Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Here is a pleasant surprise.

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Here is a pleasant surprise.
July 21, 2014 03:58PM
A friend, to whom I gave all of my ferrous scrap, was going through it and found where I have found an old riffle barrel. I have no ID books. I guess that I never thought that Id get so lucky. The friend of mine dated it from 1790 to 1850. Ha has been in this for 30 years. He started with an old military mine detector back in the old days of detecting. But I cherish a second opinion.

My friend called it an old smoothbore. I thought: "old shotgun"........but I have seen some mighty thin rifle barrel muzzles at Confederate Shows (or rather....the ONE that I went to....). I'd just like to get some more feedback if I might. I know of a few Civil War historians that frequent this board. I THOUGHT that I was getting somewhat proficient......but then this relic, which I dug and tossed into the junk, pops up......RE-found by the friend that I gave all of the iron junk to. He gave it back to me and told me that it was mine. But I told him that I only wanted to research it, and try to get a positive ID and then....it was all his. After all......it would only be fair and plus I like this old chap. He's a great guy. Wouldn't hurt a fly. Anyway.......I am obliged for any help.
PS: Should get my Used G2 in today. I found some new spots while putting out salt for deer that might be some good remote Confederate campsites...on my own hunting property. How cool is that.
Re: Here is a pleasant surprise.
July 21, 2014 04:16PM
It's a shotgun....niece piece...I've dug quite few over the years...a smooth bore is still a thicker even though it's not rifled..

Old homesites and military sites in the South are littered with shotgun parts..i think if you watch a video I recorded Kevin of the Deeptech RG I actually dig one of those up on camera..

Nice find probably sawed off for a confederate Cavalry trooper..was double barreled two I bet...

Congrats..

Keith
July 21, 2014 04:33PM
Very nice Kevin, And I like you way of thinking (finds going back to property owner).

Congrats!
Paul
July 21, 2014 09:00PM
I appreciate the feedback guys. Yes.......that barrel steel is mighty thin to be a rifle I am going to go ahead and set up my homemade electrolysis apparatus and give the relic a proper treatment followed by a preserving coat of Ballistol or another mild anti-moisture substance.
Any suggestions for what to treat the surface of this relic with after I have applied the electrolysis treatment??? I recall using some kind of spray oil (gun oil of some type.....maybe Rem-oil..... on the cannonball frags that I electrolysized.
Well......it's just 84 degrees today. I think I will take my new (used) TEK G2 to a new locale today and see if the stars are in alignment. (I don't really believe that astrology stuff.....just a figure of speech) for me. Since I sold my Predator shovel.......and my Lesche digging dagger.......I am going tp have to start like I did when I first started detecting. I went to Ace Hardward and bought what they call a Floral shovel. It has a small head (about the size of a trenching tool......which I also have) but it has a long handle. I use to could cut some clean plugs with one of them. Quickly. Have to admit.....being a part of the salvation of historical relics is exciting.......and contrary to what the University Archaeological societies think.......hobby detecting has saved many MANY more relics than they have. JMO (I feel no ill will towards them even though they hardly ever have much good to say about the hobby detectorists) Makes me hunt all the harder. Happy hunting....and THANKS AGAIN for the feedback and ID guys. I'll post a pic of the relic after the electrolysis on this same thread for anyone who wishes to look. Then I will return the relic to my buddy.