Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Had A Field Day In The Field Today :-)

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Had A Field Day In The Field Today :-)
May 06, 2014 09:43PM
Hey all,

went back to the old 1850s thru 1950s school site again today for some diggin with the CTX and 11" coil this time,

they keep tilling the land and I keep diggin stuff up!

Weather was perfect for diggin today and the soil was freshly tilled/soft for like the 3rd time in the last 2 weeks now :-)

Hard believe the amount of stuff coming out of this site --- I haven't found a virgin old school site like this in at least 15 yrs or more but I'm not complaining!

Got a few buttons - one of them is a Yankee high dome eagle cuff civil war button, a shoe buckle, bent skool girl ring, copper hand made heart pendant, 2 injuns, 5 silvers including a Barber 1/4, a Washington, Roosevelt, Merc, and a war nickel, a clip of some sort, and 8 wheat pennies (1910s ~~ 1950s)

Pictures tell the story ;-)

HH all

The site

The good stuff box :-)

The spoils of my labor :-)

Here's a better picture of the Eagle Cuff Button

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2014 10:05PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
Re: Had A Field Day In The Field Today :-)
May 06, 2014 10:06PM
Thats an outstanding hunt! Good stuff man!
May 06, 2014 11:17PM
Hey awesome hunt. What a great site!

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
May 06, 2014 11:40PM
Good grief, what a haul!

I really like that Eagle button, sweet!

Congrats

Aaron
May 07, 2014 12:48AM
What an 'unsuspecting' field.
Stunning results.
Is there a mint mark on the 1894 Barber?
May 07, 2014 12:52AM
That's a 3 piece staff button..

nice find...

Keith
May 07, 2014 12:57AM
Nice hunting MRH. I wish they would turn all the fields. Around here they're skipping that step...new way of farming I guess.
May 07, 2014 02:02AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys - much appreciated :-)

Ozzie - they do a lot of "no till" here too but some of the farmers still do things the old skool way. Just so happens that this guy still tills his fields.

Thanks Keith - I knew you'd chime in with the correct button specs/type ;-)

Tom - the Barber 1/4 has an "S" mint mark... I guess in all the excitement I forgot to even look to see if there was one! And funny you should mention about the site being "unsuspecting" because it is very deceiving in the sense that you'd never guess anything was ever there. No remnants of any structures, no field-stones, no foundation, no trace of anything so without doing the research - you'd never even think that you'd ever find anything there!

Funny thing too is --- the 1st time I hunted the place after talking to the farmer that owns it is like 2 weeks back -- a guy pulled up and starts telling me about how he knew a school sat there and always wanted to detect the place but never seen anyone working the field and didn't know who owned it or how to get a hold of anyone to ask. I actually talked to him last yr down the road from there on another site I was working and he was telling me about the AT Pro he had just purchased but asking about the machine I was using too (the Deus) and when I told him how much it cost - he looked at me like I was nuts! lol Needless to say - he's not "seasoned" by any means but I thought it was kind of funny and thought I'd mention it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2014 02:10AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
May 07, 2014 03:11AM
Love the staff button. Great digs
Corey
May 07, 2014 04:06AM
Great site, great digs!!

Steve
May 07, 2014 11:59AM
Sweet digs!!! WTG!!!
May 07, 2014 03:05PM
docbars Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Love the staff button. Great digs
> Corey

Me too Corey --- just wish it was in better condition :-/

I'd rather have that (or one of them) in real nice cond. more so than any of the coins I found there so far.

I was talking about this in another post -- how here in Michigan -- it's hard to even find any Civil War buttons (I find maybe 5 or 6 per yr for an avg.) but 75% of the time they come out of the ground looking like the one shown here and a lot of times even worse. That's 3 out of 4 that are in crappy cond. so in reality - I only find maybe 2 per yr that are actually in nice cond.

The saddest part is though - we don't get to find the really rare ones like the guys in the south do -- ours are always the more common Yankee buttons!

Still fun to find though :-)
May 07, 2014 03:34PM
Very nice abundance of finds MRH,

Keep taping that site as long as you can, Bound to be more finds in there.

Have you tried hunting the surrounding area further away? Usually other structures are near by, Of different era too.

Congrats!
Paul (Ca)
May 07, 2014 05:48PM
Wayne if you hunt a lot of agricultural fields those buttons will look like that..

