Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Cheap Metal Detector Pretty Darn Good

Posted by Hungarian 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Cheap Metal Detector Pretty Darn Good
July 19, 2014 07:52PM
JNL Bounty Hunter VLF2.1 Metal Detector sells for only $58.16 at Walmart. Response time is decent and I can name several detectors it can beat...lol. Guy doing this video did a good job. What is neat is the detector hitting the coin between the two nails being discriminated out. It looks like the coin is touching the nails and he gets a response in both directions of the swing.

[youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2014 07:59PM by Hungarian.
Re: Cheap Metal Detector Pretty Darn Good
July 20, 2014 01:01PM
Hey I started with a flea market radio shack and over a 100 units and 23 years later when I think back indeed wasn't a bad unit.. In the right hands all units will find treasure and anyone starting out should start this way and move up the line. and move up the line. Indeed many start but few continue for years like post of the forum...
July 20, 2014 04:03PM
Yep those "cheap" Bounty Hunters work very well. My son got the BH Jr for his fifth birthday. It was the first detector I used. The first time we took it to the park found a 1901 V nickel. Still the only V nickel I've dug. My boy will be 7 next month and that little BH got me hooked. Of course now I have detectors that cost a lot more than $60, but that BH found wheat pennies, silver coins, and that V in a park that's been hunted for years.

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
July 20, 2014 06:54PM
Hard to believe,But the first Bounty Hunters were considered top of the line unit's in the good ole 70's and 80's. The RED BARON and Big Bud Pro are a few that come to mind. I guess it is good they are still around even though a little cheaper and plasticy.
July 28, 2014 12:44PM
I started with the Discovery 3300 I bought at RadioShack and it's made by Bounty hunter. I found some GREAT finds with that detector. It had a lot of features for the price, was it an AT Pro or a CTX, no, but did it let me find some good stuff and realize I love treasure hunting, absolutely and if I found this wasn't my thing I would not have been out a lot of money. There's def a spot for these detectors, I mean any hobby you can think of no one usually starts with the best most expensive gear out there.
August 01, 2014 11:01AM
I have a VLF2 and while it certainly isn't built like a top level detector, it's a lot of bang for the buck for under $60. I put silicone where the coil wire enters the coil and use it to hunt in shallow creeks for Civil War items. It'll go about six inches for Civil War bullets, but most of what I find is just wedged in rocks along riffles. If I drop it in the water it's not much of an investment lost.
The discriminator is touchy but excellent. The deeper the item is the lower the volume of the beep, and it has no headphone jack, but I'm happy with it. As you can see in the video, it does have very fast recovery speed.
August 06, 2014 02:17PM
I agree and have in the past been scoffed at on other forums for saying this same thing,but cheap doesn't mean it want find good targets sometimes at good depths to boot..You gotta think what is a cheap machine now is better than a lot of high dollar machines from the 70's and 80's..
August 08, 2014 03:38AM
We have come a long way with detector capabilities since the 70's. Depth and size of targets one can detect. Id also. I love my mxt screen. Its addicting, the vdi numbers, iron probablilty, etc. I had a Red Baron SPD when they first came out, wowie, that thing was a silver coin getter, harder you swung the deeper it would detect to about 5-6", it was my first motion detector also, before that it was TR mode. Found a lot of coins with that detector, then back to Whites after that machine.