Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Xpdeus

Posted by Mccrorysjewelry2 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Xpdeus
September 20, 2014 02:58PM
deathray, What is it about my post that seem fishy? Everything that I have stated is true. I can't explain why I'm finding so may old coins in areas that most guys gave up on years ago. That's why I have ask my friends to go take there detectors to this park and hunt a area and when there done I will go back over it with the deus. Then I will see if I can find any coins they missed. If it's the coins that I claim I have found at this park that you feel don't exist I will be more than happy to post them. Thanks, Kevin.
September 20, 2014 03:43PM
Kevin------I have set my Deus up with both of Eds programs you had listed (general coin hunting & trash hunting).----I thoroughly tested both of those programs against a well known persons (no name given) coin & trash programs.-------Result----I deleted this other persons programs & kept Eds two programs.----They worked better in my ground & just seem to give better (more distinct) hits on coins, I did a LOT of testing in this regard.------I did make a little in changes as you had large coins getting knocked out in your original settings.------Also, I set up with 4 tones (instead of 5) as this is what I prefer.-----The main settings stayed the same as I find them very good.----Thanks for posting.-----------Del
September 20, 2014 03:59PM
Del, Your very welcome. That's why I posted it so that we can all learn from each other. I have never tried a 4 tone program. Could you please share it with me? The program I shared started out in the basic one program and I made all of Ed's changes in that program and then saved it. Is that how you set your program up? Thanks, Kevin
September 20, 2014 04:15PM
I use a two tone program for just coins

0 to disc number = low tone
disc number to bottom of nickle = same low tone
nickle range = high tone
top of nickle to fatty indian = same low tone
Fatty indian to 97 =same high tone
97-99 notched

I realize I am giving up on many things including gold coins and gold rings. This is just a cherry pickin program (one of many I use) for old coins including Indians and silver. It is very easy to hunt in. High tone you dig. You can low tone from 0 to nickel to work around a disc setting and increase depth that way. A little noisy but very doable.

And I have no problem at all believing your posts. I have hunted behind myself. The Deus is a unique machine. It is the best thing I have found to making old sites productive.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2014 04:21PM by goodmore.
September 21, 2014 01:32AM
Mccrorysjewelry2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Del, Your very welcome. That's why I posted it so
> that we can all learn from each other. I have
> never tried a 4 tone program. Could you please
> share it with me? The program I shared started out
> in the basic one program and I made all of Ed's
> changes in that program and then saved it. Is that
> how you set your program up? Thanks, Kevin

Yes Kevin, that's the way I did it also.----I built my program off of Basic 1 in accordance with Eds settings.-----As to the 4 tones---I got Tone 1, 0-39 break point at 100mhz-----tone 2, 40-48 break point at 800 mHz-----tone 3, 49-76 break point at 400 mhz-----tone 4, 77-99 at 800 mhz.------It's a set up I like & seems to work well for me (for coin hunting).------I like Goodmores idea to but I wouldn't notch out 97-99.--------Here's something else I discovered that seems to work well----with the Deus, it does some chattering when you set it down to dig a target (coin, in this case) & it doesn't seem to matter where you have the coil pointed.----I found out if you keep the pin point engaged when you set it down to dig, it's as quiet as a church mouse.----You usually use the pin point function to zero in on the target before you dig anyway (or at least I do)----just leave it engaged when you lay the Deus down & dig the target, then dis-engage it when you stand back up to start swinging again.-----Of course all this is for coin hunting, I haven't done any relic hunting with the Deus yet.----------Del
September 21, 2014 02:29AM
Thanks Del, I will try that 4 tone program out when I get a chance. Kevin
September 21, 2014 02:51AM
Last week  after work I was hunting the baseball field of an old school site that dates back to the 1930's. Not many signals, but over the four short hunts my Deus bagged eight wheaties and five silver dimes (between 4" and 7" deep). While hunting that ball field the fourth evening a guy pulled in and asked if I had found anything. A minute later he told me that he had lived around the corner for over 50 years and he and his brother in law had heavily hunted this ball field over the years. From what he said it was obvious he didn't think there were any old coins left at that site. He thought they had cleaned it out. He was wrong!
Here is a pic of what I found this past week in this 'hunted out' ball field.  The Deus ROCKS!
HH

