Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Lawrenzo Heres a live hunt I did today with the 3.2 DEUS (video) IRONMAN program added 8/19/14

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I hope I captured some info for you in this video..

Watch at the 24:00 minute mark for a target like you asked about...it reads right at disc setting 6.....I.D. is 6.. out of the ground its upper 80's

[www.youtube.com]

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2014 02:42AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Lawrenzo Heres a live hunt I did today with the 3.2 DEUS (video)
August 15, 2014 10:39AM
I'm impressed. Great video of the deus's separation abilities...thank you Keith.
August 15, 2014 12:15PM
When I hunt iron like that I usually end up with a pouch of iron and one or two targets. I'm glad to see somebody else do it too. Because some of those edges on large iron sound too good not to dig. I have seen numbers pulled down on my Deus by surrounding targets. I think the Brits have it right. Set it up and put the remote in your pocket. I appreciate the video. I think I am pretty good with the Deus. I have had three of them. But I always learn something.
August 15, 2014 04:43PM
Glad you got something from it...

Now heres the most important thing I can stress personally on the 3.2....Its more intelligent in iron than the 2.0...And right off the bat you will notice more reliable usable depth in mineral when using 3 reactivity...

On the 2.0 DEUS when pushing into the 3 reactivity the targets of rejected items falsing souned too much like a legitimate good target...Audio become too clippy....

thye have worked on the Audio on 3.2 cleaned it up so to say...the 3 or 4 can work the densest of iron now with intelligence...the higher reactivity makes the machine faster and separate better in iron trash or even any sort of trash....

I still feel the GMP standalone is aligned better to the freq(barely)...but with what Im encountering in the field with the 3.2 in iron the GMP cant relay ..the GMP is not as fast as the DEUS 3.2 ..used to the 2.0 and GMP were equal in separation and pushing the 2.0 reactivity higher in iron had no advanatge because of the noise factor...not so now we can hunt lightning fast even warp speed...

I never thought a downloadable program could change the actual core feel of a unit...well it has..And another thing Im glad i have time on a GMP and a 2.0 DEUS and allowed time to lapse between the 2.0 and now 3.2...it makes it easier to see the advanatge opf the 3.2 vs the 2.0 becasue I ahd not become used to the 2.0 to the point of taking a stubborn not going to change approach...

if you have a 2.0 version and are on the fence abpout the 3.2 ..DONT BE...,give it a chance to prove itself..it really is stellar...

the DEUS in iron is very how should I say REASSURING....I lpove being able to run a machine that you know it mesh's with your thought process and want's....

I do feel the DEUS has arrived in full glory with the update...All my previous quirps I had with it are a thing of the past..

ITS THE BEST MACHINE I HAVE EVER USED IN IRON>>>I do honestly have that in my gut feeling...You can just tell by the information it relays..Nothing else is talking to you in iron like this unit...

If any new software version comes our way I can only welcome it...

Keith
August 16, 2014 02:56AM
How "ironic" ,lol. Just made a deal on a deus. Will be needing all the info I can get. You ever try that gold program Keith? Nevada Chris report on it was the decision maker for me. Hoping the deus will take the place of several detectors,plus the portability is a big plus..I like to hike into remote canuons to detect. Keep the Deus vids coming Keith! Ray
August 16, 2014 03:44AM
your reacticity is 3 what was your disc and what freq are you using on the video...I can hear the sound mixed with iron on the horse shoe. I like shoes because they can be tools. What I like is that I'm use to those sounds my ear is trained for that but my At Gold has of course a hard time getting a mix of iron and a good target.It seems when you get a mix of iron and a tone and then break up the dirt it gives you a better idea of what you have and then when you dug the shot gun shell it could have been a button or coin so you have to dig that stuff. I'm also wondering on your machine what you false tones are if you dug them. I hear iron and a tone mixed in together but you can't isolate the high tone. I would wonder if it just can't seperate them or if it is iron? even no you have dug some shot gun shells it still shows how well it likes to take the two targets and seperate them. I'm wondering if you change the freq on some of that false targets will it change what you are hearing. I hear some guys hunt in relic mood with a freq of 8 most use a 12 not many have used the 18 freq...Great video thanks for you time and great wisdom

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 16, 2014 07:08PM
Hey Ray..glad you got one...

Yes Ray I have tried the Goldfield program...

I think the more the Nuggethunters give i a chance the more we will hear...Heres what I do notice even it disc mode....I can dig the smallest of targets in bad soil that I have never experienced before not even with a say LOBO,705,G2, etc. on high freq's...Just yesterday I dug a piece of lead in disc mode that was about 3 inches deep in red soil f.e. bars on the DEUS were 3/4 full and it was the size of a grain of rice split in half longways...very very impresive to hear somthing like that..

also I might ad if you do choose to use the goldfield mode it is true threshold based all metal mode with the added bonus of small iron disc ..it will null small iron with a 0-5 progressive setting....the higher you turn it up the deeper it disc small nails in all metal...

