Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Corn Field Yields Cash Crop Today :-)

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Corn Field Yields Cash Crop Today :-)
April 17, 2014 02:56AM
Hey all

took the CTX out to a corn field (1850s/60s site) today as I had a day off for once in like 3 weeks and the weather was good so I took advantage :-)

I'll be going back (and you'll see why below) with the CTX and 6" coil and the Deus... (Today I used the stock 11" coil on the CTX) but it's a nail infested nightmare!

I still managed some good stuff though ;-)

1860 Fatty
1868 Shield Nickel
1862 Half Dime

Half a Heart buckle??
Old wedding band
Old snap purse (no coins in it)! lol
Lead
Copper
Brass
Pewter
Horse shoe
Solid brass shotgun shell
A few buttons
Casings
Doodads
etc
etc

Re: Corn Field Yields Cash Crop Today :-)
April 17, 2014 03:01AM
WTG Wayne!

That's a lot of loot!

What's that ring thing with the patent # on it?

Sweet coins!

Aaron
April 17, 2014 03:04AM
I'm not sure Aaron

it seems to be like a key or something
April 17, 2014 03:14AM
Great hunt Wayne!!
April 17, 2014 03:16AM
That was a killer hunt Wayne,congrats.
Corey
April 17, 2014 03:39AM
Thanks guys

You gotta love Michigan during the Spring and Fall time/s!

I must admit - if you do your research and gain permission - we have some good areas that produce good finds more so than other areas of the country.

We may not have 1700s colonial stuff like the NE and we may not have civil war (mainly war related items and especially Reb stuff) like the south but we do have our fair share of 1850s/60s stuff and even 1830s & earlier if you know where to look :-)

I love metal tectin :-)
April 17, 2014 04:09AM
Great finds Hunter and a real nice photo lay out. WTG. If you ever need any help with those big fields Old California (Paul) and I will be happy to help out smiling smiley. Congrats.
Rr
El
April 17, 2014 09:33AM
Take out all the good stuff and that would look like one of my hunts.

Outstanding and keep it up.
April 17, 2014 12:08PM
Pac man- "Take out all the good stuff and that would look like one of my hunts"

LOL!

Yeah my last farm field too!

Aaron
April 17, 2014 12:16PM
Spectacular! Yet; that's a very typical/expected outcome for where you are hunting. Which is to say = Go back! Glad to see you are digging those lower conductors. Bet that fatty 1860 Indian did not read/ID what you expected. (((and possibly the same with the Shield Nickel))).
April 17, 2014 12:25PM
Pac man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Take out all the good stuff and that would look
> like one of my hunts.
>
> Outstanding and keep it up.

LOL

I know the feeling Pac-Man

I don't always get so lucky -- it just happens this site has never been dug that I know of :-)
April 17, 2014 12:39PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Spectacular! Yet; that's a very typical/expected
> outcome for where you are hunting. Which is to say
> = Go back! Glad to see you are digging those
> lower conductors. Bet that fatty 1860 Indian did
> not read/ID what you expected. (((and possibly the
> same with the Shield Nickel))).

Hi Tom

none of them really hit where I'd suspect them to as for "#s"

I dig everything based on sound in the fields -- here's a run down on the #s

the fatty was jumping around from anything like 11 15 up to 12 23 and all in between (had a mid/high tone)

the shield was anything from 11 07 to 12 20 and all in between (had a mid/low tone)

the 1/2 dime was fairly stable in the 12 33 to 12 37 range (had the classic mid/soft silver tone) so I knew it was something good from the get go :-)

The CTX with stock BIN's is a bit diff than the E-Trac's --- that's how I ran it in wide open screen yesterday -- I didn't move any of the BINs except the low/iron FE down to 32 to knock out some of the nails in combined
April 17, 2014 12:47PM
That's a great hunt...lots of targets. WTG sniffing out those coins among all that !