Duke

September 21, 2014 01:29PM
That's great Duke! So now you see what's happing to me. Guys are telling you they thought they got all the old coins in the school ball field just to find out they were very wrong. And thing about it is it wasn't because they weren't good at detecting or using there detectors. Like they said they have been hunting there for years. There is just something about the deus that has a way to lock on to good targets like coins. I'm not saying that other brands of detectors couldn't had found those coins. I'm just saying the deus for me has been the best detector I have personally used for coin hunting. Great job!
September 22, 2014 03:01AM
Thanks Kevin. I had a good week; You had a great week!

On your deep nickels, how deep are they averaging? Are you getting clean or bouncing audio between tone breaks? Are you getting any VDI readings?
The reason I ask is my Deus (with the 11" coil, at 12 kHz) is a beast on deeper high conductors but weak on deeper nickels. Depending on your answer I may need to drop down to 8 kHz to try and get cleaner nickel signals.

You may want to post pics of your finds. Here is a link to Keith's thread on posting pics.
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Best of luck to you.

Duke

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 03:22AM by tnduke.
September 22, 2014 04:25PM
Hello Duke, The nickels I found where 6 to 10 inches and they made a solid mid high tone. The vdi numbers jumped around some on the 10 inch v-nickel but, was still a solid hit. With the v-nickel there was a Indian head and a barber dime all with in a 4 to 6 inch of each other. all were deep. I could tell there were several targets because of the high tones and mid high tones I was getting. I was using 8 kHz and have been on all of my hunts except for the last one when I tried 12khz and found a Indian head. My plan is to go over the area with 8 kHz and 12 kHz and then 18 kHz. I will probably use 12 kHz again and then move on to 18 kHz. I was told to do this by Ed and Lawrenzo and I think I seen some where that Tom D. said to do an area that way. I tried a air test in my shop and seemed to me the nickel hit better on 18khz but, I found the v-nickel on 8 kHz at 10 inches. I'm wondering if nickels would come in better at 18 kHz because gold and nickels are so close in vdi numbers. Haven't had a chance to test at the park. Lawrenzo would know. I to use the 11 inch coil. I have one area that is super trashy that I will probably go with the 9 inch coil. I may even go over the area I have been hunting with the 9 inch coil in all 3 freq. to see if it picks up anything the 11 inch missed. A lot of trash in this park. Thanks, Kevin
September 23, 2014 02:47AM
Re my last post when I said no silver; maybe tomorrow. Well, that's exactly what happened. I went back the next day and immediately dug a wheatie, first target. Moved away from the repaired area and scanned some new ground then made my way back to the location where the wheatie had been unearthed. Hmm, got another reading in the same plug! A higher reading. 83. Redug the plug and found a 1941 Merc practically in the same hole the wheat had come from.

And on another occasion, I hunted an old house site that had been hunted back in the late spring by my son-in-law and me with AT Pros. I had visited it a couple weeks ago and found a silver Rosie and lots of trash with the F75SE. Back with the Deus this time and I unearthed in about 4 hours time, the front of a lined "C" Confederate Cavalry coat button with a 22 caliber hole perfectly centered in the C. Also a stud off a pair of coveralls: "ANVIL...Hard to Beat." Another interesting item, a brass post roughly ½ inch long with a large flat head on one end with a design of some sort on the flat head. And a flat button in excellent condition with shank intact. And lots of trash. Still, I was quite impressed with the finds since I had hunted the area hard at least two times before; once with the AT Pro and once with the Deus. But this time, I used the Ed Huffman coin program posted in this thread for clean ground (since iron has not been a big problem here.)

