Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Xpdeus

Posted by Mccrorysjewelry2 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Xpdeus
October 02, 2014 03:32PM
I know Tom said that on the deus if you go over an area that has been hit hard and use the frew of 18 you will be amazed at what you find. I think 12 is really good for most relic hunting for what we are trying to find. I would use a reactivity of 2 unless it is a carpet of nails and junk and try and use your TX power for the type of area and what is in it.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
October 03, 2014 04:47AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know Tom said that on the deus if you go over an
> area that has been hit hard and use the frew of 18
> you will be amazed at what you find. I think 12 is
> really good for most relic hunting for what we are
> trying to find. I would use a reactivity of 2
> unless it is a carpet of nails and junk and try
> and use your TX power for the type of area and
> what is in it.

Keiths "ironman" program/settings is just dynamite if the site is loaded with iron.
Re: Xpdeus; a few recent finds
October 03, 2014 06:22AM
The Ed Huffman coin program for clean ground has been working quite well for me at the private campground I've been working fairly regularly since mid August.
I generally make some adjustments to it: I drop the DISC from 8 to around 6.2, thinking it may afford a little more depth and make the Deus a little more "findy."
I adjust the SENS to where the machine is a little "sparky" but not really noisy. Sometimes this is 80-85. Sometimes 90-95.
TX Power, I usually set at 2.
IRON VOLUME, I normally set to 3. Could probably drop to 2 and see no real change.
REACTIVITY, I sometimes use 3, but try to drop to 2, thinking this will provide a little more depth.
SILENCER, I don't use. Setting -1 for no SILENCER.
AUDIO RESPONSE, I leave at 5.
NOTCH, I don't use one.

I did briefly increase FREQUENCY today from 8kHz to 12kHz but was not comfortable with the VDI readings being different from what I was familiar with, so changed back to 8kHz.

I found this about 2.5 feet away from the edge of a concrete basketball court, and about 5 inches deep. It read a steady 53.

I found this last Sunday at the old house where the lined "C" confederate cavalry button front was found. It looks oddly familiar, but I can't place it. Can anybody help identify it?

Back on 09/25 I found this at the edge of a beach volleyball court, at about 9 inches deep.

And on 09/20, I found this WW1 coat button front in the yard of an old house where this past spring I found a WW1 cuff button in very good condition. This coat button front was badly bent about 110 degrees and broke in two while I was cleaning it.
It was about 7 inches deep.

I'm not going to say the Deus is the best detector there is. There are many I know nothing about. But it is a fine detector. Maybe a GREAT detector. Consider that I've only had the Deus for less than a month, and it has quickly spoiled me with its wireless headphones, crazy light weight, and superior ergonomics. It is FUN to use, as others have said. And to that, I will add, darn PRODUCTIVE, too. Easy to program. Easy to modify programs to suit changing locations and conditions. It doesn't have magical powers when it comes to telling trash from treasure, but it will find some of each that some other detectors won't. And my Deus CAN and DOES do a pretty good job of telling ferrous from non-ferrous targets, even when there are some of both under the coil.

Thanks for reading; thanks for looking.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: Xpdeus; a few recent finds
October 03, 2014 07:01AM
The item in question looks to be a "wick feeder" cap made of brass from an oil lamp. Hope that helps. Thanks for sharing!

Charles
Thanks, Charles
October 03, 2014 11:48AM
Charles, you're right. I knew I had seen that odd cutout in the item before; just could not place it. Thanks.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

October 03, 2014 12:23PM
Great report Wayne and NICE rings! Congrats and thanks for sharing with us. Regarding the Reactivity settings I too noticed a little more depth at 2. In the open ball field I adjusted the React to 1 (Silencer was at 0) and felt I had even more depth and VDI intelligence at depth vs. setting of 2. I have left both React at 1 and Silencer at 0 ever since.
Good luck to you this weekend.
Duke

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2014 02:33PM by tnduke.
October 06, 2014 02:40PM
Over the weekend I hunted with my Deus at a park and a school. Both sites date back to the 1930's. I was approached by two different locals at the park telling me the site had been hammered by detectorists for years. The park was VERY trashy; everything from 6" deep beavertails (sounded / VDI like deep nickels), to canslaw & square tabs, plus a healthy dose of balled up aluminum foil. The deep beavertails were the only trash that sounded like coins, and boy did they sound good!  As I have said many times, when programmed right and ground balanced right the Deus can kick a$$, even in modern trash.  My good find to trash ratio gets higher each time I go out; it is now VERY high. I ended the weekend with a small mound of clad, four silvers, two wheats and an interesting token that shows a couple 'engaging' on the reverse side and reads "Connect with a Capricorn". I am uncertain what the token is redeemable for, but I have an idea. Oddly, the x-rated token was recovered from the ball field of the elementary school! 

