Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Site Evaluation

Posted by rapidroy7 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Site Evaluation
April 15, 2014 01:30AM
Never thought about it before till Nasa Tom"s Inland DVD, makes sense to think about where things would sinker faster or slower, how do you people evaluate some of your sites? Tom also talks about his mild soil, what makes soil mild & conducive to pristine finds & where would you hunt on a Cz in (inert) mild soil a G.B. of " 0 " there in " deeper" searching capabilities ? HH> Never get below 4 or above 8 on my ground.
qwk
Re: Site Evaluation
April 15, 2014 04:03PM
These are just my preferences, and they work for me, so I use them.

If I want to find gold, I pick a baseball/soccer/football field that has been heavily hunted/cherry picked and dig everything but small iron. The reason I do this, is I don't like digging clad....it's simply a numbers game. I would rather dig 1000 pull tabs/gum wrappers/can slaw and one gold ring than 1001 pennies/dimes. Coins from quarter on up are pretty rare here unless you hit a trashy virgin field, which is also rare.

If I want old silver, I pick a less trashy area that dated back to at least the 1940's. That doesn't mean that I don't hunt trashy sites at all, but generally the trashy sites yield much more trash to keeper ratios. Old homesteads are some of the worst places to hunt, as people didn't lose many valuables back then. In order to find what little silver there may be, you will break your back digging iron that masks all of the non-ferrous items.

There are no relics where I live, so I cannot comment on those.
April 15, 2014 05:12PM
Hey qwk thanks for sharing good thoughts. Are there really NO relics where you live? Where do you live- big city, coast (left or right), inland (North or South)? Not looking to poach, just think it would help to make sense of your comments to know. Where I am there are precious few really old sites and most are historic and off limits. We have some places dating to 1900 give or take a few decades with only the smallest CW era action, but that is mostly centered around Mission Church lands. Those who control the sports areas are not very open to diggers.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
April 15, 2014 05:26PM
Thanks & nice post qwk perhaps I should use artifact instead of relic? HH
qwk
April 15, 2014 06:07PM
Pasttom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey qwk thanks for sharing good thoughts. Are
> there really NO relics where you live? Where do
> you live- big city, coast (left or right), inland
> (North or South)? Not looking to poach, just
> think it would help to make sense of your comments
> to know. Where I am there are precious few really
> old sites and most are historic and off limits.
> We have some places dating to 1900 give or take a
> few decades with only the smallest CW era action,
> but that is mostly centered around Mission Church
> lands. Those who control the sports areas are not
> very open to diggers.

I live near Lewiston, ID. Relics to me are more like civil war, wwI etc. items. Here there are your odd brass/iron items form the late 1800's on, but nothing really meaningful.

Having lived/detected in many other areas of the country, this place is pretty slim pickings.