Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Site research tips and tools..

Posted by Tim N 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Site research tips and tools..
April 17, 2014 12:01AM
I was wandering if any of you long time relic hunters would mind sharing your research tips or certain researching tools you use? I really want to get into relic hunting but not sure how to approach locating sites. Thanks in advance.
Re: Site research tips and tools..
April 17, 2014 12:38AM
If you are after Civil War camps, here are the basic rules: find existing CW period roads....sometimes they follow modern roads, sometimes not, there MUST be a water source close by, check all stream crossings (fords and ferries), look for slightly elevated ground that follows the previous rules. Obviously there must have been CW activity in these areas. These same rules hold true for other relic hunting (Rev war, western etc). I have found that bar none...the best way to find sites is talk to the locals inquiring about the history of the area and if any relics have already been found there.
April 17, 2014 12:41AM
Talk to the old timers in your area and do a google search for the history in your area of the country. Maps are nice but are not always very accurate they can normally get you in the vicinity of a battle or camp site but you will have to locate it from there. A good spot to start out would be the nearest water source in the area your hunting and work your way out from there don't use discrimination on your machine and listen for any and all signals when the signals become of great abundance you are in a area that's seen activity at one point in time. This has worked for me more times than not.
April 17, 2014 02:50AM
Heres you go Tim..

a few months back

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Keith
April 17, 2014 09:54PM
Wow, thanks for the great info guys. And Keith, that's a very thorough write up. I will use these tips for sure. Does seem a bit overwhelming though.