Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Looking at buying Whites v3i or CTX3030..Your Thoughts Pls

Posted by wolfau 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Looking at buying Whites v3i or CTX3030..Your Thoughts Pls
July 14, 2014 05:18AM
HI guys,

I decided that I am going to buy a high end machine where
it can produce the goods and process targets fast.

I have narrowed it down to 2 machines. I am thinking of buying a whites v3i or a ctx 3030.

At one point I did have a look at the XP DEus as well.

Any suggestions or preferences from your end?

Your replies would be appreciated.

Thank You

Joe
Re: Looking at buying Whites v3i or CTX3030..Your Thoughts Pls
July 14, 2014 11:25AM
CTX 3030
wjs
July 14, 2014 12:04PM
I have owned both. If I could only take one it would be the 3030.
July 14, 2014 12:29PM
Does anyone know where i can read about the 3030 target screens and
How identifying targets from good and bad works On the 3030?

Thanks

Joe
July 14, 2014 12:31PM
I have owned both also & my choice of those two would easily be the CTX.
July 14, 2014 12:35PM
Where will most of your hunting be done ? If any type of water hunting is involved, CTX.

The V3i does have it's advantages, and more coil options ( at reasonable prices....the CTX coils are expensive).
July 14, 2014 02:28PM
Have not used the CTX yet. A friend had one and we compared targets with my Etrac . Etrac would hit everything the CTX hit,at least on that day.(fairground)
I now have a V3i (3months) This machine is pretty sweet and very sensitive. It is a very versital machine which will come in handy. Runs good in iron,better then I thought it would. You can run the RD fast like a F75 In the nails beds or slow the RD for the open fields sites ect. Target info is top notch. The machine has a lot of potential and is easy to pick up. Most folks thinks it is a hard machine but heck,if you can figure a smart phone out the v3i will be a breeze. I will say this,"that this machine is way underrated". I know Minelabs are darn good machines. I really liked the Etrac and loved my f75 but I think this v3i may be able to replace both machines for the most part.

The V3i made an impressive find yesterday in a hayfield. This was once a town. Lots of deep iron. Everything is deep. ( needs plowed)The V pulled a FE cent out of a hole with some old fence wire. 6 inches plus the grass height. Gave good solid vdi, but was jumping some probably due the wire.
GL HH
Corey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2014 02:43PM by docbars.
July 14, 2014 02:47PM
docbars Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is a very versital
> machine which will come in handy.

Corey, that is a very good point. The V3i is very versatile. DD or concentric coils, multi or single frequency, ability to ID strength of signal by conductivity, multiple filters to choose from, etc.

It can be an out of the box unit or one where every little thing can be tweaked. Wireless headphone option too.

The CTX and V3i compliment each other very well. Hard to choose in terms of performance/features, so in my opinion, it boils down to what type of hunting a person will be doing in order to pick between the two.
July 14, 2014 03:10PM
Owned/used both and the CTX hands down for old deep coinage . The added benefit of being water proof is just icing on the cake for me .
July 14, 2014 03:24PM
I have a V3 for sale..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
July 14, 2014 03:43PM
Not to interrupt the thread but Docbars,,,, flying eagle cent?....was it in good shape or, the key date?....great find!
July 14, 2014 05:24PM
ozzie Wrote:
> Not to interrupt the thread but Docbars,,,,
> flying eagle cent?....was it in good shape or, the
> key date?....great find!

It was a 1857. I will post pic later? It is kind of rough looking. It is the 3rd FE cent this year. The one I found back in feb looks like a 1856 but in really bad shape and I think I can just make out the 6 on it buy could be an 8. Lol.
Corey
July 14, 2014 06:51PM
docbars Wrote:
> ozzie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Not to interrupt the thread but Docbars,,,,
> > flying eagle cent?....was it in good shape or,
> the
> > key date?....great find!
>
>
> It was a 1857. I will post pic later? It is kind
> of rough looking. It is the 3rd FE cent this
> year. The one I found back in feb looks like a
> 1856 but in really bad shape and I think I can
> just make out the 6 on it buy could be an 8. Lol.
>
> Corey

Wow, 3rd one this year.---Congratulations Corey---That's one that is still on my "wish list"!---------Del
July 14, 2014 08:53PM
If I had to pick between the 2

I'd opt for the ctx with all 3 ML coils (6, 11, and 17) but I do believe coiltek makes a 10" elliptical DD coil for them now too.

