Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Any ATX relic hunters out there?

Posted by Bootyhunter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Any ATX relic hunters out there?
August 17, 2014 03:52AM
The majority of posts I see about the ATX are from beach and water hunters. I'm wondering if anyone is using the ATX for relic hunting and if so how they are liking it compared to say a TDI, Infinium or GPX? There's really not that many youtube videos showing the ATX being used, I'm sure it's a great detector, just wondering if it's a good relic machine. Thanks for your replies.
Re: Any ATX relic hunters out there?
August 17, 2014 05:02AM
I have an ATX and it is plenty capable, outperforming both the Infinium and TDI, but in my opinion the heavy waterproof housing is holding it back for dry land applications. It needs to be repackaged for dry land use and the price out the door needs to get under the $2000 mark. It needs standard light weight accessory coils, not epoxy filled ones that make you buy a new telescoping shaft with each one. When Garrett does that prospectors and relic hunters will take another look at it. Until then I am afraid the ATX as is will remain relegated mainly to the beach hunting market.
August 17, 2014 10:02PM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have an ATX and it is plenty capable,
> outperforming both the Infinium and TDI, but in my
> opinion the heavy waterproof housing is holding it
> back for dry land applications. It needs to be
> repackaged for dry land use and the price out the
> door needs to get under the $2000 mark. It needs
> standard light weight accessory coils, not epoxy
> filled ones that make you buy a new telescoping
> shaft with each one. When Garrett does that
> prospectors and relic hunters will take another
> look at it. Until then I am afraid the ATX as is
> will remain relegated mainly to the beach hunting
> market.

Ok Steve, thanks for the reply! I am curious if the ATX is a big improvement over the Infinium for relic hunting, and I gather from reading reviews from you about it that it is. I really expected some videoes and reports of relic hunting with the ATX by now. Seems the market that has purchased the ATX is the beach hunting crowd. There are quite a few reviews and posts from folks beach hunting with it. Seems to me it would be a good choice relic hunting especially being waterproof to 10' and iron check and that good sized coil. I have seen the garrett video where it was used in Culpeper and it seemed to have performed pretty well, with that said I expected several folks to adopt it for relic hunting after that and videos and reports to start coming in, but that just hasn't happened. Isit the cost or the cost + weight that's keeping the relic hunters at bay? I would say those 2 factors and the fact that now an Infinium with an aftermarket shaft and 3 coils can be had for 1/3 of the price of the ATX. Thanks again!
August 17, 2014 10:07PM
Steve you say the ATX outperforms the TDI in relic hunting: How, depth,discrimination, or what? Thanks for your reply.
August 18, 2014 12:52AM
Depth and discrimination, but like everything detecting only by a little, not a lot. The TDI has many factors in its favor - huge coil selection at prices way lower than ATX coils, ability to hip or chest mount, lower purchase price up front, that offset the performance difference. You can get used TDI units with remaining warranty quite cheap. I suspect the TDI is "good enough" for a lot of the relic crowd. That will change if Garrett repackages the ATX into a lighter weight less expensive package - in my opinion anyway. The beach guys are used to heavy, more expensive detectors so it is less an issue for them and waterproof an obvious necessity instead of a nicety.
August 18, 2014 01:11AM
Just sold mine...and I was using it for relics...

really really heavy but looks awesome LOL!!!

Likes brass.....like buttons...dont use around alot of iron..even the civil war campsites have too much iron in them after awhile to get you tired...Use it in the right spots and it will blow your mind ..Use it in the wrong spot and it will make your angry...My bets sites to use it is overnight sites on tops of hills were the dirt and hotrocks appear....The overnight or short period remote camps dont have alot of iron like the main body heavy use camps...

Good depth on a button size low conductor....dirt does not hamper it one iota on depth as it shouldnt...its a P.I...

I think for relic hunting we still need a iron I.D thats reliable....

Keith
August 18, 2014 05:52PM
Thanks fot the quick reply Steve and keep up your informative posts.
August 18, 2014 06:47PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just sold mine...and I was using it for relics...
>
> really really heavy but looks awesome LOL!!!
>
> Likes brass.....like buttons...dont use around
> alot of iron..even the civil war campsites have
> too much iron in them after awhile to get you
> tired...Use it in the right spots and it will blow
> your mind ..Use it in the wrong spot and it will
> make your angry...My bets sites to use it is
> overnight sites on tops of hills were the dirt and
> hotrocks appear....The overnight or short period
> remote camps dont have alot of iron like the main
> body heavy use camps...
>
> Good depth on a button size low conductor....dirt
> does not hamper it one iota on depth as it
> shouldnt...its a P.I...
>
> I think for relic hunting we still need a iron I.D
> thats reliable....
>
> Keith

Ok thanks for the information. Question, what area of the country were you hunting in and how mineralized was the soil? Thanks in advance!
August 24, 2014 11:57PM
I see I am a little late with comments but I use my ATX for relic hunting bad ground. Have yet to see any bad ground that will cause this machine to become unstable. Gets very good depth ion the smallest of targets. Now for the bad..............Very difficult to tell the difference between a moderately deep nail and a bullet. Hunt a dug-in winter camp where they had huts and thousands of nails and you got some severe discrimination problems in determining low-hi targets. Yes, the ATX does have discrimination but it reduces your depth considerably.
August 25, 2014 07:53PM
Do use the ATX for relic hunting, But prefer the 5"X10" Infinium DD coil much easier to swing.

Paul (Ca)