Yes, I am digging a lot of trash with the Deus. I am also getting some nice finds. Expensive for a beep-dig machine? Not if the alternative is no beep at all.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
September 23, 2014 03:05AM
I would first like to start out by saying congrats on the C Button...In any conditon they are hard to find...True 100% hard riding confederate cavalry...

its need to be restored...PRONTO...

Im always envious of the C Buttons.. I have dug one in my life....I wish I could dig them weekly ..You just cant...

Dont think of the DEUS as a beep Dig machine....I have Beep dig machines...the DEUS audio paints a Portrait through nuanced sound unlike any beep and dig Unit I have ever had...

I can say this....take a beep dig like a Tejon as a great example....it will find a lot of goodies in iron for sure..BUT.. you will dig alot of fasle hits to do it...

the DEUS for time spent on a site Vs the return ratio is heads above a Beep Dig unit....I myself can not call it that...it so much more..

Again great Button.

Keith
September 23, 2014 05:31AM
Thanks, Keith, for your kind words about the C button. Needs to be restored? Will appreciate details here or in PM as to what you mean.
I said beep-dig referring to so many trash items that read in VDI ranges of good targets. Nickels seem to lock in at high forties, very low fifties most times. Then I dig those numbers and find aluminum pie tin shards or pop tops. Then I think the nickels vary less so I try to only dig those numbers that peg at one value. Get a solid 53. Think nickel. It's a pop top. I'm listening, too. It's not just numbers. But the audio, as sweet as it is, only tells me just so much. I have to dig to discover the rest. Yes, I've only a short time with the Deus, so far, and I expect to get better at hearing what it's saying, but I can only go so fast.
Too, someone else called the Deus an expensive beep-dig machine and I was trying to make the point that sometimes a beep is as good as it gets. If there's something there, and it might be good, would you rather use a machine that gives you a beep, or one that does not? And if it might be bad? How many good finds do we make because someone else previously considered the signal to be iffy or no good and did not dig?

Again, Keith, thanks for your comments.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

September 23, 2014 01:36PM
Thanks for the update Wayne and congrats on the finds! That button reminded me of one of my favorite characters, The Wizard of the Saddle.

Those nickels really make me work for them, especially separating them from the small square tabs. One day I was complaining about digging a few of those sq. tabs to my E-Trac wielding hunting partner; towards the end of the day he showed me a plastic bag from the back of his truck full of hundreds of those tabs, folded beaver tail tabs and small canslaw. He told me those trash targets are so close to nickels on his E-Trac that he too digs them. But, he also digs a bunch of nickels. I've personally seen him dig several buffs and at least three silver war nickels. I've learned so much about this hobby in general and my Deus specifically by hunting with him. If he is reading this I want to say thank you!

I spoke to a well known gentleman about my jumpy nickel signals. He said that he thought my red clay based soil was contributing to the jumpy signals. I recently posted a pic of that V nickel so he could see just how red the soil turned it. He also suggested I set up an adjacent program with a wider tone break window and at a different freq. I did and it seems to help, when I use it.

Anyway, congrats again on the great finds and keep us posted.

Duke

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 01:47PM by tnduke.
September 24, 2014 05:02PM
Hi Kevin,
10" on a nickel with your Deus? That may sound unbelievable to some, but not to me. On my last trip to Kentucky for a family reunion I stopped by an old high school. I had my Deus with me so I decided to have a look around. The site had obviously been hammered. I only recovered 5 or 6 coins that afternoon, but one of them was a Mercury dime 8" to 9" deep (length of Lesche blade plus 2" more). 
On another occasion two months ago I was hunting with my E-Trac buddy. I got one of those faint, ghosty signals with VDI ranging from 85 to 89. I asked my partner to come over and check it with his E-Trac with the 13" Ultimate coil. I told him that I thought it was a deep wheaty, as a clad dime would probably not be that deep. After checking it, he said he agreed, deep penny. So I cut a deep plug and checked the hole with my Garrett P P; nothing. The ground was so hard packed that I gave up after a couple of minutes and started filling in the hole. My buddy then came over and asked me to remove the plug so he could re-check the hole with his Sunray. He got a signal with his probe. I finally recovered that wheat from 8" + deep. In this case I had depth with VDI intelligence. This was an exception, as most of the time beyond 7" I get no VDI reading or readings that range from 85 to 99. But one thing remains consistent on these deep coins: A faint, smooth, ghosty signal with a tinge of iron. If that particular signal pinpoints small & deep, I am digging.
HH

