is my limit.

I'm strictly talking hunting DEEP old coins, nothing else. Once you get a mental checklist down, it becomes automatic. When everything checks off, you get a little rush and a grin may form on your face.

Mid trash to me is when metal is spaced on average about 12/15" " apart or there could 12 or more targets in a full R/L swing

This is what I do as of now using the f-75 LTD ------ Motion all metal mode, sens maxed @ 99, threshold at plus 1, find clean spot, manual ground balance. Slow swing, maybe 3-5 seconds for a right to left.

I pay no attention to high loud wh-vip's in the TH, or single digits,,, only the low whir's with high numbers bouncing to mid. If they bounce high to single digits I move on, prob deep iron. If the bounce mid to low/single, I move on, prob aluminum.

I narrow the swing (on a target) only if numbers are as above and the TH sound is a mild whir/whirp, then PP to get sweet spot (and checking depth#'s) on coil directly above the target, PP off, short wiggles while circling target. Depth gauge is buried. If not I'm moving on. If the depth number reads above 12" I'm happy.

Don't expect the numbers to duplicate on a 10" deep coin, on each swing, the'll bounce from high say 60's/90's (depends on the coin) on a left swing, then down to say 40's back to the right and then change again from different highs to diff med's.

Sometimes you'll get a tiny piece of metal masquerading as a deep coin when in fact, it's only at 3-5". It will have a low TH whir and the depth will show deep..... the confidence meter begs a look....or take the top 4-5" off and re-scan the hole...if it's in the plug, back in the hole with a stomp and move on, it's not a deep old coin.

Start your plug, and sink that 11" shovel down to the step. Usually only about 8" or less of the dirt comes out if your plugs dia is less than the length of your blade. I put my Garrett PP in the hole knowing it won't sound.

When I get to the 9/10 inch depth and all the above check out, PP goes back in for a locate.....there should be a nice old coin waiting for you to put your eyes on it. Darn that's fun!

I'm sure I'll learn some more tricks along the way...that comes by doing...Thanks all.
April 14, 2014 12:04AM
Hey Tom, how come you don't develop a F75 LTD with two tones attached to the motion all metal mode. I hunt AM anywhere the EMI is high, love it very much, but would really like at least two tones in the all metal mode. Or I guess an easy way to fix that problem is program the iron volume adjustment like the Eurotek Pro on the F75 all metal side. That way a person could adjust the iron to be silent in the all metal mode. Still all metal, but not hearing the iron.
Develop a way to modify these things and I'm sure the business will come.
Mark Gillespie
April 14, 2014 01:39AM
Hmmm,,,that sounds great.

I just got done hunting in all metal at a old farm site w the LTD in all metal for a couple hours w lots go iron and ears are ringing!

Aaron
April 14, 2014 01:54AM
This sounds fascinating and I'm heading to the perfect spot to give it a go tomorrow for a couple hours. BTW , what type of ground balance numbers are you getting at your sie?
April 14, 2014 01:55AM
Mine was 64

Aaron
April 14, 2014 02:19AM
Steve....... whilst in all-metal...... those deep sounding weak (but much smaller than a coin) targets.......... that are actually just a few inches deep....... give a much shorter duration audio length...... barely a blip. Your ears will 'tune' fairly rapidly to this. Deep/weak coins have a bit more broad/lasting audio duration/length.......... whilst in AM.

markg = Noted.

Aaron = At least you got things ironed out.
April 14, 2014 02:32AM
I'm going to take the LTD /11" to the old park this week and try it in all metal for the first time. I didn't realize how much better the EMI (or lack of it) is in all metal.

Aaron
April 14, 2014 03:16AM
Congrats on the Seated Ozzie..

yes its amazing what a discriminator calls iron that's not iron isnt it!!!

I love all metal threshold based modes for the deepies...

Keith
April 14, 2014 06:34AM
Shoveler, my ground balance at that park was 62. The fe3o2 meter was up to 3 bars and in some areas, 2 bars.

Tom, yes! that is a great tip. Thinking back on the day, I do recall that.

Thanks Keith. I'm learning and liking it myself.

All these tips and tidbits of knowledge/information are quite valuable. You cannot find them anywhere except by doing, paying attention and taking mental notes... and from you highly experienced gentlemen who know more than you may realize as it is second nature to you. I always found 'tricks of the trade' to be of real substance......thanks again guys.
April 14, 2014 09:36AM
I hope that turns out to be an 1877 Indian Head !
April 14, 2014 11:26AM
Ozzie- "All these tips and tidbits of knowledge/information are quite valuable. You cannot find them anywhere except by doing, paying attention and taking mental notes... and from you highly experienced gentlemen who know more than you may realize as it is second nature to you. I always found 'tricks of the trade' to be of real substance......thanks again guys."

Agreed!