I will be very interested to hear your results using the 6 inch coil, as well as the Deus.
April 17, 2014 02:28PM
AWESOME digs!!! WTG!

Steve
April 17, 2014 04:23PM
Wayne. Did you dig a lot of lead? I know I dig a ton of lead at those old those field sites. I found a 3 cent time last week with the Etrac, it was giving me kind of a crappy signal but like you I tend to dig a lot lol, It came in at 22-22, at 3 inches. It was a mid tone sorted like a piece of lead.
Corey
April 17, 2014 05:54PM
Sweet digs!!! WTG!!!
April 17, 2014 10:17PM
docbars Wrote:
> Wayne. Did you dig a lot of lead? I know I dig a
> ton of lead at those old those field sites. I
> found a 3 cent time last week with the Etrac, it
> was giving me kind of a crappy signal but like you
> I tend to dig a lot lol, It came in at 22-22,
> at 3 inches. It was a mid tone sorted like a
> piece of lead.
> Corey

Corey

I dug a fair amount of lead (shown above) but I always do for whatever reason! It always sounds good but the #'s change on a lot of pieces according to size, shape, thickness, etc. so you can never really rely on the #'s as to if it's lead or not because of the variances in the #s and I don't wanna miss good targets thinking it was just another piece of lead so I dig a lot of it! Basically - when I hunt fields on ancient sites I dig everything above the iron grunting...

I too found a Trime last fall with my Deus set on 4 tones in a field and it sounded terrible - low/mid tone (just above iron) and the #s were very low for being silver (like in the upper 50s & low 60s) ---- had I been in a park or the like - I would have passed rgt over that signal as it was scratchy and sounded/read like junk!
April 18, 2014 01:32AM
Lordy thats a good hunt!
April 18, 2014 02:37AM
Nice coins...

But I like the heart buckle cover better...

People like to say theyre from the Civil War but they were in use from the 1860's till the late 1800's..

They were used to cover the buckles on horse harness'..especially when a horse was in thick brushy areas ...to keep the buckles form coming undone..

Ive dug those plain, With heart's and with bullseyes on them for all period sites and with different maunufacturing processes too..yet I like them all as a relic...

Keith
April 18, 2014 07:01AM
I wish my buckle looked like yours Keith!

But

what I REALLY like to dig more than anything is "Military Buttons" ----- the problem here in Michigan though is 1: they are hard to come by and 2: when you do dig them 1/2 the time they are in sad shape due to the harsh weather conditions and the soil being so moist except in the summer (although) here on the west side of the state much of the soil is more sandy/loamy so in certain areas we do actually dig some nice ones on occasion :-)

The solid buttons fair well for the most part here but the 2 piece hollow type pieces are the ones that have a hard time surviving around here. A lot of them come out of the ground with missing backs, broken shanks, caved in fronts, corroded, etc. We probably dig 1 good military button to every 20 of yours down south for an avg. :-( and as for military buckles - we probably dig one good one to every 50 of yours in the south as they are very hard to come by here. My buddies friend dug one last yr on an 1860s site we were diggin but there was only 70% of it remaining -- it was a union type puppy paw from the militia (small version) pre civil war -- late 1850s to around 1860/62...
April 18, 2014 07:47AM
Outstanding finds Wayne!

Now that's allot of digging you sure had a productive day!

Thanks for sharing your finds Wayne!
Paul (Ca)
April 18, 2014 10:55PM
Hope your planning on an encore at the corn fields.

Congrats on the finds.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
April 19, 2014 12:15AM
Digs_alot Wrote:
> Hope your planning on an encore at the corn
> fields.
>
> Congrats on the finds.

Heading out in the morning for another round of diggin in the field/s.

I have a new spot to check on rgt down the road from this place 1st thing too -- I think it's a 1850s cabin site -- it's in a field where the road used to go thru but doesn't now so I'm hoping it was a cabin -- we'll see!

Will update

thanks again everyone

MRH
Wayne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2014 02:22AM by MichiganRelicHunter.