Those farmers spray those fields and fertilize those fields to death..

if you want better looking ones try woods sites...you can dig them out of wooded sites and they wont even be brittle..

im not very fond of hunting plowed fields //

Keith
May 07, 2014 09:54PM
Beautiful results and gives us all hope that there are still sites out there that can really produce! :-)

And as Tom said it was unsuspecting. Which, also describes my best site. Funny, I found a place near, but not t0o near a historic "monument". Everyone searched right near the "monument", if they had only went a few hundred yards away and let google maps be their guide. ;-)

Thanks for the inspiration, truly. Those sites are still out there.
Albert
May 07, 2014 10:51PM
Your field hunts are really paying off.

Congrats.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
May 08, 2014 01:16PM
MRH,
since it is a tilled field, I would suspect that the depth at which you found items varied all over the place? Can you describe what was the deepest and shallowest item depths and possibly how convinced you were of IDs before digging any?
Thanks

Rod - PA
Tom D calibrated F75 DST - so deep I pulled some Chinese coins using a hole in PA.
May 08, 2014 06:38PM
Rod-PA Wrote:
> MRH,
> since it is a tilled field, I would suspect that
> the depth at which you found items varied all over
> the place? Can you describe what was the deepest
> and shallowest item depths and possibly how
> convinced you were of IDs before digging any?
> Thanks

Rod

the depths were anywhere from a few inches to over a foot deep. The Barber 1/4 was over a foot deep -- I almost gave up diggin it as it was well over the 12" of the Lesche Ground Shark Blade in depth (gotta love E-Tracs and CTX's) :-)

The site is full of not only iron but also "Tin" type material which makes it a hard one to hunt.

The Deus did good for ID'ing the 1st time out there and the CTX did good when using the 6" coil on the 2nd trip out but nothing ID'd exactly where it normally would on either machine due to the high vol. of iron/tin scrap.

The real challenge though was when I switched over to the CTX with the stock 11" coil --- that's when nothing read good at all and I had to use tonal ID more than anything (especially) when hitting on the buttons

I don't know if it's just the site or if the CTX has a hard time with buttons using the stock coil because none of them were stable ID on the screen and the target trace reported them as complete junk -- in fact -- they read exactly like the Tin scrap reads on the site so unless I wanted to leave stuff for the next guy - I had to dig it all (above nail grunting anyway). The numbers were jumping all over and the target trace was showing a scattered pattern on screen for every single button I dug when using the 11" coil -- but -- not when using the smaller 6" -- they ID'd fairly well when using that one.

As for the coins -- most of them were reading a few #s off and some of them were co-located with iron/etc. so they didn't sound or read anywhere like they normally would.

I think I dug maybe 3 or 4 coins that I was absolutely sure were coins and the rest were a "gamble" as for VDI readout but I relied on tone/sound when encountering those :-)

Hope this helps answer your questions

HH
May 09, 2014 03:47AM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> docbars Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Love the staff button. Great digs
> > Corey
>
>
> Me too Corey --- just wish it was in better
> condition :-/
>
> I'd rather have that (or one of them) in real nice
> cond. more so than any of the coins I found there
> so far.
>
> I was talking about this in another post -- how
> here in Michigan -- it's hard to even find any
> Civil War buttons (I find maybe 5 or 6 per yr for
> an avg.) but 75% of the time they come out of the
> ground looking like the one shown here and a lot
> of times even worse. That's 3 out of 4 that are in
> crappy cond. so in reality - I only find maybe 2
> per yr that are actually in nice cond.
>
> The saddest part is though - we don't get to find
> the really rare ones like the guys in the south do
> -- ours are always the more common Yankee
> buttons!
>
> Still fun to find though :-)

I hear ya,I will normally find a few CW buttons and the ones in the fields come out pretty rough but the ones I find in the woods are nicer. There has been a couple of guys on the buckeyetreashurehunters forum that have found the big union US buckles in the fields, but the plow bends them up good.
I enjoy hunting the field sites but so far this year just about all my LC's and IH 's are pretty toasted. The old silvers hold up but most of the time the coppers are thrashed. It is weird sometimes how you will find a toasted LC then a few minutes later you will find a sweet looking 2center. Lol. You just never know I guess.
HH
Corey