Aaron
April 14, 2014 12:55PM
Esteban, lol..exactly what I was thinking as I was trying to make out the date. It was pretty crusty.
April 14, 2014 03:44PM
If anybody caught it, Nasa Tom just revealed one of my biggest and best kept secrets of the F-75 in all metal mode. Tuning the ears to cherry pick the good deep targets from the surface trash that is small and gives a faint signal. Once you do it a time or two, you catch on to what you need to listen for, regardless of the ID. In fact..the worse the ID is, the better I like it, as long as it has "that sound" to it. In fact, its almost uncanny how the F75 can still give that same broader signal on a target that is so deep. Its why I love motion all metal on that machine. I use a little Predator shovel to dig with...it has a small narrow blade on it that is not much wider than a standard Lesche handtool. Anyway...there's nothing more satisfying than sticking that thing in the ground to the hilt, and cutting a plug...and still getting that good broad tone coming from straight down in your hole. You know then, that's its probably not gonna be modern trash and then the ole pulse starts to quicken when the pinpointer says its close and the hole is a good 10+ inches deep.
April 14, 2014 04:26PM
Daniel, on both of those 10" deep coins the numbers jumped back and forth with every L-R swing..high to middle numbers. When I dug high (60's to 90's) to low (single digits), it was always deep iron...but to my ears, the whir of the threshold sounded the same. Are you saying there is a difference in the whir sound if it's iron? Not sure my hearing will be able to pick that up, so I'll have to rely on the way the numbers jump. Would be nice if I didn't have to constantly glance at the screen. I've been using Gray Ghost Ultimate's for years...I like the mute option verses taking off the headphones.....need that with a chatty detector when I lay it down.
April 14, 2014 04:30PM
Funny that people are reverting back to all metal mode..

forever that was the only mode us relic hunters could use to get depth..old time disc circuits were shallow for sure..

but I myself do like a smooth all meta mode.

The best I have ever used and still love it today and can tell alot about a target by using it is the whites 5900..

Keith
April 14, 2014 05:02PM
......6:45am - Keith Southern arrives on-site for nice digging time.
......7:45am - Keith Southern still trying to decide between the last two finalist detectors to use for today's dig, after eliminating the other 478 he brought in the van and pull-along trailer.
......8:00am - Keith Southern makes final decision and starts his hunt.
......9:00am - Keith Southern finds his 228th amazing relic and goes home satisfied.
April 14, 2014 06:20PM
I call first dibs on the caddy position.
April 14, 2014 10:02PM
Well Rod Im not sure I could get up and out the door that early im usually not in bed till about 4am ..Sleep till 9am..

Not sure I would dig an amazing relic either...that seem's to come in spurt's..And I not in that spurt right now..but I will have a good time and be satisfied.....

And Ozzie you tickle me LOL!!!! Caddy!!!!!

((((((Speaking of caddy did yall See Bubba Yesterday!!!!!!2 jacket's!!!!))))))

I do wish we/all/some/few could hunt togehter someday on some sort of organized or even unorganized hunt...

would be great to spend a few days hunting and meet up with everyone...

Keith
April 15, 2014 02:09AM
Ozzie -- Yep. There for sure is a difference between non iron and iron in all metal mode on the F75. It's really not that hard to cipher it; but I don't even know how to put into words how to describe it. To hear it is a lot easier.
April 15, 2014 10:48AM
Keith, I didn't see the Masters. I use to enjoy watching a good golf match, but stopped the tv viewing years ago, HA! too addicting.
April 15, 2014 07:32PM
Who's got time to watch tv anymore?

I just wish I had the time to detect on a regular basis...

Aaron
April 16, 2014 06:25AM
Hello, this is my first post to this forum but I have been following it for several months now. My research before choosing to purchase my F75 SE included lots of time perusing this forum, during which I formed the opinion that there is much knowledge and experience represented here. I've had the F75 for less than 3 months now and really like it. I detected 30 years ago with a Nautilus and only got back into it about a year ago. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and the fruits of those experiences here where they can benefit others.

I usually hunt coins and relics in AM motion using the boost process and tend to pass up targets with numbers below 20. I have a feeling I'm passing up some good targets but rationalize that if I dig all the low numbers I'll never get to the targets with higher numbers.

Ozzie, are you saying you dug a 10-12 reading and got an IH? Why would you dig such a low number, and why would an IH read so low?
I dig low numbers once in a while just to see what I may be missing, but so far, no pleasant surprises.

NASA Tom said switch over to ID mode, a phrase I've seen several times here; what does it mean? I think it means Discriminate, but don't know why it would be referred to as ID mode.

I'm happy with the F75 because it provides so much information, but it's going to take more than 3 months to understand its nuances. This forum is helping to shorten that time.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
April 16, 2014 11:00AM
Wayne, yes...... I'm referring to Disc mode; yet, with a low discrimination set-point....... nearly accepting all metals.
Have you had a chance to read the thread: Rcpt Ack of F75 LTD Prototype"? There's quite a bit of data there; however, not much about the all-metal mode of the T2/F70/F75.
Welcome to the forum!