Duke
September 24, 2014 06:16PM
Yes Duke I am getting some very deep coin targets. The first thing I do is cut the plug out at the depth of my digger blade and pull all the dirt out. Then I put my pin pointer in the hole and see if it is getting a signal. Some of my coin targets I have had to dig another 2 or 3 inches to get to them. Some I was ready to give up on but, I'm glad I didn't. A lot of my Indian head pennies have been very deep. I have hunted over the past 10 years with Minelab, Whites, Garrett, Fisher and Tesoro detectors and have found a lot of deep old coins in this park but, I have never dug coins as deep as I have using the deus. I'm not saying the deus is the deepest detecting detector out there but, it does have some great depth if programed and ground balanced correctly. I have sold all my other detectors and the deus is the only thing I use now. I love the lightness of this detector and it doesn't bother my arms and shoulders to swing for hours. For me the deus is the only detector I need for my type of hunting. There is so much more I need to learn about the deus but, I hope in time I will master this detector and be as good with it as the experts that have helped me to get where I am now. To all these guys I say Thank you, Kevin
September 28, 2014 12:45AM
 NASA-Tom made the following post nine days ago:
"Years ago (on this forum) I posted/challenged folks to dig/recover just 12 fairly deep mid-tone (medium/low) conductors each/every time they hunt. If you are a relic hunter....... you already know why." NASA-Tom

I went back to that old farm house yesterday after work with my Deus to dig a few of those mid-tones I had previously passed over. An hour into the hunt I got a good tone but a jumpy 50 to 56 hit on my VDI that read between 4 and 5" deep. Here is a pic of the necklace I recovered from that hard-packed red clay soil. Once again Tom D., I thank you.
Duke

September 28, 2014 01:03AM
Very nice. Is it copper? It shows minimal corrosion.
September 28, 2014 01:05AM
That is sweet!
September 28, 2014 01:58AM
Hi Tom. I'm not sure what it's made of. It has very little deterioration. I had to soak it in tap water for an hour to get it free from the clay. It looks like a cross between gold and copper. It also looks quite old.
Btw, the propery owner told me the foundations of the house go back to 1860. I will keep you posted!
September 28, 2014 11:06AM
That's a very eye pleasing piece. It looks like rose gold. Let us know.
September 28, 2014 12:06PM
Yes, I was also thinking rose gold.... especially with the low ID numbers.
September 28, 2014 01:27PM
Could it possibly made out of brass or gold filled ? Just guessing like everyone else. Have had a lot of brass rings come in the shop that look that color. If you buff it up it looks like 18k gold. And they also made a lot of jewelry back then that was gold filled. That's my two cents.
September 29, 2014 12:44PM
Rose gold; I had not even considered that. I will take it to a jeweler and have it tested and cleaned. Thank you gents for your thoughts.

