Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Factory tune up of CZ-70 pro

Posted by Muddy Knees 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Factory tune up of CZ-70 pro
April 17, 2014 01:52AM
Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum. I have owned two CZ's, a 6A and currently a 70 pro. I've had the 70 for about 10 years now and have never done any air testing until I came across this forum. I tried it yesterday and started getting a bouncing signal on a clad dime at around 9 inches at a sensitivity of 6. I went down to 4 on the sensitivity but lost some depth.
My question is: is it worth my time and money to send this back to the factory for a tune-up? As I understand it , Tom doesn't tune 70 models.
Just as a side note, in the real world, I've never gotten much below 7 inches for coins (trash yes, coins no).
Thanks
Re: Factory tune up of CZ-70 pro
April 17, 2014 02:28AM
Welcome to the forum.

I still have my 70Pro and my depth is about the same. Don't make the same mistake I did and send it to the crook in Texas who claims to be able to fix all the old FISHER, TEKNETICS and COMPASS machines.

Yes, Tom doesnt work on the 70Pro, try checking w FTP, might be able to tune it up however they can't replace parts anymore I've heard.

Aaron
April 17, 2014 12:33PM
Thanks for the advice Aaron, I'll keep an eye out for the charlatans. I'll check with FTP and see what they have to say. I would like to try a tuned CZ-3D and if I liked it would sell my 70 but I don't know anyone that has one around here (Woodstock ILL).
Mark
April 17, 2014 12:38PM
Mark

Used 3Ds are regularly for sale on ebay the 1021 series are quite in demand and you will pay a premium for them.

Aaron
April 17, 2014 12:47PM
All in all most digital CZ's don't go as deep as analogs at least in air tests for the most part but have got deep silver dimes with either in the 10-12 inch range in the ground where it counts.
Fisher does tuneups of digital units and although they don't have all the parts they supply new parts and do a good job of tuning them. A call to Fisher might be warranted for more info.
Personally think you are not getting the depth you should as they are capable of better depth.
April 17, 2014 03:19PM
I called Fisher and Felix asked me to call back on Monday and talk to Daniel his technician and explain to him my results for the clad dime air test. I may try to video the air test and put it on youtube so Daniel can view it personally. I also believe I will try burying some clad dimes and a silver dimes at different depths and recording those results.
I'll post my results.
April 17, 2014 08:41PM
I seen a post at one time or the other where FTP said that 7 or 8 inches were within their specs on being a properly calibrated CZ. Which I thought was crazy cause the worst air depth I got on any of the CZ'S I owned was 10" which was a FTP CZ-3D coincidentally!
April 18, 2014 05:28PM
Well boys it's a sad day in Mudville! I went out in the yard and buried a clad dime (optimistically) at 10 inches. Well that was a joke, but the joke was on me. I didn't get ANY ID hits on this until I was at 6 inches, and then it was ID iron until I got to 5 inches where it started to hit high tones. Now that's pretty sad. I had my ground balance set perfectly. It's off to Fisher come Monday.
Mark
April 18, 2014 05:37PM
Sorry to hear that...Best of luck...John
April 19, 2014 12:04AM
Bad mineralization?
April 19, 2014 02:11AM
The machine balances out at 4. Is that consisted very high ?
April 19, 2014 11:30AM
Where the unit ground balances at..... does not determine how much mineralization.
How 'tight'.................. or how 'narrow' the ground balance window is...... can determine how bad the mineralization is. If the unit is Grnd Bal properly to your specific dirt............. and you can not move the Grnd Bal knob very much CCW or CW without the unit being fairly out of balance...... means you have heavy mineralization.
April 19, 2014 09:45PM
The range of the balance is pretty tight, I'd say from 4 to about 4.25 if that.
April 20, 2014 01:37AM
That's fairly highly mineralized ground!
April 24, 2014 12:07AM
Well I finally connected with Daniel down in Texas and he said that my results were not totally out of line. But just for grins and giggles, I've shipped it down to them for the ol' once over. I sent it with my 8" coil (the only coil I have) and we'll see what they can do. Daniel said there are something like 24 points to calibrating a CZ70. (better him than me). I should have it back in a couple weeks and I'll give y'all an update. In the mean time I guess I'll have to use my Pro-Pointer if I want to do any detecting. I'll really have muddy knees doin' that.

Happy Hunting,
Mark
May 26, 2014 04:56PM
Sorry I hadn't gotten back to you guys on the outcome. It was returned the day after I went on vacation (had it sent to my sisters house). The first week back to work was insane. Well the CZ70 pro air tests about as good as it did when I sent it but I can run it flat out with sensitivity at 10 with out it going nuts. The biggest change is in the ID. Before I sent it, it would ID poorly. The ID aspect has improved quite a bit. It hits good IDs in the test garden down to 8".
As a side note, Mama and I were talking about detectors and since it was so close to my birthday, we welcomed a CTX3030 into the family. I took it down to Montrose beach (Lake Michigan) Saturday morning and we got acquainted. Yes there is a lot to fool around with on this machine. I ran mostly stock programs and found a number of newer coins and some bling, nothing old. I found a couple more things in my yard that I must have passed by before. All in all, I think we'll get along fine together. Mama even pretends to be sincerely interested in how it's going (bless her heart). I found some programs from "Gone hunting for history" that seem to work pretty well. I'm thankful for the forums as they make the learning curve on a new machine a lot easier.

Keep 'em swingin,
Mark
May 27, 2014 01:32AM
Well said... Mark!