I seriously think once the prospectors get on with it it may be even more of a threat to the crossover detectors the manufacturers are pushing like MXT,AT's,705,Lobo,G2.etc...

A G2 cant hear what the DEUS can hear in bad soil in small target size and let you know if its iron or not..

the XP's have an uncanny ability to PUNCH bad dirt like no other VLF I have ever seen...

Keith
August 16, 2014 07:38PM
Hey Lawrenzo let me see if I can answer some questions...

Im on 18Khz...-1 silencer (a must for unlocking intermingled target's)....disc is on 6.3 at this spot....sens 98...iron volume 3...2 tone only ..I habe the iron low as it will go on Hz tone and high tone high as it will go on Hz tone...manual ground bal...set as 84...F.e. meter about 3/4s of the way up the scale...harsh dirt...

thats was a live hunt in a spot Lawrenzo, you saw every target I dug good or bad...I did not hide anything or remove anything except I did not show you me digging the iron buckle...What's funny is I have fined toothed that area with a GMP,G2,705,AT-PRO,Tejon, all in sleuthy modes too..yet I only ran over there to let you here sopme tones on a hunt close to the house...and actually found things in about 45 minute's...thats how good the 3.2 is in intellignet audio...

the iron falses you can tell in person they are falsing...I have dug enough of them to know...I choose not to waste time on them...I just rtied to capture what I thought would be of instructional use...

18Khz will be your best freq for unmasking as will fast reactivity an silncer turned to -1...the othert freqs like 12 and such wont energize those very hard to hear low condcutors like brass the best copmapred to 18...relic hunters using the 8 and 4 are looking for depth out away from thick iron lawrenzo...and they will benefit on those freq with a slower reactivity also...

Heres how to look at it Lawrenzo....You want to get the msot out of a site in the shortst amount of time and if a site is dead already and not producing the DEUS is going to be the no brainer for that...

Some people wont use them for the price and thats understanable believe me...but at the same time if you look at the options available and the QUALITY of the product and DEDICATION being put into it then is it really that high of a product...epsecially if it gets items out of the dirt that other machines cant to begin with....And also and this is BIG... the updates can change the platform.And it's like getting a new machine all over....Im sure one day there may be charged updates for certain added feature set one may want but at the same time...The quality of the product is basically in a leauge of its own on multiple levels...

Im big on getting the most out of my dollar..from vehicles to electronics to about anythng else...and at times it may cost more to begin with but the service life and less down time more efficient finds rates needs to be factored in...

Like My dad alway's told me you get what you pay for...

And if your serious about unlocking a site to its fullest potential at the moment I see no better VALUE than a 3.2 DEUS..Shop around you can get some great prices on them New...

Keith
August 16, 2014 09:49PM
Hey Keith,Im buying Waynes unit. Its a year and a half old. How can I tell if its 3.2 or not. Does it show on screen?I think Wayne said he did NOT do any updates.

Ill let you know how it does on gold. Its going to be hard to part with the gb pro...that is the best vlf nugget machine Ive ever used. But when Nevada Chris reported the Deus trumped his gb pro,that was the ticket for me. I want to stick with one main vlf for all around,and have a minelab and tdi already. Ray
August 16, 2014 10:57PM
Ray, when you turn on the headphones it will show the version.

I see your making room for it.

Good luck with the new unit.

El
August 16, 2014 11:33PM
Thank you El.
August 16, 2014 11:53PM
I plan on doing some hunting on sights that I have hunted for years with every machine I could get my hands on. It keeps getting harder because I think what is left is masking of iron and good targets. This may open up the sight more for me. I'll try and do a video in the early fall when the days get cooler. Thanks Keith I think you may have sold a few Deus just from your excitment and video..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

August 17, 2014 01:17AM
Hey Ray as El said, it will flash up on the controller also when asking you on startup if you want to use external speaker or not..It will be on the screen till you select yes or no..

If it were me I would opt for the 3.2 to begin with...in other words dont try the 2.0 for awhile then go to the 3.2 get used to the machine on 3.2...it has a nice gold program to boot...

Keith
August 17, 2014 01:22AM
That's the right attitude Lowboy...

If you have hunted these sights proficiently the remainder is surely masked...

