Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

April Digs..... coinage and relics

Posted by docbars 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
April Digs..... coinage and relics
April 23, 2014 04:12AM
Hey all:
I thought I would show some of my April digs. The site I'am working dates back to 1813. This far is still owned and operated by the same family. In Ohio we call these "Century farms", still owned by the same family that originally settle it and must still be a working farm. Not a 2 cow farm but a typical ohio beef operations. The area I'am searching is all pasture field so I have to move in and around cattle and cow patties LOL. I used the Etrac and the DFX with the 6x10
Large Cents 1848,1838,2 no dates,no dateshield nickel,1852 3 cent time,no date IH,1898,1901 IH,buttons, 3 copper rings ,perfume funnel and more.
Notice the one larg cent is standing straight up in the hole. The shield gave me the worst signal, the trime was a tuffy as well. I like the squared hole large cent the best,tells a story.

Corey
G][/URL]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2014 04:17AM by docbars.
Re: April Digs..... coinage and relics
April 23, 2014 05:02AM
Good digs dude!
April 23, 2014 05:17AM
Nice group of artifacts there Doc :-)

Cool stuff!
April 23, 2014 10:09AM
Well done.
I'm waiting to see who finds a Half Eagle or Type-1/Type-2 $1 coin first. The area is correct. The era is also correct. It's just a matter of time.
Also waiting to see a 3-Cent nickel. Wait until you see what/how that ID's! Especially in real-world dirt conditions.
April 23, 2014 10:11AM
Nice....I wish copper would stay as nice as silver, that's how the LC's look out of the ground here in PA.........love the three center. Ha, I see you throw the pottery/china in the pouch too.
April 23, 2014 10:38AM
I have a question for all; Why do many old copper coins often have one side almost blank, while the other has detail? I have never taken notice which side is up or down.
April 23, 2014 12:02PM
Nice digs!!! WTG!!!
April 23, 2014 01:14PM
Unfortunately seems like they didn't have any silver to lose but a nice array of finds...Hunted a horse farm looking for sentimental gold bracelet lost by the owner but area was too large and never did find it. Horses are sure nosy critters and nudged me now and then and one even tried to bite my coil and well was a different kind of hunt...
April 23, 2014 04:26PM
A big congrats especially on that Trime, VERY hard coin to find....

Hey Dan- you sure that mare wasnt in season? ; )

Aaron
April 23, 2014 06:38PM
Nice finds for sure.
I dug an 1890 IH that has a square hole in it also. Always figured some little girls daddy took a square nail and poked a whole thru. It and made a braclet or necklace for her.
Pacman
April 23, 2014 11:35PM
When a coin is lost.... and becomes buried............................ the side of the coin that is facing up,,, is the side of the coin that receives the most oxidation/corrosion. The side of the coin that is facing down....... is exposed to the least 'weathering'..... subsequently, much less oxidation.
April 24, 2014 03:09AM
ozzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a question for all; Why do many old copper
> coins often have one side almost blank, while the
> other has detail? I have never taken notice which
> side is up or down.

You should see the IH cents coming out of the crop fields,the are normally toasted beyond recognition. Fertilizers are are really hard on the coppers.
April 24, 2014 03:16AM
I like your three center!!

the piece wiht the stem on it is a Saw nut..

Probably has an eagle on it and says sheffield...

Keith
April 24, 2014 10:14AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When a coin is lost.... and becomes
> buried............................ the side of the
> coin that is facing up,,, is the side of the coin
> that receives the most oxidation/corrosion. The
> side of the coin that is facing down....... is
> exposed to the least 'weathering'.....
> subsequently, much less oxidation.

I guess that explains why many farm field coppers are blank on both sides....they possibly get turned to toast the other side....or they are on edge most of the time.

Love seeing pottery in the ground...my buddy came upon/dug a complete tea saucer years ago...nice piece, gave it to his mom.
April 24, 2014 10:12PM
ozzie,

I'm hitting a old farm field next to my 200 farm this weekend, where I've found lots good stuff.

Hopefully I'll be finding similar stuff like you and Wayne.

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2014 10:13PM by Aaron.
April 24, 2014 11:12PM
The goodies are there, you know it and I know it........ Go with high hopes. Aaron, what unit are you thinking of using for the area?
April 24, 2014 11:30PM
That's a good question ozzie.....

I have briefly gone over a small part of the field and was finding alot of junk, old brass hardware from I don't know what and other typical junk from that type of area.

I'm for sure bringing the LTD and CTX.

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2014 11:31PM by Aaron.
April 26, 2014 09:43PM
Your 3 cent coin sure looks good compared to the large cents and nickels.

Nice finds.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil