Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Another 1850s/60s Site Dig w/CTX 6" and Deus 9"

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Another 1850s/60s Site Dig w/CTX 6" and Deus 9"
April 20, 2014 12:56AM
Hey all.

got out again (today) with the CTX w/6" coil and the Deus w/9" coil in a site that's been pounded with the ETrac, a F75 LTD and the Deus on several occasions

but

after the frost comes out of the ground and things move around a bit - there's always something new to be found :-)

I tried out Keiths "Iron settings" on the CTX for a bit and found some bits & pieces of lead, copper, etc. but did manage a lead button, a nice shoe buckle and the large cent among all the iron!

Funny thing is though - while using "smooth" for response setting - you're supposed to listen for the low tones among the iron and ignore the high tones but when the coil swung over that LC - the high tone about blew my headphones off and I couldn't ignore the fact that the CTX was a dead lock on 12-42 / 12-43 so I knew it was something good and dug!

She's an 1854 :-)

Moving on.... after about an hr or so with the CTX I put it in the truck and fired up the Deus... and I gotta tell ya - I love that machine! It's a button magnet! I dug the Eagle button within 2 minutes and then not more than 2 minutes after that I dug the 1869 Indian Head ;-) after a few spoons, doodads, bits & pieces - I got a soft/faint 92 reading/sound indicating a deep good target so I plunged the Lesche Ground Shark to the hilt (12") and pried up a plug but nothing! Re-checked hole and still sounding off - dug about 2 more inches and out popped the engraved lead-back button with the initials!!

So - for anyone who says the Deus doesn't have any "depth" - I beg to differ on that opinion as that little button was over 12" deep and it's not even the size of a dime!

Pictures tell the rest of the story :-)

HH all

Re: Another 1850s/60s Site Dig w/CTX 6" and Deus 9"
April 20, 2014 01:04AM
Amazing hunt..congrats man
April 20, 2014 01:25AM
Wow! That '54 appears to be near uncirculated when lost.
April 20, 2014 01:27AM
Sweet digs Wayne!

Congrats
April 20, 2014 01:46AM
Wow! I really like to see all of these non-ferrous items...... as it is exactly the 'norm' of most areas. Those buttons have really good historic value.
April 20, 2014 03:35AM
I've got a farm field just yours to search Wayne, around 200yrs old. I'm thinking I may hit it next week, only decision is what machine to use....I'm thinking ill start w the LTD w 11" coil.

Aaron
April 20, 2014 04:05AM
Wish i could have stayed longer Wayne. Between my F75, your Deus and Etrac, I figured we had those spots cleaned out! At least until they are plowed.. Those field hunts have been pretty darned productive. Hopefully the cabin sites will treat us well next week. Nice haul man, those buttons are saaweet!!!
April 20, 2014 04:33AM
Your killing it !!!
April 20, 2014 04:48AM
Nice digs Wayne..

yes I only use that setting if the site is completely dead..

and since that large cent was there it wasnt ready for the Conductive smooth low tone only attack..

Only use that on a site that you've worked to death and just cant find anything and its full of iron.....

Till it gets to that point though please keep it in combined and just slide the ferrous bin to about 32 to low tone the nails...and it will run like a regular VLF...anytime youanot go after low tones only the site better be obliterated and you have to be in conductive only then...BUT MAKE SURE ITS HUNTED HARD FIRST..in that setting your trying to get those small items thats left that read in the bottom left...small lead...on edge items...small jewlery will get down there as will small coins if the iron is super bad...

I got a budy who left a CSA buckle lying in the ground by doing that..Glad he did though I got the buckle LOL!!!

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2014 04:55AM by Keith Southern.
April 20, 2014 11:56AM
Can I assume the EMI is bad at that location. Is that why the LTD might not do so well?
April 20, 2014 01:09PM
markg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can I assume the EMI is bad at that location. Is
> that why the LTD might not do so well?