I love to hunt iron ...I dont really care if I dig a goody out of an iron site or not I enjoy the challenge of just BEATING the iron...dont get me wrong I love a good find like the next guy but the pure thrill of the challenge is enough to fuel me till a goody comes along...

The DEUS is tops right now for getting some more...Right tool for the job comes to mind...

Keith
August 17, 2014 01:22AM
thats the plan;-)
August 18, 2014 01:04AM
Another thing I can add about the DEUS in iron....the worse the dirt the better it works....Less iron falsing the more packed and mineralized the dirt is..

I hunted today in another site and the finds were coming rapid fire...it was some vicious dirt...I had wriiten th esite off as a non producer ...

Cant wait till the fall of the year to get this in some dead civil war sites...

I cant believe France has built a machine to get targets out of iron as efficiently as the 3.2 is doing...Some of the finds Im getting does not seem theoretically possible..

by the way I dug these buttons Today out of a site that was pegging the F.e. meter...88 ground bal....whats unique about them well there junk buttons but they al have Iron backs and they come out of soem serious iron.....

they already struggle to be heard in the dirt but the combo makes these type finds virtually non existant in iron...in good dirt you can do it if you are really listening but in bad dirt and iron mixed I seldom ever make these type finds....and they were 6- 7 inches deep in a lot of nails each and every one....I dug a tone of targets today but these were the most impressive in the ability to even be heard...

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2014 02:25AM by Keith Southern.
August 18, 2014 02:51AM
It seems to me Keith you have a new machine that hunts the areas that you had to give up on. Going back and rehunting your iron areas should produces some of those finds that would never see the light of day. It seems a lot of people still talk about depth but unmasking is the key to most of the relic sights that have a lot of iron. I think the 11 inch new coil will give you a bit more depth every inch counts. And once the iron is cleaned up I bet that Deus will be able to give you more depth. TX power I was reading that on your type of ground you may want to set that at 1?

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

August 18, 2014 11:23AM
Great video Keith!

Glad I didn't sell the DEUS, I need to update to that new program and the old sites again.

Aaron
August 18, 2014 01:38PM
Keith------I assume you are using the 9" coil in this situation.-----How does the 11" work in this scenario?
August 18, 2014 05:44PM
Sounds good Aaron...

by all means update to the 3.2...more audio intelligence in iron than on any machine I've seen to date..

Del...I have not used the 11..but in thick iron I would opt for the 9...the 9 can see stuff in iron that other machines struggle with while using a 5.

I may have a 11 in the works and if I get it I will report all I see..

again if you can get in the mindset to use the DEUS to your advantage in the densest of iron you will experience finds that seem unfindable..

learn the audio nuances and you will be rewarded..don't give up on it after a few hunts...let things click into place and you will start seeing results...Also you will find when running the 3.2 DEUS in a super sleuth mode that it's best be on a previously worked and hard hunted site that is no longer producing..then you will see the magic happen..always keep you silencer on negative 1 when trying to unmask on the next level and reactivity at 3..always nd keep it in 2 tone and disc for tone break at just enough for the specific site..it will vary...mid twos to mid sixes ..

I like to put the iron tone the lowest tonal Hertz possible..always did the high tone as high as possible..really let's the minute differences sort themselves out..

Keith
August 19, 2014 12:15AM
Cool.
IRONMAN PROGRAM
August 20, 2014 02:41AM
Theres been people asking about how I run the DEUS in iron...I have a simple program ....Start off with the disc at 6.3 and dial it back if you can ...6.3 works well though in different sizes of iron while retaining intelligence to iron sizing...

works best on mineralized ground with tons of iron

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2014 02:53AM by Keith Southern.
Love your way of showing us your program you may want to try your TX Power at 1 I read a lot from the guys across the pond and they use 1 for heavy iron...

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks Keith!
Re: IRONMAN PROGRAM
August 20, 2014 03:38PM
So ketih your disc is set to 6.3 so you get a high tone on every target above that?

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

Great post as usual Keith! I have ignored the Deus up till now, but as most of my Civil War sites are pounded and whats left is the dense iron sites...well...I just bought a Deus. I gave up on First Texas...I just feel that in the next year or two alle will see from them is rehashed machines such as the F19.
Was curious about the new Tesoro....but it's been what, a year? The American manufacturors are getting left in the dust by the Europeans..in particular XP and AKA. The deus is so revolutionary...besides wireless, as you said, with over the net updates, you can have an almost new machine! Couple that with a 5 year TRANFERABLE warranty...well nuff said. I am fired up to hit some of my CW sites this fall!
sekypaleo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great post as usual Keith! I have ignored the Deus
> up till now, but as most of my Civil War sites are
> pounded and whats left is the dense iron
> sites...well...I just bought a Deus. I gave up on
> First Texas...I just feel that in the next year or
> two alle will see from them is rehashed machines
> such as the F19.
> Was curious about the new Tesoro....but it's been
> what, a year? The American manufacturors are
> getting left in the dust by the Europeans..in
> particular XP and AKA. The deus is so
> revolutionary...besides wireless, as you said,
> with over the net updates, you can have an almost
> new machine! Couple that with a 5 year TRANFERABLE
> warranty...well nuff said. I am fired up to hit
> some of my CW sites this fall!

