Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Vintage clothing iron, era?

Posted by Old California 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Vintage clothing iron, era?
April 14, 2014 04:29AM
Recently found this and appears to be an old Clothing iron? At least that's what it looks like. Very heavy a good 3 pounds plus solid cast iron and 5.5" inches in length, missing the handle but the broken handle ends are still visible.

Does anyone have any idea the era it comes from? The site is extremely old for California, Scanned the internet searching for something similar but couldn't find one similar to this one. Sort of has the shape of a Dutch wooden shoe kind of a neat find, Digging large iron sometimes a treat will surface.

Appreciate the help,

Paul (Ca)

Re: Vintage clothing iron, era?
April 14, 2014 05:40AM
Very cool find Paul. The solid ones were called sadirons (sad meant 'heavy'). American Mary Potts patented the removable handled sad iron in 1871, so it had to be from earlier than that.
April 14, 2014 03:18PM
That is a very cool find Paul. Looks older than the ones I've seen on line.

El
April 14, 2014 03:47PM
Thanks ozzie and El,

That's cool Ozzie so it's safe to say this can be older than the patented ones with removable handle, Seen those type on ebay but didn't know the patent date. Thanks appreciate this information that's great!

El, As small as this thing is sure is heavy. 3 pounds and that's with the handle broken off wonder how they fastened the wooden handle on maybe was 2-piece wooden handles fastened over the iron handle grip portion, Cool fine glad you were there when this surfaced.

Enjoyed the hunt El especially the fellowship, Darn grass is getting too high smiling smiley

Thanks again,
Paul (Ca)
April 14, 2014 04:16PM
I've dug probably 60 or 70 of those in my life Paul..

All sizes..All periods...1700s to early 1900..

they did not change a whole lot...Most were of English design..

I have a feeling yours is of some other nationality..

9P.M. Update

you Know what Paul..I have thought about your iron all day..and the first thing I thought when I saw it was why does it look like a Dutch Shoe....

so I looked up dutch shoe shape sad iron..

Heres what i got..

M.A. Boone, #1, Pat'd Dec. 5, 1846.

And heres a pic of one soemone painted.

Clean the top of your iron with a wire wheel and you will see the patent..Im certian this is your's..
Im going now to look up the patent..

Keith

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2014 01:14AM by Keith Southern.
April 14, 2014 04:29PM
I'd imagine they wouldn't pizz of the wifey when she was ironing clothes back then.
April 15, 2014 03:36AM
Thanks a million Keith! Yup! That is the same iron as mine I'll have to purchase a wire wheel and clean this puppy up.

That was fast! Appreciate the help and you taking the time to research this old iron, Was worried would never find out the era it was made 1846 is quite old for California.

ozzie, I was thinking the same as you this sure would seriously hurt if someone chucked this across the room especially a direct headshot, But then again if this was a direct hit to the head most likely the victim would never see the rising sun again.

Thanks again Keith!

Paul (Ca)
April 15, 2014 03:54AM
Would you use electrolysis for more delicate relics/items? HH
April 15, 2014 04:02AM
Good detective work there Keith.
April 15, 2014 09:57AM
That's it! Keith, good bird dog-in.
April 17, 2014 02:53AM
Hey Paul Your most welcome..

I love trying to I.D. items..

On your iron...

Im not 100% sure that its a clothing iron..

Im thinking it may be Door stop...

not sure yet..

Keith
April 17, 2014 05:05PM
Thanks Keith,

Yeah, Seen that later on the Internet these are used as door stops. Not sure if these were intended to be door stops back then or present or made to be an actual clothing iron back then.

If anything, At least it is as old as 1846 smiling smiley

Thanks again,
Paul
Paul I found this about two months ago
April 18, 2014 01:44AM
When I found this I had to carry it all day it was so heavy but I couldn't part with it I just think history is so cool

[www.thetreasuredepot.com]

From the 1800s

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2014 02:49AM by Lawrenzo.
Re: Paul I found this about two months ago
April 18, 2014 07:06AM
That's a cool find LowBoy,

That's right up there in Gold country era for sure! You always find the neatest relics glad to see you're getting out more often now, You surely deserve it!

Thanks for sharing your find!

Paul (Ca)