Hi Kevin. How did you do over the weekend? Any interesting finds?
October 01, 2014 02:42PM
Duke I haven't had a chance to get out and hunt. Got married and it's been busy in the Jewelry shop. Lots of jewelry repairs coming in since my only competition closed down. Wanted to ask anyone that wants to weigh in on this. Has anyone used the 4 kHz with there coin program on the deus. I have used all but the 4 kHz. Some where I seen where a few have used it for deep silver. What's a good program to try using the 4 kHz? Anyone. Thanks, Kevin
October 01, 2014 06:29PM
Hello Guys, Had my wife help me down load a picture of the coins I found at our city park. As you can see in the picture the coins are in bad shape. But you can see them enough to tell they are Indian Heads, a V- nickel, Buffalo nickel, A Flying eagle cent and a couple of rings. Thanks, Kevin

October 02, 2014 02:26AM
Hi Kevin. Congrats on your recent marriage; I wish you the very best. Thanks for posting the pic of the coins you uncovered from the worked out park. I suspect there are yet more hiding in that park. Keep us posted. 

Below is a picture of another piece of old jewelry I found at approx. 6" deep in the front yard of that old farm house. No question as to what it is made of; it is marked 'Sterling .925' on the back. 

Regarding your 4 kHz question, I am unable to comment as I've never even put my machine in 4 kHz. I did however hunt in 8 kHz on Sunday. I found 8 kHz much more susceptible to 'High Toning' canslaw than 12 kHz. So went back to 12kHz late Sunday and promptly bagged another silver Rosie dime!  Have a great weekend and If you go hunting, Good Luck!
Duke

October 02, 2014 07:18AM
Mccrorysjewelry2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The program I posted is for most old coins. As
> Lawrenzo pointed out to me with the notch at 97-99
> any silver larger than a quarter will be notched
> out. I believe the reason Ed has that on the end
> is for pop cans and other large items made of the
> same material. So today I am setting up a new
> program with no notch at the end and making a few
> adjustments recommended by Lawrenzo to see if I
> can come up with a program for old deep coins that
> also hits on all sizes of silver coins. Let you
> know what I find. What amazes me so far with this
> deus is the park I am hunting has been hit with
> hundreds of detectors since the 70's. My brother
> and I have hunted this park with a dozen different
> brands of detectors since the 70's and for me to
> find all these old coins within a 10' by 20' area
> that I know we hit hard over the years. I can't
> believe we missed that many coins. No one in my
> area hunts this park much anymore for the lack of
> finding any old coins anymore. I guess its true
> what Tom D. said. That 95% of the coins are still
> in these areas that people claim are hunted out.
> All I know is there is something about this deus
> that is different than any detector I have ever
> used at this park and I can't wait until I master
> this detector and see what's else is hiding in
> the ground. Thanks

apologize for the late reply!..thanks for posting your set up.
regardless how you have it set up,it apparently gives one an 'edge"
sniping for old coins.any break we can get hunting in the junk is definitely
worth paying attention to...best of luck,and hope to hear more....thanks!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
October 02, 2014 12:12PM
That silver is a lovely piece of work, Duke, and thanks for the tip on 8kHz and high toning canslaw. Will have to try the 12kHz on my aluminum pie tin shards.
What's the size of the brooch, just larger than a quarter or more half-dollar size?

And Kevin, those coins appear to have been in the ground a good while <g>. Are you doing any cleaning on them? If so, I would like to see the before and after pics. Those are terrific finds. For leftovers, especially!!
Appears you and your Deus are quite a team!

Pleasant Garden, NC

October 02, 2014 01:43PM
Hi Wayne. Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the silver brooch is a little larger than a quarter. I cannot believe the amount of goodies that small farm yard has produced. A few weeks ago I went there with the Deus and found five more Wheaties and some clad and found another wheat the same evening I dug up the necklace.

After hunting in 8 kHz I see what Kevin is talking about. It seemed to give a little stronger signal at depth but in my case seemed to move small pieces of canslaw into the higher conductive (copper, silver) range. When I am in 12 kHz with my 5th tone break set at 81 canslaw hardly, if ever hits high tone. In 8 kHz it did several times. Maybe we can get NASA-Tom to comment on the 12 vs. 8 kHz issue.

And yes, I agree with you regarding Kevin's finds; those are great coins, especially for leftovers! 
Duke