At the school I was able to run the Sens. up to 98 (12 khz, React at 1, Silencer at 0). With these settings the Deus is shockingly deep and gives clean signals / VDI at depth.
Here are some pics of what my Deus pulled from these two 'hammered' sites. 

Duke

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2014 02:43PM by tnduke.
October 06, 2014 03:28PM
As far as depth yes I would hunt at parks with say a reactivity of 1 and power 2-3 if there is not a lot of iron the more on the TX power the deeper she goes along with a lower reactivity. And of course your freq I would hunt at 8 and if you have the 11 coil I got as deep as 12 inches on a bullet with ease

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

October 06, 2014 03:39PM
You can set the machine up so the VDI reads the same for each different freq that is how I hunt...

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

October 06, 2014 04:43PM
From my weekend recoveries (see pictures above) it looks like my setting are optimal for my dirt and my machine. Why mess with success! I'm sticking with 12 kHz.
Duke
October 07, 2014 01:48AM
no arguing with that tnduke! nice going!
October 07, 2014 04:43AM
Congrats on the nice finds, Duke. Thanks for the info on settings.
You, too, LowBoy.

Pleasant Garden, NC

October 07, 2014 05:53PM
Hello guys, Here are some more of my recent finds at my city Park. Check out the seated dime. Very clean and not very warn. The Barbers aren't in very good shape. What amazes me is depending on what area of the park you hunt silver coins either come out real clean like the day they were lost or dark and spotty. Must be the difference in the soul. You should have seen my face when I hit the gold chain. I thought I had hit the jack pot. Then I checked it and seen it was plated. I thought I had a silver half until I picked it up and seen it was just a kids toy coin. The other round targets a token and a 1938 chauffeur public passenger token. The other targets are a old lipstick case and gun cartridges. Tried reactivity 1 and moved to a cleaner area of the park and dug only deep targets at first. Then I started to check out some 4 to 6 inch targets and got the gold plated chain and kids toy coin. Thanks, Kevin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2014 06:06PM by Mccrorysjewelry2.
October 07, 2014 08:21PM
Congrats Kevin on some great hunting! I love the silvers and especially the Seated!!! Whenever you get a minute please give us some more details. Were the silver dimes deep? Did you have clean audio signals / accurate VDI? Looking forward to the details.

Thanks for sharing the pic with us. HH,

Duke
October 08, 2014 01:25AM
Duke, yes the silver was deep. I would say 7 to 9 inches. I find that the audio is what I go by more than the VDI numbers. I always listen for a high tone and then check for a VDI number but, sometimes on deep targets I don't get a steady one. So I look at the horseshoe and see if I get a sliver of black at the top right corner. Then a move the coil back and forth over the target and move around it to see if I can hit the target in different direction. Then I put it in pin point and listen to see if I get a deep grawl sound. I personally like using audio on 5 so the deep targets sound loud. I know some like to use a lower audio to be able to tell the difference from shallow targets and deep. When I hunt I move the coil back and forth slowly. I used several Minelab over the years and they are slow moving detectors. Not like Tesoro, Whites, Fisher or Garrett detectors. I used 8 kHz and tried reactivity on 1. Probably could have hunted in reactivity 2 and still picked up the dime targets but, I just wanted to try something new. The Deus has really made going out to rehunt all my old hunting areas a joy. It's like I look forward to each hunt knowing I can find a lot of coins that others have missed including myself. And it being so light I'm not totally wore out after a long hunt. Hoping to get out tomorrow. It,s been raining for several days and it's supose to be nice. Kevin
October 12, 2014 02:43AM
Anyone want to share there tot lot program so I can try it out on my deus. Thanks, Kevin
October 14, 2014 12:33AM
Hi Kevin. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I was very busy with work last week. Thanks for your comments and the details regarding your recent finds. I completely agree with you that with the Deus the deep target audio report trumps any VDI readings.  I have not been able to hunt the last several days, between work and the much needed rain here. My partner and I did however get out yesterday but spent most of the day dodging more rain. I only managed 21 clad, 2 wheats and one ring. Both wheats were deeper, beyond 7", and generated that wonderful Deus deep coin audio signal. For some reason the VDI wasn't helpful on either (ranged from 83 to 96). 

