Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Gold Coin on the Beach

Posted by DrJoeprime 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Gold Coin on the Beach
June 18, 2014 01:48AM
I've been metal detecting for 7 years now and I thought I was prepared for everything. WRONG!!

After a number of false alarms (most notably a Brazilian coin) I Got a GOLD COIN!! I took it in my hand and stared at it..definitely Gold and definitely a Gold Coin! The back had something soldered to it..perhaps making a cufflink or a broach? Still...it's a Gold Coin and it's my first and I Love it! So excited I really couldn't detect any more until I told someone so I called my detector buddy. I couldn't tell him more than Yes it's a gold coin, No I can't tell the country or date...it's a GOLD COIN!!

OK..breath ... ( can you tell I'm excited?) OK.. this was at my local beach..been there a couple dozen times. It was about 6" deep in the wet sand and a nice strong signal with my Garrett ATX.

The coin is a Mexican dos y medio peso Gold coin dated 1945..just a little over 2 grams.

Next on my list is a USA Gold Coin (of any denomination)...one can (and should) dream.

Joe (California)

Re: Gold Coin on the Beach
June 18, 2014 01:52AM
Man that is nice.
June 18, 2014 02:29AM
Awesome

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
June 18, 2014 02:57AM
Awesome find. Congrats
Corey
June 18, 2014 03:19AM
good job!!
June 18, 2014 03:42AM
Now there's a: Life Long Memory created!

Congrat's!
June 18, 2014 03:58AM
Sweetness! You may have gotten it just in time before it sank past detection. WTG.
June 18, 2014 04:24AM
Right on Joe!!
June 18, 2014 02:32PM
Nice!! Talk to a coin dealer and they might be able to clean it.

Rick
June 18, 2014 03:09PM
Sweet!!!! WTG!!!!
June 18, 2014 04:06PM
Thanks all for your comments...much appreciated.

I smile every time I look at that first photo...it's so HUGE! Actually the coin is a bit smallee than a dime but it sure has a nice heft to it. Here's a comparison photo with a dime. It brings the actual size back down to earth.

June 18, 2014 05:51PM
WTG Joe,

That is a rare find, And a cherished moment for a lifetime.

Congrats,
Paul (Ca)
June 18, 2014 06:24PM
Great find...

Congrat's..

do you think it was on a piece of Jewelry...

A woman i work with wears a sovereign on her necklace passed though her family....its like 1870's

Keith
June 18, 2014 07:05PM
AWESOME dig, DrJoe!

SUPER!

The pinnacle of coin finds, IMO -- a gold coin! LOVE it!

Steve
June 18, 2014 10:12PM
Superb find.
Good luck on detecting a U.S. gold coin.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
June 19, 2014 04:34AM
Totally Awesome!

Aaron
June 19, 2014 09:54AM
Congratulations!! Sweet Find! I would have to set down after that one and take in the moment...
June 19, 2014 10:23AM
Nice find, congrats and welcome to the gold coin club! I found my only gold coin on the beach as well, an 1892 Sovereign, back in 2008 and it was probably same as yours - a piece of jewelry that broke loose from the bracelet or pendant it was mounted on because you can see the solder marks on the edge. If I can find a picture of it, I'll post it later. As you know, it doesn't matter what the circumstances you find one, a gold coin is an awesome find. Hopefully there are more out there for you!
June 19, 2014 10:37AM
Here it is. I can still remember thinking 'another nitro, this has to be a fake' because you just don't find gold coins on the beach... you can just see the jagged solders on the top of the coin.

June 19, 2014 02:38PM
AWESOME, Gary!

Got a pic of the back?

Steve
June 20, 2014 10:45AM
Think that is the back. Here's the "heads".

June 20, 2014 01:34PM
Beautiful coin, Gary! Thanks!

Steve
June 20, 2014 01:51PM
Congrats on a super find...One never knows and know of one fellow that found two U.S.A. versions in one field. 23 years for me and the closest I came was a token that looked like a one dollar variety..
June 20, 2014 03:59PM
I guess that solder melted off easily?
June 26, 2014 09:35PM
Now that is the find of a lifetime!!! Congratulations to both of you for finding a gold coin. Hope I am so fortunate one day as to dig one up...Stuart