Hey Mark

the F75 LTD belongs to my buddy TrippleHooked (see his post above)

I've used the E-Trac, Deus and now the CTX on this site while he's used the F75 (he's found some good stuff too).

we actually have about 10 sites all within a 5 mile radius that we've been working since last spring/summer and the EMI varies depending on which site we're working on - on any given day

one of them is so bad that I have to turn the sens down on the Deus to about 70 in order for it to run stable so you can only imagine how the F75 would run on that one!

I haven't tried the CTX there yet but I will be shortly (before the farmers plant) because -- I found a few nice buttons there last fall and an old CW Token but being so EMI infested - I know there's more stuff there that the Deus and E-Trac haven't hit on so I want to see if the CTX can run more stable and get better depth on that site VS the other machines
April 20, 2014 01:32PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Nice digs Wayne..
>
> yes I only use that setting if the site is
> completely dead..
>
> and since that large cent was there it wasnt ready
> for the Conductive smooth low tone only attack..
>
> Only use that on a site that you've worked to
> death and just cant find anything and its full of
> iron.....
>
> Till it gets to that point though please keep it
> in combined and just slide the ferrous bin to
> about 32 to low tone the nails...and it will run
> like a regular VLF...anytime youanot go after low
> tones only the site better be obliterated and you
> have to be in conductive only then...BUT MAKE SURE
> ITS HUNTED HARD FIRST..in that setting your trying
> to get those small items thats left that read in
> the bottom left...small lead...on edge
> items...small jewlery will get down there as will
> small coins if the iron is super bad...
>
> I got a budy who left a CSA buckle lying in the
> ground by doing that..Glad he did though I got the
> buckle LOL!!!
>
> Keith

Thanks Keith

I'll keep your advice in mind and put it to use at a later date on this site! I did see 1st hand how it works though - that little lead button shown in the picture next to the engraved button was found using your settings at about 5 inches deep. It came thru with a mid/low tone among all the iron so I can see where the settings will work on a worked out site where the last bits are way too masked for normal settings and other machines to hit on them -- pretty cool how that works but it's a strange way to hunt I must say (takes some getting used to)!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2014 01:35PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
April 20, 2014 03:50PM
markg Wrote:
> Can I assume the EMI is bad at that location. Is
> that why the LTD might not do so well?

Hey Mark,

The F75 has been doing quite well actually. I don't post much as my phone is crap and has a hard time posting pictures. I always run disc. at 6 but will bounce abound de, pf, and bp depending on ground and site conditions. I've been running the 11"coil and can usually keep the sens. in the 90's ( I have one of the good ones!:-)) I have been experiencing more issues with high tone iron blips on these sites than emi chatter. As Wayne was saying, there are a couple of sites that have high emi. On those sites (or any that I cannot get the 75 to calm down by 70 disc.) I'll switch to the 5" shooter coil, which has been no slouch in the finds dept. Actually the smaller coil has been my favorite, but there is a lot of ground we are trying to cover before the crops are in and the fields become off limits....

Sorry for high jacking the thread Wayne, had to give the F75 props for finding the goods!
April 20, 2014 05:00PM
How about that. I also found a large cent and an IH this weekend. The 1828 LC was in unbelievable condition....I think it was minted then dropped...I have to get a picture up on here.

Great finds MRH..you have some nice spots to hunt.
April 20, 2014 06:57PM
Thanks for sharing your recent hunt Wayne, Those sure are nice digs and you're right with the ground thawing out some of those finds had some movement.

Thanks again for sharing,

Paul (Ca)
April 21, 2014 12:35AM
Aaron Wrote:
> I've got a farm field just yours to search Wayne,
> around 200yrs old. I'm thinking I may hit it next
> week, only decision is what machine to use....I'm
> thinking ill start w the LTD w 11" coil.
>
> Aaron

If you want/need any help Aaron - just say the word! lol

You're in Michigan too? Or Ohio? Can't remember but I know I've seen you post it before ;-)
April 21, 2014 10:42PM
Another great field hunt.

Congrats on the finds.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
April 23, 2014 03:33AM
Awesome hunt.
Corey