You can take me along with you & my new Deus Bill.-----I'm up for adoption & I don't eat much!! he he
Anytime you are in my area Del , you are welcome. BTW...still have and love my G2/Ultimate coil ...will never be without that set up!
Lawrenzo....Yes the disc breaks tone 1/2...if you opt for more tones like 3 4 or 5 you will assign the partitioning of those with a expert menu option instead of a disc setting...Again disc controls the 1/2 tone break only....if you want a single tone machine you still select 2 tone then set disc where you want it and turn the iron volume to zero so the low tone is muted...then you just have a single tone detector...

the reason I choose 2 tone on the IRONMAN program is im just worried about is it iron or not and I want to be able to distinguish one tone from another easily so I assign low tone as low as it will go Hz wise and high tone as high as it will go Hz wise..

now if your in a park or maybe wanting to cherry pick you can put it in 3 tone 4 tone or 5 tone and assign those tones to moveable then the 5th tone could be the highest Hz and the 3 and 4 tone could be tones of your choosing...and assign the tone Hz to your choosing in those movable tone partitions..

you can make a nickle sound like a quarter and a pulltab sound low as a nail if you like on the more than 2 tone option...

theres even a full tone mode that each number has a progressively higher tone......

Also Lawrenzo on the Tx power to be honest I have not seen that much difference from 1-3 Tx setting on 18Khz on depth obtained or for that matter falsing....Now on the 8Khz I see depth differences with slower Reactivity also in place ...4Khz is actually locked into 3 Tx power...

Paleo..thank's

And I might add that the digital age is coming of age in detectors...And I love Tesoros but till they get a design thats digital im afraid the tejon is tapped out on recovery speed...Im not sure in my mind that analog can ever get as fast as Digital...Digital is lightning fast and we are now seeing machines that can process the audio intelligently enough for our brains to comprehend....

A few years back the audio of digital lacked the nuance of analog audio...but things have caught up and full digital process machines are smoking fast and convey info that a few years ago we could not thought in terms of unmasking...

remember where people lived is where the finds are at ..And after the intial hunts the finds are hard to get to.. there still tons of stuff in those sites but with the wrong technology for hunted hard sites you will walk away from those sites claiming they are hunted out ...NEVER..!!

I would say if you could get all the non ferrous finds left right now out of an site thats 20'x20' thats been hunted for years and years and dismissed as hunted out you would see more finds than all the finds that has come out to date combined..

Thats why the right tools are so important to use on the supposedly DEAD sites..

Even with the latest tech we just get a percentage of whats really there.But some is better than non..LOL!!

Keith
In a few days I'm off to Denmark for five weeks. I'm taking my Deus and figured that I'd probably sell it there since the money I have tied up in it isn't doing me any good here in AZ, where there is little of the kind of historic sites you guys on the east coast have access to.

After reading Keith's latest stuff and playing with the Deus a bit more, I suspect I will keep it after all. The Deus is currently the top machine in Europe and it's easy to see why. I suspect however from reading various European forums that Keith's level of analysis and synthesis of the Deus' capabilities is the result of many more hours of thoughtful dirt fishing than these Euro guys have done. Ironic - the most capable analytical detector is European, but I suspect the most sophisticated user of it is a "good 'ol boy" from our own woods!

As far as Denmark, well, that's a whole different world. Most detector users there are deep into local history and see themselves as amateur archaeologists. Danish law says that anything older than the Protestant Reformation (about 1650) is presumed to be State property - part of the Danish National Heritage - it's called "Danfe". You have to record the details of the find and turn it in to your local museum for evaluation.

I know this sounds pretty strange to us here in the US, but the Danes are OK with it. The only problem is that with the explosive growth of metal detecting as a hobby and with TONS of historical finds popping up because detecting was never popular before, the system is overwhelmed.

Here's just one example of something found recently - a 400 year old ring likely belonging to the Queen of Denmark - never mind the Danish, just scroll down for the picture!

[www.dr.dk]

Anyway, I hope to find some neat stuff. I have joined the main Danish Detecting Club and will be going on a three day survey of a previously undetected island with a possible Viking port.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2014 11:33PM by lytle78.