The water "proof" feature is the deal breaker against the V3i for me mainly (that and I had an Etrac so I know the performance of high end Minelabs) and what to expect.

The "Target Trace" feature is very useful too -- saves you from diggin a lot of junk!
July 14, 2014 09:24PM
I would take an MXT over a V3i any day of the week. Why did you rule out the xp deus?
July 15, 2014 12:15AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I did think about the xp deus but was not sure about
The depth capabilities of the machine.

The ctx in Australia is around $2500 us and all you get is
The machine, battery and charger, wireless headphone
And coil.

In the us you guys get better deals.

What is the qaulity like on the ctx eg where cable meets
Shaft underneath near the bottom?

Would you guys suggest an xp deus instead?

Feel free to reply with yiur preference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2014 12:21AM by wolfau.
July 15, 2014 01:49AM
Hi Wolfau,

Its horses for courses with the ctx and the v3i. If you are setting up a coin program to use here in OZ for all our decimal coins 5c,10c, 20c,50c, $1, $2 and our pre-decimals then the the v3i has the ability to be way ahead over the e-trak and the ctx.

For instance if you get a aluminium screw cap which is the same value as the $1, $2 with the the same signature with the v3i you cant seperate it with the ctx or e-trak. But if you flick to a second program v3i using 2.5 frequency you will not get the screw caps with the v3i. The ctx and the e-trak have more depth but the ability of the v3i to program it has more moves than the ctx and e-trak put toghether as you can get it much tighter.

Any detector is only as good as the person programing it. I have had the v3 since it was released over 4 years and of all the detectors i have used in 36 years of detecting the v3 would have to be the best detector i have ever used. So many guys i have seen just have not got the paitence to learn to set the beepa up to its best advantage and they give it the flick. Once you have your programs set up then you dont have to touch them again.

Hope this is a help from o2findit Down Under In OZ.
July 15, 2014 01:57AM
Here's a decent review of the two, (and a little on the T2 ). Best of luck, I don't think you could go wrong either way.

[www.findmall.com]
July 15, 2014 03:31AM
You guys rock.

I wonder if Mr Southern has gone fishing smiling smiley

Its amazing most of our US counterparts prefer the Aussie designed Minelab while some US counterparts and some Aussies prefer the US made Whites v3i.

In reference to coin depth I am not sure if this is going to be an issue because most coins I have found including a late 1860's penny was buried no more than 6
or so inches.

02findit I am going to make a decision probably tomm and might be tempted to go for a drive and pick it up.

Would you share with me a few programs you have?

Thanks Again guys.
July 15, 2014 03:34AM
My research before getting the CTX indicated to me that people found:

The v3i, heavy, ackward, many menu levels can be confusing, unsure of best setup, poorer target ID past 6", poorer depth past 7" on coins, depth worsened in mineralized ground, worse in and around iron, more erratic target ID, worse depth in 3 freq mode, and not waterproof.

I'm certain there are v3i users that would disagree, but that was where the reviews led me. Your own soil conditions will make a big difference on overall performance.

Johhnyanglo
July 15, 2014 05:11AM
Hi Guys,

If you are a person who is not savy with computers and is not prepaired to put the time in to absorb and learn then get the ctx. If you want to dig a lot more unwanted targets when cherry picking get the ctx. As for weight the v3i is the lightest at 4 lbs, the e-trak 4.8 lbs and the ctx 5.2 lbs. Because the v3i has a lot more settings and discrimination from -95 through +95 it is lot more tighter in discrimination. You cannot just wipe out a detector if you have not put in the miles to learn it its taken me 4 years to really know how it operates.

As for depth we have total different soils to the states in fact we have the worst minerialisation in the world by far. Most of our coins here are from surface to 5 inches at the most on modern and old coins. And with any detector the deeper you go the less accurate they are with vdi.

The whites detectors are just so well built and their service is just unreal. I have used many models of minelab but their quality on the ctx and the sdc2300 have got problems. Its all up to the user and you have to be a user not reading what other people are telling you because they may not be full bottle on using the detector to its best advantage.

Regards O2findit from Down Under In OZ.
July 15, 2014 05:43AM
o2findit Wrote:

> For instance if you get a aluminium screw cap
> which is the same value as the $1, $2 with the the
> same signature with the v3i you cant seperate it
> with the ctx or e-trak. But if you flick to a
> second program v3i using 2.5 frequency you will
> not get the screw caps with the v3i.