Regarding your Tot Lot program, the last one I hit was quite trashy so I would use your Ed Huffman Trash program. Ed is a widely recognized pro and he obviously knows how to setup and use the Deus. If the site isn't real trashy you might try reducing the React. from 3 to 2 and raising the Sens. to 85+. If bottle caps are a problem you can try raising the Silencer from 0 to 1 or 2.
Good luck to you this week!
Duke
October 27, 2014 04:32AM
On Saturday my Deus once again proved it's quite capable in a park loaded with modern aluminum junk. 74 coins including one nice '45 Mercury and one 1925 Wheat in 7 hours. I was hunting at the same trashy park I visited three weeks ago. The Merc. was only 4" deep and the Wheat was 6" deep; I knew what they were before I dug them as the VDI was dead on. The Deus is a formidable machine; World class audio, outstanding Target ID and tonal discrimination. 
What a great way to spend a Saturday!
Duke

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 04:35AM by tnduke.
November 11, 2014 01:51AM
Had a wonderful hunt on Sunday with my ET buddy. He recovered a handful of clad, 7 wheats and a nice Mercury. I too found some clad, 5 wheats, my first Barber dime (an 1896 approx. 7" deep) and an interesting old VFW medal. The medal was about 4" deep and read 92 on my Deus VDI. I am uncertain as to the composition but it looks like copper. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
Duke

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2014 02:05AM by tnduke.
November 12, 2014 04:12PM
TnDuke, I didn't see your question about ground balancing. I apologize for this VERY tardy reply: Manual ground balancing for me all the way. I tried the auto-ground balance but it doesn't seem to update fast enough. When I am over a patch of ground in Auto ground balance, and THEN perform a manual ground balance......it is always a few points up or down from the Auto GB reading.....causing me to lose faith in the Auto-mode.again, TnDuke......I apologize for the lateness of this reply.
November 12, 2014 10:02PM
Hi Kevin. Thank you for your thoughts regarding GB on the Deus. The Auto Tracking is too slow or worse, it sometimes resets the GB while over trash or iron. When I get to a new site I now just put the machine into Manual and pump the coil a few times. Once I find some really clear ground I switch it into Pumping and confirm the proper GB is set; I then recheck it every so often. As you stated in a post a couple of years ago, the machine is quite capable when balanced properly. Please let me know if I should be doing something differently. Thanks again & Best of Luck to you.
Duke
November 13, 2014 04:06AM
I'll be more than happy to help you in any way possible. I am still on the learning curve for the Deus. I seem to have this thing about selling a machine before I get it learned. I have had a few phone consultations with NasaTom about hunting with the Deus. I learned more in 30 minutes talking to him than I did using the machine for a period of time.
I would strongly advise anyone who has never done a phone consultation with NasaTom to give it a try!!! Just keep a notebook and a good ink pen within reach!!! he is a fount of practical knowledge!!!!! Good luck my friend!!!
November 24, 2014 08:35PM
Hello Guys, Received a message from my friend Ed Huffman. He told me he had figured out a way to get rid of bottle caps without losing depth. This is a copy of that message. The program he is talking about is the Ed Huffman program I posted at the beginning of this topic. Hope it helps. Thanks, Kevin

Hello Kevin, How is everything going? Learned a new trick on the Deus to get rid of bottle caps with out losing depth by messing with the silencer. Run the same program I gave you and then make an identical one in the next slot but instead of 8khz run 18khz. Check those 90-91-92 vdi # that sound like silver but end up being bottle caps with the 18khz and if the vdi # goes up its good and if it goes down its a bottle cap! Thank you, Ed
November 24, 2014 10:50PM
Can I swap my wife,2 kids,3 grandkids and 1 dog fo one o dem wunder detectors??
November 25, 2014 08:53AM
what kind of dog,doc? lol.
November 25, 2014 03:23PM
Only if that dog digs my targets!!! he he------------P.S.--That dog isn't blind is he??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2014 03:32PM by D&P-OR.