Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nel 5" sharp coil on minelab e-trac or explorer se

Posted by Mccrorysjewelry2 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nel 5" sharp coil on minelab e-trac or explorer se
April 16, 2014 01:14AM
Hello, Has anyone tried the Nel 5" sharp coil on the minelab e-trac or explorer se? I have been hearing good things about this coil being used on other detectors. Thanks
Re: Nel 5" sharp coil on minelab e-trac or explorer se
April 16, 2014 01:17AM
get the 4.5x7 and dont look back..

Keith
April 16, 2014 01:29AM
Thanks Keith! The 4.5x7 coil must truly be a great little coil. You truly believe it is better than the 5" and 5x9.5" Nel coils? Have you tested all three? Just wondering. I know you and Tom D. would know. Thanks
April 16, 2014 01:56AM
Keith, Is the coil your talking about the 4.5 x7 made by s.e.f. or detech? Where can I get one?
April 16, 2014 01:57AM
Heres what need to be looked at on the FBS platform...

its not the best at unmasking in dense iron and its not a very fast machine..

The small 5 inch coils from sunray and from excelerator are not much different I assure you than the 5 inch nel...I have used the other 2 but not the NEL on the FBS...

So we are lookign for separation form the FBS..Well the small coil's offer that but the 4.5x7 offers that plus a tighter window that the rounds do not have..the tight cpoils makes up for speed lost through the slow processor of the FBS...

I would not compare the 9.5x5 to the 4.5x7...If any part of the size goes past 8 I consider it a mid size coil and not a small coil...I figure small coils go up to 7 then 8 to 10 medium then 11 on up as large

But and I can promise you this...if you can get a 4.5x7 and run it for awhile you will see your FBS machine dig smaller stuff and stuff on edge in iron laden areas that you are not used to wiht the FBS...the 5" are great but they wont hit the on edge like the 4.5x7...

do a simple math procedure

5 inch coil 5x5 =25
4.5x7 coil 4.5x7= 31.5
9.5x5 coil 9.5x5 = 47.5

for tight site work with a FBS I will elliminate the Bigger coil from the get go...

now the other to as you see are very close yet the slight differnece is made up for in Elliptical design...and its tighter...and the slight 6.5 number will give a slight depth adbantge over a 5 inch..

I have seent he depth the 4.5x7 gets over the 5 and its a good 1 to 1.5 inches.. and the deepr targets resonate better ont he 4.5x7..

so if you are looking at a small 5 inch coil I would assume you are not looking for depth as much as you are looking for separation...

I see the 4.5x7 as a must have coil for the FBS..get it..then compare others. but dont go and try to compare the 4.5x7 to the 5x9.5 for depth the bigger one will go deeper..
but wont work a trashy site as well...

FBS machines are finnicky and the 4.5x7 makes it find items morelike a VLF machine..Thats coil is very hot on nickles by the way..

All my opinion..But I know what I see in the field..

4.5x7 is made by Detech...

the S.E.F. is one of DeTechs designs..As is excelerator. and ultimate..

I may add the coil is costly...200.00 if you cant find a used one...but its a intricate coil to build from what I understand...it will show in performance gains...

I still think the DeTech coils are the finest aftermarket coils made ....I like NELS prices but I like the DeTech tightness especially at depths out of their DD's..
I think NEL is tryin to get more depth..I think DeTech is trying to get separation and depth...

Again use what works for the site your hunting..

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2014 02:03AM by Keith Southern.
April 16, 2014 12:40PM
I really liked the 6" Excellerator coil on my Etrac. Very good separation and better depth than the F75 and 5".
April 16, 2014 02:24PM
Thanks Keith for all that info. I will probably get me a Detech 4.5x7 coil. Let me ask one more question about 2 coils I have. Please tell me what you think of them? I have a Fisher QuickSilver 5" coil for my cz-3d that I haven't tried yet. I have a excelerator EQ pro DD 6" coil for my minelab se that I haven't tried. Have you tried these coils and what do you think as compared to other small coils out there for the same detectors when it comes to depth and separation? Tom D. you can weigh in on this because you know the cz-3d and I'm sure you have tried the 5" Fisher QuickSilver coil. Thanks
April 16, 2014 04:01PM
Markg, Is that the excelerator EQ2 pro DD 6" coil you are talking about that you use?
April 16, 2014 04:11PM
Hey Yes i ahve had the 6 inch EQ on the explorer...very good coil...and great at trash hunting...

But the 4.5x7 in my opinion is a better investment in the long run....its as deep maybe a tad deeper...but the 4.5 is tighter and see smaller and on edge targets better...

the 5 CZ coil is something I cant comment on..

Now in my earlier rambling's about the 4.5 I see the advantage of that coil against the other small coils is in the densest of iron...

Keith
April 16, 2014 10:08PM
That 5" coil on the CZ, if the impedance is matched correctly works great in trashy areas (as long as it isn't iron).

The fun thing with the 3D is you can go through park trash and pull out the nickels (and some nice war and buffs) where others have long since given up.

Aaron
April 20, 2014 12:26AM
Ha Keith, I ordered the detech 4.5x7 coil today. Can't wait for it to come in so I can get out there and go back over some of my old hunting places. Some had a lot of trash and I had a hard time finding any coins with my other coils. Thanks again for the advise.
April 20, 2014 12:36AM
Good for you!!

I think you will find the machine to perform different now ...it will seem like a different machine with that coil..

It will find smaller targets than your used to with the platform and also you will see targets on edge come to life..Also it will seem the tones are sharper more exact more assured..

Let us know the first hunt impression..

Keith
April 20, 2014 01:23AM
Thanks Keith, will do.
April 23, 2014 03:29AM
I think you will like it. It does pretty good in the iron areas.