Even if these have been flattened and squashed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2014 05:44AM by wolfau.
July 15, 2014 08:18AM
Hands down the CTX 3030!

Walt,

From the GA-FL line

Silver microMax, CTX 3030, Excal 2, ATPro
July 15, 2014 09:52AM
I never liked the Whites philosiphy of all those adjustments. You can change anything you want or need to. In fact I spent more time adjusting than hunting. If I got skunked on a hunt I always wondered if it was the way I adjusted the machine. This was with the XLT. I have never owned or used a V3. I imagine that there are people out there that just plain kick butt with the V3. But like I said. I want to hunt. Not adjust. CTX for me. If I didn't salt water hunt I would use the Deus. The new 11 inch coil makes it very competitive on the depth issue. But that is me. Weight is becoming more of an issue. And I like pulling targets from iron. The Deus is best at those two things. I will leave you with this. A top of the line detector will probably pull a few more targets from those old sites. But it will never find enough to pay for itself at those old sites that you hunted to death already. Only get a top of the line detector if you plan on hunting all the time and have sites in mind and a bunch line up. Or it becomes a 1500.00 dust collector very quickly.
July 15, 2014 05:52PM
How many even very serious detectorist want to spend 4 years to learn/become proficient with a new machine ??? Get a CTX and start doing well the first few weeks instead of always wondering if you have all the many settings adjusted optimally for the first few years you are using/learning it .
July 15, 2014 06:00PM
Some guys love fiddling around with their unit....metal detector that is.
July 15, 2014 10:09PM
There is not much difference in either machine. The technologies is the only major difference. The adjustments that you would make on the V3i are the same adjustment that you would make on the CTX. From adjusting Senitivity to loading a pattern there is no difference.If you modify your pattern it is no different then modifying the V's pattern, see no difference.. Both machines can be turn on and go, See no difference. You can evan fiddle with your own patterns/programs. No difference. . I have no ideal why so many folks are spooked by the V3i. Most of it is misinformation just like the folks slamming the CTX when it first came out. I have no ideal which would be the better machine then the next guy. Everyone has to try them for thereselves in the end.

p.s.
One thing for sure is the V3i has the ctx beat on the color screen LOL.

Corey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2014 10:18PM by docbars.
July 16, 2014 12:55AM
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

o2findit is correct in what he says.

In australia our $1 and $2 coins and aluminium screw caps fall
Under the same detecting zone on a detector, they sound and
Id the same. This is a huge issue especially if you want to
Cherry pick on a good spot the $1 and $2 coins.

Let me stick up for the us made v3i. It aint gonna take me 4
Years to figure out. At most maybe 5 hours after some home
Tests where a few different programs can be developed.

So if a detector can help eliminate beer bottle steel caps and
Aluminium screw caps thats the majority of crap besides the
Canslaw thats not going to be dug up. If each trip you find 30
Of these items thats a saving or around 20 minutes for each
Detecting trip.

In australia our coins are not deep. I have never found coins
Deeper than 6" in grass areas.

The difference in price between both is around $800 that includes
Wireless headphones for both units. Add the added weight into the
Mix as well along with the aluminium screw cap issue by running the
Machine at 2.5khz and i think i have my answer.

The other thing as well is affordable coil choices available for the
v3i plus if the screen gets scratched that can be replaced plus i
Can add coins to my program with a name i can type in for each
Target so its a true custom program.

Thanks to those who replied especially with in depth answers.

o2findit i have sent you a message and thanks for sharing you
Metal detecting passion with us.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2014 04:53AM by wolfau.
July 16, 2014 01:12AM
V3i would be great for what you just described. It will hit 6 inches easy and the three frequency, polar plot, sizing features are great for cherry picking.
July 16, 2014 02:35AM
I have to agree the V3i should work great for 6" or shallower and or modern coinage that you have in Australia. I believe you will be very happy with it for the type of detecting you describe. As far as the weight I find the CTX to be better balanced . Also if Whites would take that wide metal box and turn it up on edge the ergonomics would be vastly improved as the wide box causes many of us to have to hold the machine to far out from under our elbows away from our side causing arm and shoulder issues when you swing it 8 to 10 or more hours a day . Let us not forget the emi issues either as I have a couple of great sites that the V3i was all but useless at while the FBS machines run smooth and quiet ......

Very much looking forward to your review once you get it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2014 02:35AM by silverhound.