Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Need help with a coil problem

Posted by wjs 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
wjs
Need help with a coil problem
April 20, 2014 11:22PM
I have a SEF coil for my V3i and when I plug it in and screw it down it will not work unless I move the cable around where it plugs into the detector. To me it seems like the wiring to the plug is not making good contact somewhere. I know its not the detector because I tried two more coils and they work fine. How hard would it be to remove the plug and check the wiring. I don't know if there is any warranty on the coil or not I have sent an email to the guy I bought it from.
Re: Need help with a coil problem
April 20, 2014 11:51PM
Most surely a wire has come loose...

if you have a soldering iron open it up and solder it back together..

Keith
wjs
April 21, 2014 01:01AM
I took the plug off but did not see any loose wires. It almost acts like the male connectors are not making good contact. Sometimes if I hold up on the plug or twist the wire it will work.
April 21, 2014 01:27AM
I would take it to an electronics shop as connections could be bad and still look good. They can resolder and check the specific connections for conductivity...In the old days when I hipmounted everything had this problem several times. Proper tools and skilled hands can work wonders and certainly not a job for the average guys as those connector pins are close together....
April 21, 2014 01:52AM
see if the ground lug is still attached...

it will be the piece that clamps around the coil cable to hold the connector on....

usually green it should be solderd to that piece of metal that connects to the plug fitting and also clamps around the cable at the other end when you slide the barrel connector back to expose the insides.....whites usually solders to that...

if it's not that is there silicone around the wires?.Whites uses silicone.. and it will be hard to tell...somewhere the wires could be unslodered or broke..it could be inside the insulation and still soldered..or it's twisitng too much and two of the wires are touching or the wire has some solder slag and its touching the outside housing of the connector..

Or it could be the clamp device I ws talkign about where the ground is attached copuld not be tight enough and when you tighten it it is twisting up...

lots of variables to consider.. but theres a malfunction...

And should be easily remedied...

wont cost you nothing but shipping.

Keith
wjs
April 21, 2014 11:39AM
I posted this on findmall and added some pics if you dont mind taking a look. Was that an offer to fix it for me Keith......Lol

[www.findmall.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 11:43AM by wjs.
April 21, 2014 01:11PM
Looking at your pictures it appears there was problems before and resoldered . Professional jobs are much neater and as I said in my earlier post needs some pro attention...
April 21, 2014 01:20PM
If the connector has female pins inside....... check to see that the female pin(s) did not open-up/expand too much............. causing a loose/no-connection to the male pins.
If they are male pins........ check to make sure they are not out-of-round....... or collapsed.
wjs
April 21, 2014 07:16PM
Thanks for the tips. I tried what people have suggested but still don't work.

I updated the pictures on findmall. I was looking at it again and there is no wire going to the number 3 pin. Is that normal?